For Immediate Release
Massive $81 Billion Increase in Investment in Nuclear Weapons to Fuel Posturing
WASHINGTON - Nobel Peace Prize Laureate ICAN (International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons) and PAX today released the 2018 ‘Don’t Bank on the Bomb’ Report, which found a massive increase of USD 81 billion in new investment in 2017 compared to 2016. The report shows 20 companies in particular stand to profit the most from the increase in nuclear threats.
- A total of USD 525 billion (an increase of USD 81 billion) was made available to the nuclear weapon producing companies, of which USD 110 billion came from just three companies: BlackRock, Vanguard and Capital Group
- 329 banks, insurance companies, pension funds and asset managers from 24 countries invest significantly in nuclear weapons
- The top 20 nuclear weapon producing companies stand to benefit the most from this increased nuclear threat, most of which have dedicated significant lobbying resources in Washington DC
- On a positive note, since the adoption of the UN Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons 30 companies have ceased investing in nuclear weapons.
- Two of the top five largest pension funds in the world are divesting from nuclear weapons.
Susi Snyder, of PAX and co-author of the Report highlighted the positive findings: “The nuclear ban Treaty has created a movement towards divestment, reflected in the reduction in the number of companies investing in nuclear weapons, and an increase in financial institutions comprehensively prohibiting any investment. Investments are not neutral, these companies should be congratulated for standing on the side of humanity.”
This is the world we live in. This is the world we cover.
Because of people like you, another world is possible. There are many battles to be won, but we will battle them together—all of us. Common Dreams is not your normal news site. We don't survive on clicks. We don't want advertising dollars. We want the world to be a better place. But we can't do it alone. It doesn't work that way. We need you. If you can help today—because every gift of every size matters—please do. Without Your Support We Simply Don't Exist.
Please select a donation method:
The International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN) is a coalition of more than 400 non-governmental organisations in 95 countries. We are calling on governments to launch negotiations on a treaty prohibiting nuclear weapons, which would place them on the same legal footing as chemical and biological weapons and help pave the way to their complete elimination.