For Immediate Release
Sens. Sanders, Casey, Warren Join Advocates to Deliver 250,000 Petitions Opposing Social Security Administration Cuts
WASHINGTON - This Thursday, January 18th at 11am EST in 608 Dirksen Senate Office Building, Senators Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Bob Casey (D-PA) and Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) will join advocates and seniors for a press conference opposing Republican plans to cut $492 million from the Social Security Administration's budget in the upcoming government funding bill. Advocates and seniors will then deliver 250,000 petition signatures to Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY.) The event will be livestreamed here.
The petition signatures were collected by CREDO Action, Social Security Works, the Economic Policy Institute, the American Federation of Government Employees, the Alliance for Retired Americans, and the National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare.
- Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Ranking Member, Senate Budget Committee
- Senator Bob Casey (D-PA), Ranking Member, Senate Aging Committee
- Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)
- Julian Blair, Grassroots leader from MD and veteran receiving Social Security benefits
- Dana Duggins, Executive Vice-President of the SSA Council, American Federation of Government Employees
- Robert Roach Jr., President, Alliance for Retired Americans
- Susan Prokop, Senior Associate Advocacy Director, Paralyzed Veterans of America
- Max Richtman, President/CEO, National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare
Moderated by Nancy Altman, President, Social Security Works
This is the world we live in. This is the world we cover.
Because of people like you, another world is possible. There are many battles to be won, but we will battle them together—all of us. Common Dreams is not your normal news site. We don't survive on clicks. We don't want advertising dollars. We want the world to be a better place. But we can't do it alone. It doesn't work that way. We need you. If you can help today—because every gift of every size matters—please do. Without Your Support We Simply Won't Exist.
The mission of Social Security Works is to: Protect and improve the economic security of disadvantaged and at-risk populations; Safeguard the economic security of those dependent, now or in the future, on Social Security; and Maintain Social Security as a vehicle of social justice.