Sign-Up for Newsletter!
Most Popular This Week
- Members of Congress Declare "Immunity" from Insider Trading Probe
- Afraid to Stoke Populist Ire, Obama Abandons 'Inequality' Rhetoric
- NSA 'Bombshell': Agency Spied on Prominent American Citizens
- Unpatriotic US Corporations Becoming Hot Political Issue That Unites Right and Left
- Kneeling in Fenway Park to the Gods of War
Today's Top News
Out of Control Rig Off Louisiana Coast Spewing Natural Gas
An out of control natural gas well off the Louisiana coast continues to release gas on Friday.
The Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE) issued an alert Thursday that the rig operator, Louisiana-based EnVen, had lost control of the well, allowing the flow of natural gas.
Personnel were evacuated, and there were no injuries, the BSEE stated. There was no sheen reported as of Thursday; however, as ThinkProgress reports, pollution from the well may not be visible because an out of control gas well releases methane, a potent greenhouse gas.
The rig operates in relatively shallow waters.
Efforts to stop the release of natural gas are ongoing.