For Immediate Release
Our Revolution Candidates Win Local Offices Nationwide
Our Revolution candidates make history, creating a new generation of progressive champions.
WASHINGTON - Our Revolution candidates claimed victories at every level of government in Tuesday’s elections. From school board, to the state legislatures, and statewide ballot initiatives, Our Revolution made history. Andrea Jenkins became the first out transgender woman elected to Minneapolis, Minnesota City Council, Elizabeth Guzman became one of the first Latinas to be elected to Virginia’s General Assembly, and Maine voters passed the first statewide Medicaid expansion. In total Our Revolution won 19 seats and one ballot initiative, with more results yet to be finalized.
“Last night’s victories show the strength of our progressive movement, even in the face of a presidential administration that wants to take us backward. We are incredibly proud of all of our candidates and local groups that worked so hard to support them,” said Our Revolution President Nina Turner. “Our Revolution’s candidates won in every part of America--blue and red, rural and urban. What we saw last night is a preview of what is to come and what is possible when local groups stick to progressive values, identify progressive champions, and advocate for an America that works for all. Our Revolution is building a bench of diverse progressive champions at all levels of government who can change their communities and grow the progressive movement.”
Our Revolution victories:
- Jennifer Caroll Foy, Virginia House of Delegates, District 2
- Elizabeth Guzman, Virginia House of Delegates, District 31
- Lee Carter, Virginia House of Delegates, District 50
- Larry Krasner, Philadelphia District Attorney
- Andrea Jenkins, Minneapolis, Minn. City Council, Ward 8
- Carlos Mechaca, New York City Council, District 38
- J.T. Scott, Somerville, Mass. Ward 2 Alderman
- Ben Ewen Campen, Somerville, Mass. Ward 3 Alderman
- Will Mbah, Somerville, Mass. Alderman At-Large
- Jasmin Santana, Cleveland, Ohio City Council, Ward 14
- Tamaya Dennard, Cincinnati, Ohio City Council At-Large
- Tristan Radar, Lakewood, Ohio City Council At-Large
- Gina Morganstein, Wallingford, Conn. Town Council
- Ted Terry, Clarkston, Georgia Mayor
- Brian Nowak, Cheektowaga, New York Town Council
- Anita Prizio, Allegheny, Penn. County Council, District 3
- Mik Pappas, Allegheny County, Penn. Magistrate, District 31
- Anna Payne, Middletown, Penn. Township Auditor
- Noelia Corozo, San Mateo/Foster City, California School Board
- Mainers for Healthcare
A full list of all of our 2017 election results can be found here.
SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT
Never Miss a Beat.
Get our best delivered to your inbox.
Our Revolution supports progressive champions at every level of government. By supporting candidates backed by people, not corporations, we are aiming to transform American politics to make our political and economic systems responsive to the needs of working families. With this election, we are one step closer to accomplishing that goal.
In the November 7, 2017 General Election Our Revolution endorsed:
59 candidates in eighteen states including:
- 26 women candidates
- 11 African and African-American candidates
- 7 Latinx candidates
- 4 Asian American/Pacific Islander candidates
- 4 openly LGBTQ candidates
2 ballot initiatives:
- Mainers for Health Care
- Ohio Drug Price Relief Act
This is the world we live in. This is the world we cover.
Because of people like you, another world is possible. There are many battles to be won, but we will battle them together—all of us. Common Dreams is not your normal news outlet. We don't survive on clicks. We don't want advertising dollars. We want the world to be a better place. But we can't do it alone. It doesn't work that way. We need you. If you can help today—because every gift of every size matters—please do. Without Your Support We Won't Exist.
Please select a donation method:
Our Revolution will reclaim democracy for the working people of our country by harnessing the transformative energy of the “political revolution.” Through supporting a new generation of progressive leaders, empowering millions to fight for progressive change and elevating the political consciousness, Our Revolution will transform American politics to make our political and economic systems once again responsive to the needs of working families.
Our Revolution has three intertwined goals: to revitalize American democracy, empower progressive leaders and elevate the political consciousness.