

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos called on University of North Carolina and Duke University to amend the curriculum of their joint Middle Eastern studies program, claiming it does not include enough positive material about religions other than Islam. (Photo: Alex Wong/Getty Images)
Sunday marked a deadline for the University of North Carolina and Duke University to submit information to the Trump administration about the two schools' Consortium for Middle East Studies, after the Department of Education accused the joint program of biases against Christianity and Judaism.
The DOE called on the schools to provide a list of events it is supporting during the school year and a full list of courses it's offering, claiming in a letter sent late last month that in the program, "there is a considerable emphasis placed on the understanding the positive aspects of Islam, while there is an absolute absence of any similar focus on the positive aspects of Christianity, Judaism, or any other religion or belief system in the Middle East."
The program should emphasize "foreign language instruction and area studies advancing the security and economic stability of the United States," wrote the department.
Critics denounced the demand by education secretary Betsy DeVos as part of President Donald Trump's Islamophobic agenda.
The consortium teaches Middle Eastern languages, history, and geopolitics, and well as hosting community events focused on the majority-Muslim region's culture.
DeVos opened an investigation into the program in June after it took part in a conference titled "Conflict Over Gaza: People, Politics and Possibilities," to determine if Duke and UNC had "misused" any of the $235,000 it received in federal grants under the Title VI program, to promote "radical anti-Israel bias."
"They really want to send the message that if you want to criticize Israel, then the federal government is going to look very closely at your entire program and micromanage it to death," Zoha Khalili, staff lawyer at Palestinian rights group Palestine Legal, told the New York Times.
DeVos's targeting of the consortium "sends a message to Middle Eastern studies programs that their continued existence depends on their willingness to toe the government line on Israel," she said.
UNC acknowledged it had received the DOE's letter and told the Times it is "committed to working with the department to provide more information about its programs."
If the DOE decides that the program is insufficiently focused on Christianity and Judaism, it stands to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars from the Title VI program.
The DOE's request comes as many on the right, including the Trump administration, have condemned so-called attacks on free speech on college campuses.
"This is what a real threat to free speech on a college campus looks like," David Perry wrote at CNN. "It looks like the federal government telling a university how and what to teach its students."
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Sunday marked a deadline for the University of North Carolina and Duke University to submit information to the Trump administration about the two schools' Consortium for Middle East Studies, after the Department of Education accused the joint program of biases against Christianity and Judaism.
The DOE called on the schools to provide a list of events it is supporting during the school year and a full list of courses it's offering, claiming in a letter sent late last month that in the program, "there is a considerable emphasis placed on the understanding the positive aspects of Islam, while there is an absolute absence of any similar focus on the positive aspects of Christianity, Judaism, or any other religion or belief system in the Middle East."
The program should emphasize "foreign language instruction and area studies advancing the security and economic stability of the United States," wrote the department.
Critics denounced the demand by education secretary Betsy DeVos as part of President Donald Trump's Islamophobic agenda.
The consortium teaches Middle Eastern languages, history, and geopolitics, and well as hosting community events focused on the majority-Muslim region's culture.
DeVos opened an investigation into the program in June after it took part in a conference titled "Conflict Over Gaza: People, Politics and Possibilities," to determine if Duke and UNC had "misused" any of the $235,000 it received in federal grants under the Title VI program, to promote "radical anti-Israel bias."
"They really want to send the message that if you want to criticize Israel, then the federal government is going to look very closely at your entire program and micromanage it to death," Zoha Khalili, staff lawyer at Palestinian rights group Palestine Legal, told the New York Times.
DeVos's targeting of the consortium "sends a message to Middle Eastern studies programs that their continued existence depends on their willingness to toe the government line on Israel," she said.
UNC acknowledged it had received the DOE's letter and told the Times it is "committed to working with the department to provide more information about its programs."
If the DOE decides that the program is insufficiently focused on Christianity and Judaism, it stands to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars from the Title VI program.
The DOE's request comes as many on the right, including the Trump administration, have condemned so-called attacks on free speech on college campuses.
"This is what a real threat to free speech on a college campus looks like," David Perry wrote at CNN. "It looks like the federal government telling a university how and what to teach its students."
Sunday marked a deadline for the University of North Carolina and Duke University to submit information to the Trump administration about the two schools' Consortium for Middle East Studies, after the Department of Education accused the joint program of biases against Christianity and Judaism.
The DOE called on the schools to provide a list of events it is supporting during the school year and a full list of courses it's offering, claiming in a letter sent late last month that in the program, "there is a considerable emphasis placed on the understanding the positive aspects of Islam, while there is an absolute absence of any similar focus on the positive aspects of Christianity, Judaism, or any other religion or belief system in the Middle East."
The program should emphasize "foreign language instruction and area studies advancing the security and economic stability of the United States," wrote the department.
Critics denounced the demand by education secretary Betsy DeVos as part of President Donald Trump's Islamophobic agenda.
The consortium teaches Middle Eastern languages, history, and geopolitics, and well as hosting community events focused on the majority-Muslim region's culture.
DeVos opened an investigation into the program in June after it took part in a conference titled "Conflict Over Gaza: People, Politics and Possibilities," to determine if Duke and UNC had "misused" any of the $235,000 it received in federal grants under the Title VI program, to promote "radical anti-Israel bias."
"They really want to send the message that if you want to criticize Israel, then the federal government is going to look very closely at your entire program and micromanage it to death," Zoha Khalili, staff lawyer at Palestinian rights group Palestine Legal, told the New York Times.
DeVos's targeting of the consortium "sends a message to Middle Eastern studies programs that their continued existence depends on their willingness to toe the government line on Israel," she said.
UNC acknowledged it had received the DOE's letter and told the Times it is "committed to working with the department to provide more information about its programs."
If the DOE decides that the program is insufficiently focused on Christianity and Judaism, it stands to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars from the Title VI program.
The DOE's request comes as many on the right, including the Trump administration, have condemned so-called attacks on free speech on college campuses.
"This is what a real threat to free speech on a college campus looks like," David Perry wrote at CNN. "It looks like the federal government telling a university how and what to teach its students."