

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
Today, Congresswoman Barbara Lee released the following statement in response to the White House's announcement of a "peace plan" with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Blue and White Party Chairman Benny Gantz:
"Make no mistake - this is not a peace plan; it's a one-sided annexation plan that harms the goal of a two-state solution. If we truly want to achieve peace in the Middle East, we must actively engage both Israelis and Palestinian leaders, something the Trump Administration has consistently failed to do.
Today, Congresswoman Barbara Lee released the following statement in response to the White House's announcement of a "peace plan" with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Blue and White Party Chairman Benny Gantz:
"Make no mistake - this is not a peace plan; it's a one-sided annexation plan that harms the goal of a two-state solution. If we truly want to achieve peace in the Middle East, we must actively engage both Israelis and Palestinian leaders, something the Trump Administration has consistently failed to do.
"Trump's destructive annexation plan does not represent the bipartisan foreign policy of the United States, and I will continue to work to reverse the damage this administration has done to lasting peace in the Middle East. We must advance a viable, secure, and just two-state solution."
Congresswoman Barbara Lee, a Democrat, represents the 13th District in California.
"Minnesota needs impartial investigations into the shootings of American citizens on our streets," said Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz. "Trump’s left hand cannot investigate his right hand."
President Donald Trump's administration has officially denied law enforcement officials in Minnesota access to evidence related to the fatal shooting of Minneapolis intensive care nurse Alex Pretti last month.
In a Monday announcement, the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) revealed that the FBI on Friday delivered a formal notification informing the agency that will not receive "access to any information or evidence that it has collected" related to Pretti's shooting at the hands of federal immigration enforcement officials.
BCA described the refusal to share evidence as "concerning and unprecedented," but it vowed to conduct a "thorough, independent, and transparent" investigation into the Pretti shooting "even if hampered by a lack of access to key information and evidence."
In addition to requesting evidence gathered in the Pretti shooting, the BCA reiterated its call for federal law enforcement to share whatever evidence it has collected in relation to last month's fatal shooting of Minneapolis mother Renee Good and the shooting of Venezuelan immigrant Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis.
"BCA investigations of these incidents continue," the agency vowed. "The BCA will present its findings without recommendation to the appropriate prosecutorial authorities for review."
Democratic Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz slammed the Trump administration for denying his state's officials access to evidence, and he demanded a real investigation into Pretti's killing.
"Minnesota needs impartial investigations into the shootings of American citizens on our streets," he wrote in a social media post. "Trump’s left hand cannot investigate his right hand. The families of the deceased deserve better."
In a Sunday interview with CBS News Minnesota, Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty revealed that her office was not getting any help from the federal government in its investigation into the Pretti shooting, though she said her team was continuing to gather evidence and interview witnesses.
Moriarty emphasized that her office, which is currently working with the Minnesota BCA in its investigation, can bring criminal charges against federal immigration officers if they have enough evidence to do so, even without the cooperation of the Trump administration.
The removal of Gail Slater "raises significant concerns about this administration’s commitment to enforcing the antitrust laws for the betterment of consumers and small businesses," the lawmakers warned.
A group of Democrats in the US Senate is pressuring President Donald Trump's Justice Department to hand over any and all communications between the agency and corporate lobbyists related to last week's ouster of antitrust chief Gail Slater, which came weeks before the scheduled start of the closely watched Live Nation-Ticketmaster trial.
In a Saturday letter to Attorney General Pam Bondi—herself a former corporate lobbyist—the Democratic lawmakers raised concerns about the timing of Slater's departure, pointing to Live Nation-Ticketmaster's ongoing "attempts to evade responsibility by convincing Justice Department leadership to settle the case on terms favorable to the company, rather than fans, artists, and independent venues."
Slater's ouster as head of the Justice Department's Antitrust Division less than a year after she was confirmed in a bipartisan vote, wrote Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) and six other Democratic lawmakers, "raises significant concerns about this administration’s commitment to enforcing the antitrust laws for the betterment of consumers and small businesses, including seeing through its cases against monopolies."
The antitrust suit against Live Nation, Ticketmaster's parent company, was launched in 2024 by the Biden administration and a coalition of state attorneys general. Their complaint accuses Live Nation of unlawful anticompetitive conduct that "allows them to exploit their conflicts of interest—as a promoter, ticketer, venue owner, and artist manager—across the live music industry and further entrench their dominant positions."
Semafor reported earlier this month that Live Nation executives and lobbyists "have been negotiating with senior DOJ officials" in an effort to "avert a trial over whether the company is operating an illegal monopoly." Those negotiations are reportedly being held outside of the antitrust division previously headed by Slater, who was ousted days after Semafor published its story.
The American Prospect reported that Kellyanne Conway and "MAGA influencer" Mike Davis are among those lobbying the Justice Department on behalf of Live Nation.
In their Saturday letter, the Senate Democrats called on the Justice Department to provide "the dates of each meeting with any representatives of Live Nation-Ticketmaster and the individuals present from the Justice Department, White House, or Live Nation-Ticketmaster for each meeting" and "all communications" between the DOJ and Live Nation-Ticketmaster regarding the dismissal of Slater or her deputies.
One of those deputies, Roger Alford, unloaded on the Bondi-led Justice Department weeks after his firing last summer for "insubordination." According to Alford, the DOJ is "now overwhelmed with lobbyists with little antitrust expertise going above the antitrust division leadership seeking special favors with warm hugs."
Alford pointed specifically to the merger settlement deal that the Justice Department cut with Hewlett Packard Enterprise and Juniper Networks last year. Bondi's chief of staff reportedly overruled Slater's team to push through the settlement.
The Live Nation-Ticketmaster antitrust challenge could be "the next casualty" of the lobbyist-infiltrated DOJ, Alford warned.
The head of Amnesty International slammed the "reprehensible" attacks on Albanese "based on a deliberately truncated video."
Human rights advocates, United Nations officials, and prominent international artists are among those defending UN independent Palestine expert Francesca Albanese in recent days amid a smear campaign by several European foreign ministers and pro-Israel groups, who are demanding her firing over alleged antisemitic remarks she never made.
The foreign ministers of Austria, the Czech Republic, France, and Germany have publicly called for Albanese's resignation or termination after the pro-Israel group UN Watch—which is unaffiliated with the world body—circulated an edited video of the 48-year-old Italian jurist purportedly calling Israel "the common enemy of humanity" during a February 7 speech at a forum in Doha, Qatar organized by Al Jazeera.
French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot said last week that he will demand Albanese’s resignation or removal during the upcoming UN Human Rights Council meeting, calling her alleged remarks “outrageous and reprehensible."
Other European officials piled on, with German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul calling her continued service as a UN expert “untenable."
However, what's "reprehensible," Amnesty International secretary general Agnès Callamard argued Saturday, is that the foreign ministers attacked Albanese "based on a deliberately truncated video to misrepresent and gravely misconstrue her messages."
This is what Albanese actually said in Doha:
The fact that instead of stopping Israel, most of the world has armed, given Israel political excuses, political sheltering, economic and financial support. This is a challenge. The fact that most of the media in the Western world has been amplifying the pro-apartheid genocidal narrative is a challenge. At the same time, here also lays the opportunity. Because if international law has been stabbed in the heart, it's also true that never before the global community has seen the challenges that we all face. We who do not control large amounts of financial capitals, algorithms, and weapons, we now see that we as a humanity have a common enemy, and freedoms, the respect of fundamental freedoms is the last peaceful avenue, the last peaceful toolbox that we have to regain our freedom.
“The ministers that have spread disinformation must act beyond merely deleting their comments on social media—as some have done," Callamard said. "They must publicly apologize and retract any calls for Francesca Albanese’s resignation. Their governments must also investigate how this disinformation happened with a view to preventing such situations."
“If only these ministers had been as loud and forceful in confronting a state committing genocide, unlawful occupation, and apartheid as they have in attacking a UN expert," she added. "Their cowardice and refusal to hold Israel accountable stand in stark contrast to the special rapporteur’s unwavering commitment to speaking truth to power."
On Monday, Philippe Lazzarini, who heads the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA), said in a statement that "how we act in the face of fake news and vicious disinformation campaigns is a sign of our moral compass."
"Over and over during the war in Gaza, we have seen how coordinated campaigns seek to discredit and silence those who speak out about human rights impacts and violations of international humanitarian law," Lazzarini added. "The latest attacks on Francesca Albanese—an independent expert mandated... to monitor the situation in the occupied Palestinian territory—aim at silencing her voice and undermining the few remaining independent human rights reporting mechanisms."
Israeli forces have killed more than 370 UNRWA staff members since October 2023. Lazzarini and others have also accused Israeli forces of torturing UNRWA staffers in a bid to force false confessions corroborating their dubious allegations that members of the humanitarian agency are Hamas fighters. The International Court of Justice (ICJ)—which is weighing a genocide case against Israel filed by South Africa—found last year that UNRWA has not been infiltrated by Hamas, as claimed by Israeli leaders.
More than 100 prominent international actors, musicians, writers, and other creatives with Artists for Palestine have also signed an open letter supporting Albanese.
"According to the Israeli army itself, at least 83% of those murdered are civilians," the letter states. "What has the French state done about this for over two years? It has not imposed sanctions against a state that is openly—and even proudly—flouting international law."
"Worse yet, through political, diplomatic, moral, and material support, the French state, like many of its European counterparts, allowed this senseless massacre to continue, thereby violating all its legal obligations," the letter continues. "On July 29, 2025, a complaint against [French President] Emmanuel Macron, Jean-Noël Barrot, and other members of the French executive was filed by 114 lawyers before the [International Criminal Court], for 'complicity in genocide in Gaza.'"
The letter's signers including actors Javier Bardem, Mark Ruffalo, and Susan Sarandon; musicians Brian Eno, Peter Gabriel, and Annie Lennox; and authors Annie Ernaux and Alice Walker.
Albanese has long been targeted for her vocal opposition to what she and a UN expert panel on which she did not serve call Israel's genocide in Gaza. The administration of President Donald Trump has imposed sanctions on her after she highlighted US companies' complicity in the Gaza slaughter. US officials have also attempted to discredit her work and called for her removal.
Reminder that Francesca Albanese is not being targeted for a sentence twisted and lifted out of context in a speech. She is being targeted for daring to name the names of giant companies complicit in the crime of genocide. They would rather destroy international law than be accountable to it.
[image or embed]
— Naomi Klein (@naomiaklein.bsky.social) February 15, 2026 at 9:32 AM
Albanese responded to the attacks by highlighting the number of Palestinian children killed by Israeli forces in Gaza, saying on X Friday that "three European governments accuse me—based on statements I never made—with a virulence and conviction that they have NEVER used against those who have slaughtered 20,000+ children in 858 days."
Albanese underscored that her Doha remarks clearly meant that "the common enemy of humanity is THE SYSTEM that has enabled the genocide in Palestine, including the financial capital that funds it, the algorithms that obscure it, and the weapons that enable it."