For Immediate Release
John Rumpler, Senior Attorney, 617 997-8296, firstname.lastname@example.org
Congress Should Reject Anti-Environmental Farm Bill
WASHINGTON - Poisoning our water and land to grow our food makes no sense. Congress should start over with a Farm Bill that promotes healthy food and clean water.” - John Rumpler, Environment America
This afternoon, a Farm Bill (H.R. 2) loaded with anti-environmental provisions is back for a vote in the U.S. House of Representatives. The House previously rejected H.R. 2 by a vote of 198 to 213. John Rumpler, Environment America’s senior attorney and clean water program director, issued the following statement:
SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT
Never Miss a Beat.
Get our best delivered to your inbox.
"Today, Congress again considers a dirty Farm Bill that would undermine protections for clean water, national forests, and our health. More specifically, H.R. 2 would:
- Repeal the Clean Water Rule, which restored federal protections for half of our nation’s streams and millions of acres of wetlands.
- Allow destructive mining, drilling, and roadbuilding in our national forests in Alaska, including the Tongass, which is the largest intact temperate rainforest in the world.
- Exempt pesticide pollution from the Clean Water Act, even though pesticides have contributed to more than 1,800 instances of water pollution across the country.
- Eliminate the Conservation Stewardship Program, the nation's largest conservation program by acreage.
- Pre-empt state and local laws aimed at health and environmental impacts of factory farms.
- Severely undermine vital bedrock environmental laws including the Endangered Species Act.
- Eliminate public input and environmental review for a wide range of activities on public lands.
"Poisoning our water and land to grow our food makes no sense. Congress should reject this dirty Farm Bill and start over with legislation that promotes both healthy food and clean water. So far, the Senate Farm Bill offers the nation a far better path than H.R. 2."
This is the world we live in. This is the world we cover.
Because of people like you, another world is possible. There are many battles to be won, but we will battle them together—all of us. Common Dreams is not your normal news outlet. We don't survive on clicks. We don't want advertising dollars. We want the world to be a better place. But we can't do it alone. It doesn't work that way. We need you. If you can help today—because every gift of every size matters—please do. Without Your Support We Won't Exist.
Please select a donation method:
Environment America is a federation of state-based, citizen-funded environmental advocacy organizations. Our professional staff in 27 states and Washington, D.C., combines independent research, practical ideas and tough-minded advocacy to overcome the opposition of powerful special interests and win real results for the environment. Environment America draws on 30 years of success in tackling environmental problems.