For Immediate Release
Sens. Sanders, Casey, Warren Join Advocates to Deliver 250,000 Petitions Opposing Social Security Administration Cuts
WASHINGTON - This Thursday, January 18th at 11am EST in 608 Dirksen Senate Office Building, Senators Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Bob Casey (D-PA) and Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) will join advocates and seniors for a press conference opposing Republican plans to cut $492 million from the Social Security Administration's budget in the upcoming government funding bill. Advocates and seniors will then deliver 250,000 petition signatures to Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY.) The event will be livestreamed here.
The petition signatures were collected by CREDO Action, Social Security Works, the Economic Policy Institute, the American Federation of Government Employees, the Alliance for Retired Americans, and the National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare.
- Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Ranking Member, Senate Budget Committee
- Senator Bob Casey (D-PA), Ranking Member, Senate Aging Committee
- Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)
- Julian Blair, Grassroots leader from MD and veteran receiving Social Security benefits
- Dana Duggins, Executive Vice-President of the SSA Council, American Federation of Government Employees
- Robert Roach Jr., President, Alliance for Retired Americans
- Susan Prokop, Senior Associate Advocacy Director, Paralyzed Veterans of America
- Max Richtman, President/CEO, National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare
Moderated by Nancy Altman, President, Social Security Works
THE LAST FIREWALL AGAINST THE LIES
Independent media has become the last firewall against government and corporate lies. Yet, with frightening regularity, independent media sources are losing funding, closing down or being blacked out by Google and Facebook. Never before has independent media been more endangered. If you believe in Common Dreams, if you believe in people-powered independent media, please support our critical Winter campaign now and help us fight—with truths—against the lies that would smother our democracy. Please help keep Common Dreams alive and growing.
The mission of Social Security Works is to: Protect and improve the economic security of disadvantaged and at-risk populations; Safeguard the economic security of those dependent, now or in the future, on Social Security; and Maintain Social Security as a vehicle of social justice.