Apr 11, 2018
After mobilizing for months in anticipation of a serious obstruction of justice by President Donald Trump, amid Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Trump's 2016 campaign, more than 300,000 Americans from all 50 states are prepared to loudly protest should the president fire Mueller or Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.
The president is reportedly considering firing Rosenstein as a warning to Mueller following an FBI raid of the office and residence of Michael Cohen, Trump's personal attorney, on Monday. With Rosenstein's sign-off, Mueller advised federal prosecutors to seize emails and other documents, reportedly related to Cohen's alleged payments to women with whom the president had sexual relationships.
Trump responded to the raid by claiming it showed "attorney-client privilege is dead!" on Twitter, and told reporters that it amounted to "an attack on our country."
Although both Rosenstein and Mueller are Republicans, Trump has insisted for months that the Justice Department's investigation into his campaign's alleged contacts with Russian officials during the presidential campaign is part of a left-wing attack on his administration.
Legal experts believe Trump would need to direct Rosenstein to fire Mueller, and the deputy attorney general has reportedly indicated that he would resign if Trump did so. According to officials who spoke to the Huffington Post, Rosenstein is "the most probable target, if the president acts" in response to the Cohen raid.
"I'd like to make something crystal clear to the president: Mr. President, any attempt to remove Rod Rosenstein will create the exact same constitutional crisis as if you fired special counsel Bob Mueller," Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) said on Tuesday.
MoveOn.org has been mobilizing for months to stage nationwide protests in the event of Mueller's dismissal, resulting in more than 800 planned demonstrations that Americans are prepared to attend.
"If Trump fires special counsel Robert Mueller, it will create a constitutional crisis. The same goes for other ways he could attempt to end or compromise the investigation," reads the call to action on the organization's website, where a map shows every city where Americans can join protests that would begin directly after Trump fires one or more of the Justice Department officials. "Our response in the hours following a potential power grab will dictate what happens next--whether Congress will stand up to Trump or allow him to move our democracy toward authoritarianism."
The protests are being sponsored by a number of organizations, including MoveOn.org, Public Citizen, Stand Up America, Indivisible, The Arena, Common Cause, #MarchForTruth, Pantsuit Nation, People for the American Way, Every Voice, Common Defense, Together We Will, Working Families Party, Demos, Free Speech for People, Democracy 21, NextGen America, Women's March, and more.
This list is provided by MoveOn.org and you can see the most updated list here.
- AK: Anchorage, Cordova, Fairbanks, Homer, Juneau, Palmer, Sitka
- AL: Birmingham, Florence, Huntsville, Mobile, Tuscaloosa
- AR: Arkadelphia, Bentonville and Fayetteville, Fort Smith, Little Rock, Texarkana
- AZ: Ajo, Cottonwood, Flagstaff, Mesa, Payson, Phoenix, Prescott, Sedona, Show Low, Tucson, Winslow, Yuma
- CA: Alameda, Arcata, Auburn, Bakersfield, Beaumont, Berkeley, Bishop, Burbank, Calistoga, Cambria, Carlsbad, Castro Valley, Chico, Claremont, Colusa, Compton, El Cerrito, Escondido, Fort Bragg, Fresno, Grass Valley, Hanford, Healdsburg, Hesperia, Idyllwild, Irvine, La Quinta, Laguna Beach, Lakeport, Lancaster, Livermore, Long Beach, Los Altos, Los Angeles, Monterey, Napa, Oakland, Ojai, Pacifica, Palm Springs, Palo Alto, Palos Verdes, Pasadena, Petaluma, Pittsburg, Placerville, Portola Valley, Quincy, Ramona, Rancho Cucamonga, Redding, Redlands, Ripon, Riverside, Roseville, Rowland Heights, Sacramento, San Diego, San Dimas, San Francisco, San Jose, San Leandro, San Luis Obispo, San Mateo, San Rafael, San Ramon, Santa Ana, Santa Barbara, Santa Clara, Santa Clarita, Santa Cruz, Santa Monica, Santa Rosa, Sherman Oaks, Sierra Madre, Sonoma, Sonora, Stockton, Temecula, Torrance, Truckee, Ukiah, Vallejo, Venice, Ventura, Walnut Creek, West Hollywood, Westlake Village, Yorba Linda, Yucca Valley
- CO: Alamosa, Aspen, Boulder, Colorado Springs, Cortez, Denver, Durango, Edwards, Fort Collins, Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction, Gunnison, Lakewood, Longmont, Loveland, Pueblo, Salida, Steamboat Springs
- CT: Beacon Falls, Danbury, East Haddam, Greenwich, Hartford, Middletown, New Haven, New London, Norwalk, Stamford, Willimantic
- DC: Washington, Washington, DC
- DE: Dover, Newark, Wilmington
- FL: Dade City, Daytona Beach, Doral, Dunedin, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Fort Walton Beach, Gainesville, Jacksonville, Key Largo, Key West, Kissimmee, Leesburg, Marathon, Melbourne, Miami, NORTH MIAMI, Naples, Ocala, Orlando, Palm Coast, Palm Harbor, Panama City, Pembroke Pines, Pensacola, Port Richey, Port Saint Lucie, Punta Gorda, Saint Petersburg, Sarasota, Sebring, St. Augustine, Stuart, Tallahassee, Tampa, Tavares, West Palm Beach, Winter Haven, Winter Park
- GA: Athens, Atlanta, Columbus, Greensboro, Macon, Savannah
- HI: Hilo, Honolulu, Kahului, Kailua-Kona, Kaunakakai, Lihue
- IA: Ames, Cedar Falls, Cedar Rapids, Davenport, Decorah, Des Moines, Dubuque, Indianola, Iowa City, Red Oak, Sioux City
- ID: Boise, Idaho Falls, Ketchum, Idaho, Pocatello, Sandpoint
- IL: Arlington Heights, Aurora, Barrington, Bloomington, Carbondale, Champaign, Charleston, Chicago, Crystal Lake, DeKalb, Deer Park, Dixon, Effingham, Elgin, Elmhurst, Evanston, Frankfort, Galesburg, Glenview, Highland Park, Joliet, Kankakee, Libertyville, Macomb, Maryville, Naperville, O Fallon, Ottawa, Peoria, Quincy, Rock Island, Rockford, Springfield, St Charles, West Chicago, Woodstock
- IN: Bloomington, Columbus, Evansville, Fort Wayne, Goshen, Hammond, Indianapolis, Kokomo, Lafayette, Muncie, South Bend, Terre Haute, Valparaiso
- KS: Lawrence, Manhattan, Topeka, Wichita
- KY: Bowling Green, Covington, Danville, Elizabethtown, Frankfort, Georgetown, Hopkinsville, Lexington, Louisville, Morehead, Owensboro, Paducah
- LA: Alexandria, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Lake Charles, Metairie, New Orleans, Ruston, Shreveport
- MA: Amherst, Andover, Belchertown, Boston, Bridgewater, Concord, Fall River, Falmouth, Framingham, Gloucester, Greenfield, Haverhill, Hyannis, Ipswich, Lowell, New Bedford, Newburyport, Northampton, Orleans, Pittsfield, Plymouth, Reading, Rockport, Salem, Springfield, Stoughton/Canton/Sharon intersection, Worcester
- MD: Annapolis, Baltimore, Bel Air, Catonsville, Cumberland, Frederick, Rockville, Salisbury, Silver Spring
- ME: Augusta, Bangor, Bar Harbor, Belfast, Biddeford, Brunswick, Eastport, Houlton, KITTERY, Lewiston, Machias, Newcastle, Portland, Prospect Harbor, Rockland, South Paris
- MI: Adrian, Ann Arbor, Battle Creek, Brighton, Detroit, East Lansing, Ferndale, Flint, Grand Rapids, Holland, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Ludington, Manistee, Marquette, Petoskey, Royal Oak, Saginaw, Saint Joseph, Saline, Saugatuck, Sault Sainte Marie, Traverse City, Troy, Westland, Ypsilanti
- MN: Bemidji, Brainerd, Burnsville, Duluth, Eden Prairie, Glenwood, Grand Marais, International Falls, Mankato, Minneapolis, Morris, Northfield, Rochester, Saint Cloud, Saint Joseph, Saint Paul, Saint Peter, Virginia, Wadena, Willmar, Winona
- MO: Columbia, Jefferson City, Kansas City, Saint Joseph, Saint Louis, Springfield
- MS: Gulfport, Hattiesburg, Jackson, Starkville, Tupelo, University
- MT: Billings, Bozeman, Butte, Havre, Helena, Kalispell, Livingston, Missoula, Polson
- NC: Asheboro, Asheville, Black Mountain, Boone, Brevard, Chapel Hill, Charlotte, Concord, Durham, Fayetteville, Greensboro, Greenville, Hickory, Morganton, New Bern, Pittsboro, Raleigh, Southern Pines, Sylva, Waynesville, Wilmington
- ND: Bismarck, Fargo, Grand Forks
- NE: Alliance, Chadron, Grand Island, Hastings, Holdrege, Kearney, Lincoln, McCook, Norfolk, North Platte, O'Neill, Omaha, Peru, Scottsbluff, Wayne
- NH: Concord, Hanover, Keene, Littleton, Manchester, Peterborough, Portsmouth, Wilton
- NJ: Cherry Hill, Fair Lawn, Flemington, Freehold, Glen Rock, Marlton, Mays Landing, Montclair, Morristown, New Brunswick, Newark, Newton, Ocean City, Red Bank, South Orange, Toms River, Trenton, Westfield, Westwood, Woodbury
- NM: Alamogordo, Albuquerque, Las Cruces, Los Alamos, Portales, Roswell, Santa Fe, Taos, Truth or Consequences
- NV: Carson City, Elko, Incline Village, Las Vegas, Minden, Reno
- NY: Albany, Auburn, Batavia, Beacon, Binghamton, Bronx, Buffalo, Canandaigua, Canton, Cobleskill, Corning, Cortland, Fredonia, Geneseo, Geneva, Glens Falls, Huntington Village, Ithaca, Jamestown, Kinderhook, Kingston, Lyons, Massapequa Park, Middletown, Mineola, Nanuet, New Hartford, New York, Newark, Newburgh, Oneonta, Patchogue, Peekskill, Plattsburgh, Port Jefferson Station, Riverhead, Rochester, Saratoga Springs, Syracuse, Warwick, Watertown, White Plains
- OH: Akron, Athens, Bryan, Canton, Chillicothe, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, Lima, Mansfield, Norwalk, Oberlin, Toledo, Warren, Westerville, Wilmington, Wooster, Youngstown
- OK: Norman, Oklahoma City, Tulsa
- OR: Albany, Ashland, Astoria, Beaverton, Bend, Brookings, Coquille, Corvallis, Enterprise, Eugene, Florence, Fort Rock, Grants Pass, Hillsboro, Hood River, Klamath Falls, La Grande, Lake Oswego, Madras, McMinnville, Medford, Portland, Roseburg, Saint Helens, Salem, Sandy, Sherwood, The Dalles, Yachats
- PA: Abington, Allentown, Beaver, Bethlehem, Bloomsburg, Carlisle, Chesterbrook, Doylestown, Erie, Gettysburg, Hanover, Harrisburg, Hershey, Hollidaysburg, Indiana, Kennett Square, Lancaster, Langhorne, Lewisburg, Meadville, Media, Milford, Mt Lebanon, Norristown, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Reading, Scranton, Selinsgrove, Sharon, Stroudsburg, West Chester, Wilkes-Barre, Williamsport, York, state College
- PR: Mayaguez, San Juan
- RI: Newport, Providence, Westerly
- SC: Beaufort, Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, Mount Pleasant, Myrtle Beach, North Augusta, Rock Hill, Spartanburg
- SD: Rapid City, Sioux Falls, Vermillion
- TN: Athens, Bristol, Chattanooga, Clarksville, Cookeville, Crossville, Greeneville, Jackson, Johnson City, Knoxville, Loudon, Memphis, Murfreesboro, Nashville, Sewanee
- TX: Amarillo, Athens, Austin, Bastrop, Beaumont, Brenham, Cedar Hill, College Station, Corpus Christi, Dallas, Denton, Edinburg, El Paso, Euless, Fort Worth, Frisco, Harlingen, Houston, Kerrville, Llano, Lubbock, Lufkin, Nacogdoches, Rockwall, San Antonio, San Marcos, Sherman, Stephenville, Tyler, Weatherford
- UT: Provo, Salt Lake City, St George
- VA: Blacksburg, Charlottesville, Glen Allen, Harrisonburg, Lynchburg, Manassas, Norfolk, Richmond, Roanoke, Stafford, Staunton, Sterling, Tappahannock, Warrenton, Williamsburg, Winchester, Woodstock
- VI: Christiansted
- VT: Burlington, Castleton, Manchester Center, Montpelier, Rutland, Springfield, Underhill, Woodstock
- WA: Bainbridge Island, Bellevue, Bellingham, Bremerton, Eastsound, Edmonds, Ellensburg, Everett, Friday Harbor, Issaquah, Kingston, Langley, Lynnwood, Mount Vernon, North Bend, Oak Harbor, Ocean Shores, Okanogan, Olympia, Port Angeles, Port Townsend, Pullman, Puyallup, Richland, Sammamish, Seattle, Sequim, Shaw Island, Shoreline, Spokane, Tacoma, Vancouver, Vashon, Walla Walla, Wenatchee, Winthrop, Yakima, forks
- WI: Appleton, Beloit, Eau Claire, Elkhorn, Fond du Lac, Hudson, Kenosha, La Crosse, Madison, Mauston, Milwaukee, Racine, Rhinelander, Spooner, Superior, Wausau
- WV: Beckley, Charleston, Huntington, Lewisburg, Martinsburg, Morgantown, Parkersburg, Wheeling
- WY: Casper, Cheyenne, Cody, Jackson, Lander, Laramie, Pinedale, Sheridan
Our work is licensed under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0). Feel free to republish and share widely.
We've had enough. The 1% own and operate the corporate media. They are doing everything they can to defend the status quo, squash dissent and protect the wealthy and the powerful. The Common Dreams media model is different. We cover the news that matters to the 99%. Our mission? To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. How? Nonprofit. Independent. Reader-supported. Free to read. Free to republish. Free to share. With no advertising. No paywalls. No selling of your data. Thousands of small donations fund our newsroom and allow us to continue publishing. Can you chip in? We can't do it without you. Thank you.