For Immediate Release
Biden’s 1st 100 Days: Public Citizen Progress Report
WASHINGTON - Ahead of President Biden’s 100th Day in office, Public Citizen released a progress report outlining the administration’s accomplishments and what must be done in the coming months to continue building a political system that serves the people, rather than corporations and the super-wealthy.
“President Biden began his administration with promises to produce enough COVID-19 vaccines to inoculate all adult Americans, re-enter longstanding climate agreements, and put people over corporations. In his first 100 days, Biden has made good on those promises – but much work remains,” said Lisa Gilbert, executive vice president at Public Citizen. “Among other things, we look forward to continuing to work with the Biden administration to build a more just political system that serves the people, rather than corporations and the super-rich.”
Public Citizen’s progress report includes plaudits for critical accomplishments in the President’s first 100 days, as well as 60+ near-term recommendations that cover more than a dozen issue areas, including pandemic response, rebuilding our democracy, climate change, health care, Wall Street accountability, taxes and budget, regulations, global trade, and more. Among the organization’s top priorities:
- Implement a $25 billion global vaccine manufacturing program to end the pandemic and build globally-distributed vaccine infrastructure for future pandemics.
- Ensure both the jobs and families plan(s) clearly address income inequality and that Wall Street and corporations pay their fair share of forthcoming recovery and investment packages, to the extent they are offset.
- Be even more vocally in support of priority legislation like the For the People Act and filibuster reform to enable its passage
- Support efforts in Congress to advance the Medicare for All Act of 2021
- Increase the corporate rate to levels on the books before Trump’s 2017 tax law, but at the very least stay strong at 28%.
- Commit to lowering the Pentagon topline figure substantially in the administration’s next request to Congress, bringing it to or below the FY21 figure, and repurpose these cost savings to meet people’s day-to-day needs.
SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT
Never Miss a Beat.
Get our best delivered to your inbox.
The 100 Day Progress Report builds on Public Citizen’s Blueprint for the Biden Administration – a series of recommendations released last fall to guide the Biden administration through the country’s most pressing challenges, critical needs, and key opportunities.
This is the world we live in. This is the world we cover.
Because of people like you, another world is possible. There are many battles to be won, but we will battle them together—all of us. Common Dreams is not your normal news site. We don't survive on clicks. We don't want advertising dollars. We want the world to be a better place. But we can't do it alone. It doesn't work that way. We need you. If you can help today—because every gift of every size matters—please do. Without Your Support We Simply Don't Exist.
Please select a donation method:
Public Citizen is a national, nonprofit consumer advocacy organization founded in 1971 to represent consumer interests in Congress, the executive branch and the courts.