
U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos speaks at the Eisenhower Executive Office Building adjacent to the White House in Washington, D.C. on August 16, 2018. (Photo: Saul Loeb/AFP via Getty Images)
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.
U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos speaks at the Eisenhower Executive Office Building adjacent to the White House in Washington, D.C. on August 16, 2018. (Photo: Saul Loeb/AFP via Getty Images)
A home health aide who earns just under $13 per hour is the lead plaintiff in a class-action lawsuit filed Thursday against Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, whose department has continued garnishing the wages of hundreds of thousands of student loan borrowers in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.
The CARES Act, which was signed into law in late March, prohibits the Education Department from seizing the wages and tax refunds of student loan borrowers who have defaulted on their loans.
But Elizabeth Barber of Rochester, New York, says the Trump administration has nonetheless continued to take 12% of her paychecks since the legislation passed--garnishing $70 from her check as recently as last week--adding to the financial strain which forced her to default on $10,000 in federal loans in December. Barber's hours have also been reduced by 10 to 15 hours per week since the coronavirus pandemic began.
"I am so worried about how I will get through this," Barber said in a statement. "I have no money in the bank. I need every dollar I earn at work to survive each day, but my hours have been cut because of the virus. I don't understand why the government keeps taking my money away after it passed a law that says they will stop."
The lawsuit was filed late Thursday, with legal advocacy group Student Defense and the National Consumer Law Center (NCLC) representing Barber and about 285,000 other Americans whose wages have been garnished in the past six weeks.
\u201cBREAKING: Education Secretary @BetsyDeVos has been sued for garnishing the wages of #studentloan borrowers during the #COVID19 crisis against emergency relief passed in the #CARESAct.\n\nhttps://t.co/nJUucbQGnN\u201d— Student Debt Crisis Center (SDCC) (@Student Debt Crisis Center (SDCC)) 1588348510
The CARES Act gave relief to borrowers from wage garnishment until Sept. 30. But across the country, employers including Barber's have not yet been formally advised by the Trump administration to stop withholding as much as 15% of employees' paychecks and sending the garnished wages to the government.
The Education Department claims the borrowers will be refunded the garnished wages if they were collected after March 13, but has offered no information about when they will see those refunds.
The lawsuit "captures a new low" in DeVos's leadership, tweeted Student Defense on Friday.
\u201cToday's lawsuit against @BetsyDeVosED captures a new low in her leadership: for over a month since passage of #CARESAct DeVos has disregarded provisions in the law designed to protect student loan borrowers from wage garnishment. \n\nWe sued to #ProtectBorrowers & #DefendStudents.\u201d— Student Defense (@Student Defense) 1588346853
"Right now, low-wage workers hit hardest by the economic impact of the pandemic need their paychecks to keep food on the table and a roof over their heads," said Persis Yu, director of the NCLC's Student Loan Borrower Assistance Project. "By continuing to use its harsh collection tools during this public health and economic crisis, the Department of Education is placing the health, safety, and well-being of vulnerable student loan borrowers in peril."
In a letter to DeVos sent on April 16, Democratic lawmakers including Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Rep. Ayanna Pressley (D-Mass.) demanded information about the wage garnishment which has persisted despite being illegal under the CARES Act and called the secretary's failure to stop the practice "unconscionable."
"The Trump administration is taking money from borrowers who are living on the edge of poverty, in the middle of a pandemic, and in violation of the law," said Seth Frotman, executive director of the Student Borrower Protection Center, which is supporting the lawsuit. "This lawsuit shines light on how she has been operating a student debt collection machine that is accountable to no one--and it must be stopped."
Dear Common Dreams reader, The U.S. is on a fast track to authoritarianism like nothing I've ever seen. Meanwhile, corporate news outlets are utterly capitulating to Trump, twisting their coverage to avoid drawing his ire while lining up to stuff cash in his pockets. That's why I believe that Common Dreams is doing the best and most consequential reporting that we've ever done. Our small but mighty team is a progressive reporting powerhouse, covering the news every day that the corporate media never will. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. And to ignite change for the common good. Now here's the key piece that I want all our readers to understand: None of this would be possible without your financial support. That's not just some fundraising cliche. It's the absolute and literal truth. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. Our Summer Campaign is now underway, and there’s never been a more urgent time for Common Dreams to be as vigilant as possible. Will you donate now to help power the nonprofit, independent reporting of Common Dreams? Thank you for being a vital member of our community. Together, we can keep independent journalism alive when it’s needed most. - Craig Brown, Co-founder |
A home health aide who earns just under $13 per hour is the lead plaintiff in a class-action lawsuit filed Thursday against Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, whose department has continued garnishing the wages of hundreds of thousands of student loan borrowers in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.
The CARES Act, which was signed into law in late March, prohibits the Education Department from seizing the wages and tax refunds of student loan borrowers who have defaulted on their loans.
But Elizabeth Barber of Rochester, New York, says the Trump administration has nonetheless continued to take 12% of her paychecks since the legislation passed--garnishing $70 from her check as recently as last week--adding to the financial strain which forced her to default on $10,000 in federal loans in December. Barber's hours have also been reduced by 10 to 15 hours per week since the coronavirus pandemic began.
"I am so worried about how I will get through this," Barber said in a statement. "I have no money in the bank. I need every dollar I earn at work to survive each day, but my hours have been cut because of the virus. I don't understand why the government keeps taking my money away after it passed a law that says they will stop."
The lawsuit was filed late Thursday, with legal advocacy group Student Defense and the National Consumer Law Center (NCLC) representing Barber and about 285,000 other Americans whose wages have been garnished in the past six weeks.
\u201cBREAKING: Education Secretary @BetsyDeVos has been sued for garnishing the wages of #studentloan borrowers during the #COVID19 crisis against emergency relief passed in the #CARESAct.\n\nhttps://t.co/nJUucbQGnN\u201d— Student Debt Crisis Center (SDCC) (@Student Debt Crisis Center (SDCC)) 1588348510
The CARES Act gave relief to borrowers from wage garnishment until Sept. 30. But across the country, employers including Barber's have not yet been formally advised by the Trump administration to stop withholding as much as 15% of employees' paychecks and sending the garnished wages to the government.
The Education Department claims the borrowers will be refunded the garnished wages if they were collected after March 13, but has offered no information about when they will see those refunds.
The lawsuit "captures a new low" in DeVos's leadership, tweeted Student Defense on Friday.
\u201cToday's lawsuit against @BetsyDeVosED captures a new low in her leadership: for over a month since passage of #CARESAct DeVos has disregarded provisions in the law designed to protect student loan borrowers from wage garnishment. \n\nWe sued to #ProtectBorrowers & #DefendStudents.\u201d— Student Defense (@Student Defense) 1588346853
"Right now, low-wage workers hit hardest by the economic impact of the pandemic need their paychecks to keep food on the table and a roof over their heads," said Persis Yu, director of the NCLC's Student Loan Borrower Assistance Project. "By continuing to use its harsh collection tools during this public health and economic crisis, the Department of Education is placing the health, safety, and well-being of vulnerable student loan borrowers in peril."
In a letter to DeVos sent on April 16, Democratic lawmakers including Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Rep. Ayanna Pressley (D-Mass.) demanded information about the wage garnishment which has persisted despite being illegal under the CARES Act and called the secretary's failure to stop the practice "unconscionable."
"The Trump administration is taking money from borrowers who are living on the edge of poverty, in the middle of a pandemic, and in violation of the law," said Seth Frotman, executive director of the Student Borrower Protection Center, which is supporting the lawsuit. "This lawsuit shines light on how she has been operating a student debt collection machine that is accountable to no one--and it must be stopped."
A home health aide who earns just under $13 per hour is the lead plaintiff in a class-action lawsuit filed Thursday against Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, whose department has continued garnishing the wages of hundreds of thousands of student loan borrowers in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.
The CARES Act, which was signed into law in late March, prohibits the Education Department from seizing the wages and tax refunds of student loan borrowers who have defaulted on their loans.
But Elizabeth Barber of Rochester, New York, says the Trump administration has nonetheless continued to take 12% of her paychecks since the legislation passed--garnishing $70 from her check as recently as last week--adding to the financial strain which forced her to default on $10,000 in federal loans in December. Barber's hours have also been reduced by 10 to 15 hours per week since the coronavirus pandemic began.
"I am so worried about how I will get through this," Barber said in a statement. "I have no money in the bank. I need every dollar I earn at work to survive each day, but my hours have been cut because of the virus. I don't understand why the government keeps taking my money away after it passed a law that says they will stop."
The lawsuit was filed late Thursday, with legal advocacy group Student Defense and the National Consumer Law Center (NCLC) representing Barber and about 285,000 other Americans whose wages have been garnished in the past six weeks.
\u201cBREAKING: Education Secretary @BetsyDeVos has been sued for garnishing the wages of #studentloan borrowers during the #COVID19 crisis against emergency relief passed in the #CARESAct.\n\nhttps://t.co/nJUucbQGnN\u201d— Student Debt Crisis Center (SDCC) (@Student Debt Crisis Center (SDCC)) 1588348510
The CARES Act gave relief to borrowers from wage garnishment until Sept. 30. But across the country, employers including Barber's have not yet been formally advised by the Trump administration to stop withholding as much as 15% of employees' paychecks and sending the garnished wages to the government.
The Education Department claims the borrowers will be refunded the garnished wages if they were collected after March 13, but has offered no information about when they will see those refunds.
The lawsuit "captures a new low" in DeVos's leadership, tweeted Student Defense on Friday.
\u201cToday's lawsuit against @BetsyDeVosED captures a new low in her leadership: for over a month since passage of #CARESAct DeVos has disregarded provisions in the law designed to protect student loan borrowers from wage garnishment. \n\nWe sued to #ProtectBorrowers & #DefendStudents.\u201d— Student Defense (@Student Defense) 1588346853
"Right now, low-wage workers hit hardest by the economic impact of the pandemic need their paychecks to keep food on the table and a roof over their heads," said Persis Yu, director of the NCLC's Student Loan Borrower Assistance Project. "By continuing to use its harsh collection tools during this public health and economic crisis, the Department of Education is placing the health, safety, and well-being of vulnerable student loan borrowers in peril."
In a letter to DeVos sent on April 16, Democratic lawmakers including Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Rep. Ayanna Pressley (D-Mass.) demanded information about the wage garnishment which has persisted despite being illegal under the CARES Act and called the secretary's failure to stop the practice "unconscionable."
"The Trump administration is taking money from borrowers who are living on the edge of poverty, in the middle of a pandemic, and in violation of the law," said Seth Frotman, executive director of the Student Borrower Protection Center, which is supporting the lawsuit. "This lawsuit shines light on how she has been operating a student debt collection machine that is accountable to no one--and it must be stopped."