Planned Parenthood is under attack like never before. After weeks of secret negotiations behind closed doors, Senator Mitch McConnell and his exclusively-male health care working group just released a disastrous piece of legislation that would “defund” Planned Parenthood—putting the 2.4 million people who rely on Planned Parenthood for essential health services at risk.
The Senate’s Trumpcare bill closely mirrors the House’s mean-spirited version, which passed in May. McConnell wants to force the bill through the Senate—with no hearings and barely any time for Americans to read it, let alone understand it.
"If this is the Senate’s idea of a bill with heart, then the women of America should have fear struck in theirs." Take Action: Call now and tell your senators to Stop. This. Bill. Let's keep their phones ringing off the hook.
What’s in the Trumpcare bill?
It’s no wonder Republicans wrote their health care bill in secret—here’s what this catastrophic legislation does:
- “Defunds” Planned Parenthood
- Takes away health insurance from millions
- Could cause 13 million women to lose maternity care coverage
- Guts the Medicaid program
- Reduces access to no-copay birth control
- Imposes a nationwide ban on private insurance coverage of abortion
How does Trumpcare impact people’s health?
- Blocks Americans’ access to preventive care at Planned Parenthood—a devastating impact for the 2.4 million people who rely on these health centers for essential health services.
- Results in reduced access to care for patients who live in areas where Planned Parenthood is the only health care option.
- Will most affect people of color, those with low incomes, and folks in rural areas
We must fight Trumpcare like hell
Now is the time for every person who cares about women’s health to speak out and join this fight. According to Cecile Richards, president of Planned Parenthood:
If this is the Senate’s idea of a bill with heart, then the women of America should have fear struck in theirs.
Slashing Medicaid and blocking millions of women from getting preventive care at Planned Parenthood is beyond heartless. One in five women in this country rely on Planned Parenthood for care. They will not stay silent as politicians vote to take away their care and their rights.
It’s clear that the American people strongly oppose blocking women from going to Planned Parenthood for preventive care. We must be louder than ever so that politicians finally start listening to us.