Published on
by
Common Dreams

Guantánamo Inmate Dies, Ninth to Perish at Prison Camp

Former hunger striker had never been charged with a crime

by
Common Dreams staff

Guantanamo (Photo: Reuters)

A Guantanamo inmate and former hunger striker has been declared dead, the US Military said Monday. The detainee was discovered unconscious in his cell and was later declared dead at the US base hospital. The military has not yet revealed the detainee's identity, nationality, or the cause of his death. He was the ninth to die while in detention at the infamous high security prison camp.

"After extensive lifesaving measures had been performed, the detainee was pronounced dead by a physician," the US Southern Command said in a statement.

The detainee and former hunger striker had resumed eating on June 1, and was back to 95% of his ideal body weight at the time of his death.

In the days leading up to his death, the prisoner had been placed in 'Camp 5,' a wing of the camp where prisoners are placed for disciplinary measures, said navy captain Robert Durand, a spokesman for the prison.

An investigation into the death will be conducted by the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, and a medical examiner has been brought on to determine the exact cause of the death.

Durand said the man had never been charged and had not been designated for prosecution.

This is the world we live in. This is the world we cover.

Because of people like you, another world is possible. There are many battles to be won, but we will battle them together—all of us. Common Dreams is not your normal news site. We don't survive on clicks. We don't want advertising dollars. We want the world to be a better place. But we can't do it alone. It doesn't work that way. We need you. If you can help today—because every gift of every size matters—please do. Without Your Support We Simply Don't Exist.

Share This Article

More in: