For Immediate Release
Brady Campaign Releases: Gunslinger - Rick Perry's Reckless Record on Guns
WASHINGTON - The Brady Campaign today released a report, Gunslinger: Rick Perry’s Reckless Record on Guns, to provide the American public greater insight into the views of the Texas governor who recently declared his candidacy for president of the United States.
“Not only is Rick Perry an extremist on guns, but he seems to be proud of it,” said Brady Campaign Acting President Dennis Henigan. “Perry has been marinating in radical pro-gun ideology for so long he seems to have lost the capacity for common sense on this life-and-death issue.”
The report outlines some of Perry’s most extreme views on guns and includes direct quotes from his book Fed Up!, which devotes an entire section to guns. The report is divided into two parts, Perry’s Rhetoric and his Record. Chronicled are 10 of the most extreme examples of Gov. Perry’s rhetoric on guns and five examples of dangerous legislation that Perry supported and signed into law as Texas governor, highlighting his close relationship with the gun lobby and the National Rifle Association.
The report concludes that Rick Perry seems to prefer to walk on the reckless side. This now is a problem for the state of Texas. Tomorrow, it may be a problem for our nation.
Most notable among many of Perry’s disturbing views and actions are:
- When asked if he carries a concealed weapon while he campaigns, Perry refused to answer outright. Instead, he thought it was a joking matter, replying, “That’s why it’s called concealed.”
- His belief that it’s commendable, and seemingly necessary, for Americans to carry guns with hollow point bullets and laser sights in the course of routine activities, such as jogging. “Texans, on the other hand, elect folks like me. You know the type, the kind of guy who goes jogging in the morning, packing a Ruger .380 with laser sights and loaded with hollow-point bullets…..” Perry explained in his book, Fed Up!
- His support for the carrying of loaded guns in secondary schools, all the way down to the kindergarten level, as well as on college campuses.
- His belief that Congress lacks the constitutional authority to enact gun laws, a view that would invalidate the Brady Law, which has been successful in denying gun purchases nearly 2 million times to dangerous felons, fugitives, mentally ill, and domestic violence abusers through the Brady background check system.
- His support for the carrying of loaded guns in cars without a license. According to a Dallas police officer, the new law has “destroyed the concealed gun law. We’re letting drug dealers with Glocks under the seat go and say have a nice day.”
- His opposition to even modest measures to help law enforcement crack down gun on smuggling from the U.S. to Mexico. He derided the new Obama Administration gun reporting rules designed to crack down on illegal gun trafficking as “misguided” and “constitutionally questionable.”
“With Mr. Perry seeking to be commander in chief of a nation that leads the developed world in gun deaths and injuries, it is shocking that the governor would be so careless, reckless, and cavalier about the dangers and risks of guns to our families and communities. Let the voting public beware,” added Henigan.
This is the world we live in. This is the world we cover.
Because of people like you, another world is possible. There are many battles to be won, but we will battle them together—all of us. Common Dreams is not your normal news site. We don't survive on clicks. We don't want advertising dollars. We want the world to be a better place. But we can't do it alone. It doesn't work that way. We need you. If you can help today—because every gift of every size matters—please do.
The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence and its legislative and grassroots affiliate, the Brady Campaign and its dedicated network of Million Mom March Chapters, is the nation's largest, non-partisan, grassroots organization leading the fight to prevent gun violence.
We are devoted to creating an America free from gun violence, where all Americans are safe at home, at school, at work, and in our communities.