

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.

E. Jean Carroll claims that Donald Trump sexually assaulted her in a dressing room at a Manhattan department store in the mid-1990s.
While former special counsel Robert Mueller testified at two U.S. House hearings Wednesday about his probe of alleged 2016 election meddling and potential obstruction of justice by President Donald Trump, one of the two dozen women who have accused Trump of sexual misconduct said she wished such accusations garnered even a fraction of the attention from lawmakers that Mueller has captured.
Last month, in an excerpt from her new book, advice columnist and journalist E. Jean Carroll wrote that in a department store dressing room in the 1990s, Trump sexually assaulted her. On Wednesday afternoon, Carroll tweeted: "Mueller! I admire the effort, the brains, the hard work, and the $40 million spent on this investigation! I just wish to God that the women accusing the President of sexual travesties, got 1/20th of that congressional focus!"
Following Carroll's public accusations, women's rights advocates such as the advocacy group UltraViolet declared, "It's past time for us to listen to survivors and hold Trump accountable." The president, for his part, claimed Carroll is "totally lying" and added that she is "not my type." He has denied other similar allegations.
Carroll is not the first to note how little attention Trump's growing list of accusers has received compared with other controversies involving the president--and demand that Congress take action. In response to Carroll's excerpt, Jud Lounsbury wrote for The Progessive last month:
It would be fitting if this--more than any of the felonies laid out in the Mueller report or the New York Times's revelations of his tax fraud--is what finally brings Trump down. Not only has Trump admitted his criminal sexual assault behavior profile on tape, there are scores of women beyond E. Jean Carroll with similar stories.
In fact, if the current media landscape is unable to deal with a calculating scandal-surfing scoundrel such as Trump, then Congress needs to act. It should immediately begin to hold hearings into the ample evidence of the president's sexual misconduct.
According to a list compiled by Business Insider last month, Carroll was the 24th woman to accuse Trump of some kind of sexual misconduct--including harassment, groping, and rape--since the 1970s.
Many of the alleged victims came forward publicly after the October 2016 release of the now infamous "Access Hollywood" tape from 2005, in which Trump said: "You know, I'm automatically attracted to beautiful--I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. Just kiss. I don't even wait. And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything... Grab 'em by the pussy. You can do anything."
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
While former special counsel Robert Mueller testified at two U.S. House hearings Wednesday about his probe of alleged 2016 election meddling and potential obstruction of justice by President Donald Trump, one of the two dozen women who have accused Trump of sexual misconduct said she wished such accusations garnered even a fraction of the attention from lawmakers that Mueller has captured.
Last month, in an excerpt from her new book, advice columnist and journalist E. Jean Carroll wrote that in a department store dressing room in the 1990s, Trump sexually assaulted her. On Wednesday afternoon, Carroll tweeted: "Mueller! I admire the effort, the brains, the hard work, and the $40 million spent on this investigation! I just wish to God that the women accusing the President of sexual travesties, got 1/20th of that congressional focus!"
Following Carroll's public accusations, women's rights advocates such as the advocacy group UltraViolet declared, "It's past time for us to listen to survivors and hold Trump accountable." The president, for his part, claimed Carroll is "totally lying" and added that she is "not my type." He has denied other similar allegations.
Carroll is not the first to note how little attention Trump's growing list of accusers has received compared with other controversies involving the president--and demand that Congress take action. In response to Carroll's excerpt, Jud Lounsbury wrote for The Progessive last month:
It would be fitting if this--more than any of the felonies laid out in the Mueller report or the New York Times's revelations of his tax fraud--is what finally brings Trump down. Not only has Trump admitted his criminal sexual assault behavior profile on tape, there are scores of women beyond E. Jean Carroll with similar stories.
In fact, if the current media landscape is unable to deal with a calculating scandal-surfing scoundrel such as Trump, then Congress needs to act. It should immediately begin to hold hearings into the ample evidence of the president's sexual misconduct.
According to a list compiled by Business Insider last month, Carroll was the 24th woman to accuse Trump of some kind of sexual misconduct--including harassment, groping, and rape--since the 1970s.
Many of the alleged victims came forward publicly after the October 2016 release of the now infamous "Access Hollywood" tape from 2005, in which Trump said: "You know, I'm automatically attracted to beautiful--I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. Just kiss. I don't even wait. And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything... Grab 'em by the pussy. You can do anything."
While former special counsel Robert Mueller testified at two U.S. House hearings Wednesday about his probe of alleged 2016 election meddling and potential obstruction of justice by President Donald Trump, one of the two dozen women who have accused Trump of sexual misconduct said she wished such accusations garnered even a fraction of the attention from lawmakers that Mueller has captured.
Last month, in an excerpt from her new book, advice columnist and journalist E. Jean Carroll wrote that in a department store dressing room in the 1990s, Trump sexually assaulted her. On Wednesday afternoon, Carroll tweeted: "Mueller! I admire the effort, the brains, the hard work, and the $40 million spent on this investigation! I just wish to God that the women accusing the President of sexual travesties, got 1/20th of that congressional focus!"
Following Carroll's public accusations, women's rights advocates such as the advocacy group UltraViolet declared, "It's past time for us to listen to survivors and hold Trump accountable." The president, for his part, claimed Carroll is "totally lying" and added that she is "not my type." He has denied other similar allegations.
Carroll is not the first to note how little attention Trump's growing list of accusers has received compared with other controversies involving the president--and demand that Congress take action. In response to Carroll's excerpt, Jud Lounsbury wrote for The Progessive last month:
It would be fitting if this--more than any of the felonies laid out in the Mueller report or the New York Times's revelations of his tax fraud--is what finally brings Trump down. Not only has Trump admitted his criminal sexual assault behavior profile on tape, there are scores of women beyond E. Jean Carroll with similar stories.
In fact, if the current media landscape is unable to deal with a calculating scandal-surfing scoundrel such as Trump, then Congress needs to act. It should immediately begin to hold hearings into the ample evidence of the president's sexual misconduct.
According to a list compiled by Business Insider last month, Carroll was the 24th woman to accuse Trump of some kind of sexual misconduct--including harassment, groping, and rape--since the 1970s.
Many of the alleged victims came forward publicly after the October 2016 release of the now infamous "Access Hollywood" tape from 2005, in which Trump said: "You know, I'm automatically attracted to beautiful--I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. Just kiss. I don't even wait. And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything... Grab 'em by the pussy. You can do anything."