
Activists hold a demonstration in lower Manhattan against the arrest by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement of Palestinian activist Mahmoud Khalil, a graduate student at Columbia University, on March 20, 2025 in New York City.
'This Is a Witch Hunt': Trump Admin Demands Colleges Provide Name and Nationality of Student Protesters
"There is no doubt that it can be used improperly," said one attorney.
Critics are raising grave civil liberties concerns after the Washington Post reported Tuesday that the Trump administration is seeking to collect the names and nationalities of "students who might have harassed Jewish students or faculty" as part of a U.S. Department of Education probe into alleged antisemitism on multiple college campuses.
In January, U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order with the purported aim of rooting out antisemitism at higher education institutions, and has vowed to target foreign-born students who have engaged in demonstrations against Israel's genocidal assault on Gaza, but which the president describes as "pro-jihadist" protests.
In January, U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order with the purported aim of rooting out antisemitism at higher education institutions, and has vowed to target foreign-born students who have engaged in "pro-jihadist" protests.
His administration has already moved to deport multiple students involved in pro-Palestine organizing, including former Columbia University graduate student and green-card holder Mahmoud Khalil. A South Korean-born junior at Columbia University sued the Trump and other high-level Trump administration officials after immigration agents tried to arrest and deport her, according to a complaint filed on Monday.
According toThe Post, attorneys with the Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights were instructed to collect students' names and nationalities in addition to information that is routinely gathered during a civil rights investigation, citing documents and three attorneys with direct knowledge of the situation who were quoted anonymously.
"My first thought was, 'This is a witch hunt,'" one attorney told the paper.
The schools under probe are Columbia University; Northwestern University; Portland State University; The University of California, Berkeley; and The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, according to a statement from the Department of Education released on February 3.
Last week, Columbia agreed to a number of demands from the Trump administration as part of negotiations over $400 million in federal grants and contracts that the Trump administration had pulled due to the school's alleged "inaction in the face of persistent harassment of Jewish students."
When investigating whether a school erred when handling complaints of discrimination and harassment, the Office for Civil Rights isn't responsible for disciplining students who may have been behind harassment, so it does not usually collect student names or nationalities, per the Post.
Attorneys who spoke to the outlet said they "immediately wondered whether the list was meant as a tip sheet that the administration might use to target or deport foreign students who participated in protests."
"The request asked for a list of all students that the university notified of potential violations of the code of conduct or who were referred for suspension, suspended, expelled and/or referred to law enforcement for harassment of, or violence toward, students and faculty 'on the basis of their Jewish ancestry,'" according to the paper.
The request also asked for the students' "national origin/ethnicity/shared ancestry," per the Post. According to the outlet, it is not clear whether the five universities haver provided the students' names or information on their ethnicities.
"There is no doubt that it can be used improperly," a separate attorney told the Post.
In addition to the five schools named above, the Department of Education in early March sent letters to 60 universities "warning them of potential enforcement actions" if they do not take adequate steps to protect Jewish students.
Critics have argued that efforts to weaponize accusations of antisemitism against pro-Palestinian voices is part of a familiar playbook that aims to distract from serious war crimes and human rights abuses being carried out by the Israeli government against the Palestinian people.
Lawyer and historian Fernando Oliver characterized the effort by Trump's Education Department as a continuation of the president's "campaign to end free speech," adding: "This is what dictators do."
An Urgent Message From Our Co-Founder
Dear Common Dreams reader, The U.S. is on a fast track to authoritarianism like nothing I've ever seen. Meanwhile, corporate news outlets are utterly capitulating to Trump, twisting their coverage to avoid drawing his ire while lining up to stuff cash in his pockets. That's why I believe that Common Dreams is doing the best and most consequential reporting that we've ever done. Our small but mighty team is a progressive reporting powerhouse, covering the news every day that the corporate media never will. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. And to ignite change for the common good. Now here's the key piece that I want all our readers to understand: None of this would be possible without your financial support. That's not just some fundraising cliche. It's the absolute and literal truth. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. The final deadline for our crucial Summer Campaign fundraising drive is just days away, and we’re falling short of our must-hit goal. Will you donate now to help power the nonprofit, independent reporting of Common Dreams? Thank you for being a vital member of our community. Together, we can keep independent journalism alive when it’s needed most. - Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Critics are raising grave civil liberties concerns after the Washington Post reported Tuesday that the Trump administration is seeking to collect the names and nationalities of "students who might have harassed Jewish students or faculty" as part of a U.S. Department of Education probe into alleged antisemitism on multiple college campuses.
In January, U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order with the purported aim of rooting out antisemitism at higher education institutions, and has vowed to target foreign-born students who have engaged in demonstrations against Israel's genocidal assault on Gaza, but which the president describes as "pro-jihadist" protests.
In January, U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order with the purported aim of rooting out antisemitism at higher education institutions, and has vowed to target foreign-born students who have engaged in "pro-jihadist" protests.
His administration has already moved to deport multiple students involved in pro-Palestine organizing, including former Columbia University graduate student and green-card holder Mahmoud Khalil. A South Korean-born junior at Columbia University sued the Trump and other high-level Trump administration officials after immigration agents tried to arrest and deport her, according to a complaint filed on Monday.
According toThe Post, attorneys with the Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights were instructed to collect students' names and nationalities in addition to information that is routinely gathered during a civil rights investigation, citing documents and three attorneys with direct knowledge of the situation who were quoted anonymously.
"My first thought was, 'This is a witch hunt,'" one attorney told the paper.
The schools under probe are Columbia University; Northwestern University; Portland State University; The University of California, Berkeley; and The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, according to a statement from the Department of Education released on February 3.
Last week, Columbia agreed to a number of demands from the Trump administration as part of negotiations over $400 million in federal grants and contracts that the Trump administration had pulled due to the school's alleged "inaction in the face of persistent harassment of Jewish students."
When investigating whether a school erred when handling complaints of discrimination and harassment, the Office for Civil Rights isn't responsible for disciplining students who may have been behind harassment, so it does not usually collect student names or nationalities, per the Post.
Attorneys who spoke to the outlet said they "immediately wondered whether the list was meant as a tip sheet that the administration might use to target or deport foreign students who participated in protests."
"The request asked for a list of all students that the university notified of potential violations of the code of conduct or who were referred for suspension, suspended, expelled and/or referred to law enforcement for harassment of, or violence toward, students and faculty 'on the basis of their Jewish ancestry,'" according to the paper.
The request also asked for the students' "national origin/ethnicity/shared ancestry," per the Post. According to the outlet, it is not clear whether the five universities haver provided the students' names or information on their ethnicities.
"There is no doubt that it can be used improperly," a separate attorney told the Post.
In addition to the five schools named above, the Department of Education in early March sent letters to 60 universities "warning them of potential enforcement actions" if they do not take adequate steps to protect Jewish students.
Critics have argued that efforts to weaponize accusations of antisemitism against pro-Palestinian voices is part of a familiar playbook that aims to distract from serious war crimes and human rights abuses being carried out by the Israeli government against the Palestinian people.
Lawyer and historian Fernando Oliver characterized the effort by Trump's Education Department as a continuation of the president's "campaign to end free speech," adding: "This is what dictators do."
Critics are raising grave civil liberties concerns after the Washington Post reported Tuesday that the Trump administration is seeking to collect the names and nationalities of "students who might have harassed Jewish students or faculty" as part of a U.S. Department of Education probe into alleged antisemitism on multiple college campuses.
In January, U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order with the purported aim of rooting out antisemitism at higher education institutions, and has vowed to target foreign-born students who have engaged in demonstrations against Israel's genocidal assault on Gaza, but which the president describes as "pro-jihadist" protests.
In January, U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order with the purported aim of rooting out antisemitism at higher education institutions, and has vowed to target foreign-born students who have engaged in "pro-jihadist" protests.
His administration has already moved to deport multiple students involved in pro-Palestine organizing, including former Columbia University graduate student and green-card holder Mahmoud Khalil. A South Korean-born junior at Columbia University sued the Trump and other high-level Trump administration officials after immigration agents tried to arrest and deport her, according to a complaint filed on Monday.
According toThe Post, attorneys with the Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights were instructed to collect students' names and nationalities in addition to information that is routinely gathered during a civil rights investigation, citing documents and three attorneys with direct knowledge of the situation who were quoted anonymously.
"My first thought was, 'This is a witch hunt,'" one attorney told the paper.
The schools under probe are Columbia University; Northwestern University; Portland State University; The University of California, Berkeley; and The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, according to a statement from the Department of Education released on February 3.
Last week, Columbia agreed to a number of demands from the Trump administration as part of negotiations over $400 million in federal grants and contracts that the Trump administration had pulled due to the school's alleged "inaction in the face of persistent harassment of Jewish students."
When investigating whether a school erred when handling complaints of discrimination and harassment, the Office for Civil Rights isn't responsible for disciplining students who may have been behind harassment, so it does not usually collect student names or nationalities, per the Post.
Attorneys who spoke to the outlet said they "immediately wondered whether the list was meant as a tip sheet that the administration might use to target or deport foreign students who participated in protests."
"The request asked for a list of all students that the university notified of potential violations of the code of conduct or who were referred for suspension, suspended, expelled and/or referred to law enforcement for harassment of, or violence toward, students and faculty 'on the basis of their Jewish ancestry,'" according to the paper.
The request also asked for the students' "national origin/ethnicity/shared ancestry," per the Post. According to the outlet, it is not clear whether the five universities haver provided the students' names or information on their ethnicities.
"There is no doubt that it can be used improperly," a separate attorney told the Post.
In addition to the five schools named above, the Department of Education in early March sent letters to 60 universities "warning them of potential enforcement actions" if they do not take adequate steps to protect Jewish students.
Critics have argued that efforts to weaponize accusations of antisemitism against pro-Palestinian voices is part of a familiar playbook that aims to distract from serious war crimes and human rights abuses being carried out by the Israeli government against the Palestinian people.
Lawyer and historian Fernando Oliver characterized the effort by Trump's Education Department as a continuation of the president's "campaign to end free speech," adding: "This is what dictators do."