For Immediate Release
Sen. Lautenberg Leaves Incredible Legacy for Women in U.S. and Around the World
NEW YORK - Planned Parenthood Federation of America and Planned Parenthood Affiliates of New Jersey released the following statements honoring the life of New Jersey Senator Frank R. Lautenberg:
Statement of Cecile Richards, President, Planned Parenthood Federation of America:
“Today we have lost an unwavering champion for women in the U.S. and around the world. While he may be gone, Senator Lautenberg leaves an incredible legacy which will continue to benefit millions of women for generations to come. Throughout his distinguished career he fought to protect and expand U.S. support for international women’s health programs, comprehensive sex education, and access to safe, legal abortion. Thanks to Senator Lautenberg, millions of women and families have and will continue to lead healthier, more productive lives. We are deeply grateful for his lifetime of service, and our thoughts are with his family during this difficult time.”
Statement of Ed Remsen, Executive Director Planned Parenthood Affiliates of New Jersey:
“For nearly 30 years, Senator Lautenberg fought in Washington on behalf of New Jersey women – scoring victories that have helped improve the lives of them and their families. When some in Congress attempted to eliminate funding for Planned Parenthood’s preventive health services, Senator Lautenberg was one of our strongest allies – fighting back and working with us to successfully defeat these attacks on women’s health. His leadership in the Senate will be greatly missed, but never forgotten.”
Senator Lautenberg’s Support for Women’s Health in the U.S. and Globally:
• Senator Frank R. Lautenberg fought to protect Planned Parenthood against congressional attempts to defund Planned Parenthood health centers, which would have reduced women’s access to cancer screenings and essential contraception.
• Fought to pass the Affordable Care Act, which ensures access to birth control with no co-pay for millions of women in the U.S.
• Fought to permanently repeal the global gag rule, a law that prevents the U.S. from providing financial aid for contraception to international family planning organizations that use their own funding to provide legal abortions.
• Fought to protect and expand the U.S. contribution to the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), which works directly with governments in over 150 countries around the world to improve health care and strengthen health systems.
• Championed the Responsible Education About Life (REAL) Act to address teen pregnancy prevention and expand access to comprehensive sex education.
This is the world we live in. This is the world we cover.
Because of people like you, another world is possible. There are many battles to be won, but we will battle them together—all of us. Common Dreams is not your normal news site. We don't survive on clicks. We don't want advertising dollars. We want the world to be a better place. But we can't do it alone. It doesn't work that way. We need you. If you can help today—because every gift of every size matters—please do. Without Your Support We Simply Don't Exist.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is many things to many people. We are a trusted health care provider, an informed educator, a passionate advocate, and a global partner helping similar organizations around the world. Planned Parenthood delivers vital health care services, sex education, and sexual health information to millions of women, men, and young people.