For Immediate Release
New Poll: Americans Support Climate Financial Reforms
Polling from Data for Progress finds that climate financial reforms are overwhelmingly popular among voters across different age groups, education levels, and geographies.
WASHINGTON - In a new poll from Data for Progress we assessed voter support for climate financial regulatory reform and found strong majorities in support of federal action to prevent a future financial and economic crisis driven by climate change.
SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT
Never Miss a Beat.
Get our best delivered to your inbox.
- A majority of voters (60 percent) agree the federal government should enforce more financial safeguards on big banks and insurers to prevent a future financial and economic crisis driven by climate change
- A majority of voters (62 percent) agree the government should enact mandatory climate risk disclosure rules
- By a 35-percentage-point margin, voters prefer for the federal government to enforce climate risk disclosure rules rather than let Wall Street “self-regulate” their climate risk disclosures
- Nearly two-thirds of voters (63 percent) agree the Treasury and Federal Reserve should play an active role in protecting the financial system from a future financial crisis driven by climate change
- A majority of voters (62 percent) agree that banks making investments in industries that exacerbate climate change should also make investments in frontline communities
Read the full polling memo which can be found on the Data for Progress website.
This is the world we live in. This is the world we cover.
Because of people like you, another world is possible. There are many battles to be won, but we will battle them together—all of us. Common Dreams is not your normal news site. We don't survive on clicks. We don't want advertising dollars. We want the world to be a better place. But we can't do it alone. It doesn't work that way. We need you. If you can help today—because every gift of every size matters—please do. Without Your Support We Simply Don't Exist.
Please select a donation method:
Data for Progress is a progressive think tank and polling firm, which arms movements with data-driven tools to fight for a more equitable future. DFP provides polling, data-based messaging, and policy generation for the progressive movement, and advises campaigns and candidates with the tools they need to win. DFP polling is regularly cited by The New York Times, The Washington Post, MSNBC, CBS News, and hundreds of other trusted news organizations.