For Immediate Release
CAIR, 54 Other Civil Rights Groups Demand Removal of White Supremacist Trump Adviser Stephen Miller
WASHINGTON - The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, today joined 54 other civil rights organizations in sending a letter to President Donald Trump demanding that he fire Stephen Miller as his senior adviser for policy for propagating white supremacist, anti-immigrant sentiments.
The letter highlights Miller’s promotion of hate speech spewed by neo-Nazis and white supremacists and emphasizes that his white supremacist agenda -- including the Muslim Ban and family separation at the southern border -- has actively harmed immigrants, people of color and marginalized communities. The letter notes, “Allowing him to remain a White House advisor is a betrayal of our national ideals of justice, inclusion, and fairness.”
Last week, CAIR separately called for Miller’s resignation after the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) revealed a series of white supremacist, racist, anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim emails sent by Miller to Breitbart News. Breitbart News is a white supremacist mouthpiece that traffics in misogynistic and racist stories targeting women, people of color and immigrants.
SEE: CAIR Calls for Resignation of Trump Adviser Stephen Miller After Revelation of White Supremacist Emails
SEE: Stephen Miller’s Affinity for White Nationalism Revealed in Leaked Emails
The SPLC’s report sheds light on how President Trump’s senior policy adviser Stephen Miller between 2015 and 2016 sent 900 emails to “Breitbart News” seeking articles that would cover among other things:
- Literature that includes the white nationalist and neo-Nazi themes of “white genocide” or “great replacement” of whites with nonwhites
- Include immigration stories that selectively covered of offenses committed by nonwhites
- Protect the sales of confederate flags on Amazon and protecting Confederate monuments
- Limit or end immigration, including Muslim migration
- Allegedly, discuss with anti-Muslim hate leader Pamela Geller, the planning a gay pride parade though Muslim neighborhoods to somehow create division
- Promote comments made by anti-Muslim reverend Franklin Graham advocating an end to Muslim immigration to the U.S.
This is the world we live in. This is the world we cover.
Because of people like you, another world is possible. There are many battles to be won, but we will battle them together—all of us. Common Dreams is not your normal news site. We don't survive on clicks. We don't want advertising dollars. We want the world to be a better place. But we can't do it alone. It doesn't work that way. We need you. If you can help today—because every gift of every size matters—please do. Without Your Support We Won't Exist.
Please select a donation method:
CAIR is America's largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. Its mission is to enhance the understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.