Staff Writer / Content Producer
Description: Common Dreams, a U.S.-based progressive news and opinion website with global audience covering the key issues of our time, is now seeking a full-time staff writer/news producer to join our energetic and highly-productive newsroom. Position includes being involved in all aspects of production of daily content which includes: news selection; cultivating contacts and sources; pitching, researching, writing, and editing stories; and working closely with editorial team. Ideal candidate is not only highly skilled as a news writer and journalist, but comes with a passion for progressive values and sophisticated understanding of issues across a wide spectrum.
An opportunity to perform important, wide-ranging work during a pivotal moment in history.
This is a full-time position in our fast-paced newsroom located in Portland, Maine. This position is open until filled. Telecommuting is not possible.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Meticulously following breaking national and international news
- Scanning domestic and international sources for key trends and developments
- Generating and pitching story ideas for daily editorial meetings
- Researching, reporting, writing and producing multiple news articles and summaries per day
- Ability to make independent editorial decisions about article selection and positioning
- Assist in making sure content and site as a whole is maintained to organizational standards
- Writing engaging and crisp news content for educated and demanding readership
- Fostering newsroom culture that allows for collective success
- Sharing various tasks (including email/social media) to ensure daily distribution of produced content
- Saving the world
- 4+ years of professional journalism experience
- Impeccable writing, fact-checking, and editing skills
- Proven knowledge of U.S. political landscape as well as global issues
- Commitment to social justice, the common good, and overall mission of Common Dreams
- Ability to execute under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Proficient and active on relevant social media platforms
- Ability to manage time and various projects efficiently
The Ideal candidate:
- Has excellent news instincts and judgement
- Is self-motivated with a strong work ethic and ability to work comfortably and effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Is news junkie with nose and spirit of media critic
- Is well-versed in basic HTML, social media, and CMS (Drupal, Wordpress) platforms
- Can think creatively to solve problems and create content opportunities
- Is able to take direction and critique
- Cherishes concision
- May have written or produced news for radio, newspaper, or digital outlet
- Is tech literate and internet savvy
- Has broad base of knowledge/interest on various subject matters
- Is willing and able to tackle subject areas that might be new, complex or challenging
- Has covered social justice movements but understands mainstream/corporate media terrain
- Can work flexible hours when necessary and occasional weekends
- Works great with a team but can also operate alone and without direction
- Is serious and passionate about the issues, but also knows how to breathe
- Has a strong sense of humor at just the right moment
Please send cover letter, resume/CV, 2-3 appropriate writing samples (pdf or links), and references to the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Salary is commensurate with experience and is competitive with non-profit public interest pay scales. Common Dreams provides a generous benefits package that includes health care, paid vacation, sick days, and parental/family leave.
Common Dreams is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual or gender orientation, religion, physical ability, or previous status.
About Common Dreams
Common Dreams (www.commondreams.org) has been providing breaking news & views for the progressive community since 1997. We are independent, non-profit, advertising-free and 100% reader supported. Our mission: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good.