For Immediate Release
Anya Silverman-Stoloff, firstname.lastname@example.org
PGA Terminates Agreement With Trump, 2022 Championship From Trump Bedminster
Women's group that urged professional golf to sever ties with Trump in 2016 reacts.
WASHINGTON - Late last night, the Professional Golf Association (PGA) of America’s Board of Directors voted to exercise the right to terminate the agreement to play the 2022 PGA Championship at Trump’s Bedminster golf course.
In 2017, UltraViolet, a leading national women’s organization, called on the USGA and PGA to sever ties with Donald Trump, arguing that it was wildly inappropriate for the LPGA and the PGA to give millions of dollars in revenue, free advertising and branding to Donald Trump.
In reaction to the Professional Golf Association's announcement, Shaunna Thomas, co-founder and executive director of UltraViolet, issued the following statement:
“The PGA should have severed ties with Donald Trump a long time ago. While we welcome this announcement and repudiation of Trump, it is a little late.
“When challenged in 2016 and 2017, the LPGA defended its relationship with Trump and went so far as to force players in the US Women’s Open to play on a course named for a serial sexual abuser and misogynist, knowing that their participation in the tournament would directly enrich Donald Trump and his personal brand.
“The PGA knew exactly who Donald Trump - a racist, misogynist, authoritarian - was from day one and are disappointed that it took this long for them to act.
“And while we welcome the PGA’s decision to pull the 2022 Championship from Bedminster - they must do more. They must pull any and every tournament from Trump-owned golf courses going forward.
In 2016, UltraViolet launched a campaign calling on the USGA, PGA LPGA to sever ties with Trump. As part of the campaign, UltraViolet:
- Flew a plane banner over the U.S. Women’s Open at Trump National in Bedminster, calling out the USGA for holding that tournament at a golf course owned by a self-professed sexual predator.
- Commissioned a digital truck billboard to circle the Bedminster golf course with messages from news columnists about the USGA’s decision to hold the US Women’s Open at Trump’s golf course.
- Held a rally with UltraViolet and CREDO members outside Trump’s Bedminster course, expressing outrage at the USGA for doubling-down on their relationship with Trump and putting the athletes competing at the US Women’s Open in the impossible position of having to defend playing on a sexist, serial sexual abuser’s golf course.
- Flew plane banners over the Bank of Hope Founders Cup in Arizona, the ANA Inspiring Women in Sports Cup in California, the US Men’s Open in Wisconsin, and the US Senior Open in Massachusetts, calling on the LPGA and USGA to “Dump Trump.”
- Held a protest at the Bank of the Hope Founders Cup. As part of the action, UltraViolet members handed out golf balls and golf ball-patterned beach balls that read: “LPGA: Dump Trump.”
- Organized several progressive advocacy organizations - including Color of Change, Courage Campaign, CREDO, Democracy for America, NARAL Pro-Choice America & Make It Work - in a letter penned a letter urging the LPGA to move the U.S. Women’s Open out of Trump National Golf Course. The letter was sent to USGA and LPGA corporate sponsors.
- More than 100,000 UltraViolet members signed the petition calling on the USGA and LPGA to show young golfers, especially women and people of color, that it stands for an inclusive and strong future to the support by severing ties with Trump and moving the tournament. A petition by CREDO, also calling on the USGA to sever ties with Trump and move the tournament, was signed by more than 174,923 people.
This is the world we live in. This is the world we cover.
Because of people like you, another world is possible. There are many battles to be won, but we will battle them together—all of us. Common Dreams is not your normal news site. We don't survive on clicks. We don't want advertising dollars. We want the world to be a better place. But we can't do it alone. It doesn't work that way. We need you. If you can help today—because every gift of every size matters—please do. Without Your Support We Simply Don't Exist.
Please select a donation method:
UltraViolet is an online community of over 550,000 women and men who want to take collective action to expose and fight sexism in the public sector, private sector and the media. Find out more at WeAreUltraViolet.org