EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- Corporate Win: Supreme Court Says Monsanto Has 'Control Over Product of Life'
- Cornel West: Obama 'Is a War Criminal'
- Ignoring Bee Crisis, EPA Greenlights New 'Highly Toxic' Pesticide
- In 'March Toward Disaster,' World Hits 400 PPM Milestone
- Revealed: How US State Department 'Twists Arms' on Monsanto's Behalf
Today's Top News
12-Year-Old War Peace Activist (and Her Mother) Arrested for Trespassing at Sen. Tom Harkin's Office
DES MOINES, Iowa — A 12-year-old girl has been arrested for
trespassing after she allegedly refused to leave U.S. Sen. Tom Harkin's
office in Des Moines while protesting the war in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Frankie Hughes was arrested late Wednesday. Her mother, Renee Espeland, who was standing outside the Iowa Democrat's office, was ticketed for contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
Police were called after another woman, Christine Gaunt, allegedly refused to leave Harkin's office when it closed. Police found Gaunt and Hughes in the office, and both were arrested.
Sally Frank, a law professor at Drake University, says she will probably defend the protesters. She says she thinks police were "trying to put a scare into the peace movement."
More at the DesMoines Register, here.