For Immediate Release
New Report: Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s Notorious Record
New Arizona Law Will Take Arpaio’s Poor Record of Crime Fighting and Civil Rights Statewide
WASHINGTON - Today America's Voice Education Fund released a new report detailing the long, disturbing and ineffective record of Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County in Arizona. Self-promoted as "America's Toughest Sheriff" and widely feared by Latino immigrants for his harsh tactics, the report suggests that Sheriff Joe is better at garnering media attention than he is at fighting crime. This is especially relevant because Governor Jan Brewer of Arizona recently signed into law SB 1070, which essentially mandates that Arpaio's controversial and ineffective tactics be implemented statewide.
The report reveals some 21 examples of Arpaio's disturbing record, among them:
- Violent crime rates have risen under Arpaio's watch while they have fallen throughout the rest of Arizona.
- Arpaio's department has not served over 40,000 felony warrants.
- Arpaio has been suspected of misspending $50 million in taxpayer funds and refused to turn over his records for an investigation.
- Over 2,700 lawsuits have been filed against Arpaio.
- The Maricopa County Sheriff's Department is or has been under investigation by the FBI and the U.S. Departments of Justice and Labor.
- Evidence exists that Arpaio forced an undocumented mother to give birth while handcuffed to a bed.
SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT
Get our best delivered to your inbox.
In contrast to Arpaio's tactics, which have created deep distrust between the Latino community and law enforcement, the Police Executive Research Forum and scores of law enforcement leaders across the nation have spoken out about the need for strong relationships between police and immigrant communities, and the responsibility of the federal government to pass comprehensive immigration reform that turns undocumented workers into legal citizens.
This is the world we live in. This is the world we cover.
Because of people like you, another world is possible. There are many battles to be won, but we will battle them together—all of us. Common Dreams is not your normal news site. We don't survive on clicks. We don't want advertising dollars. We want the world to be a better place. But we can't do it alone. It doesn't work that way. We need you. If you can help today—because every gift of every size matters—please do. Without Your Support We Won't Exist.
Please select a donation method:
America's Voice -- Harnessing the power of American voices and American values to win common sense immigration reform. The mission of America’s Voice is to realize the promise of workable and humane comprehensive immigration reform. Our goal is to build the public support and create the political momentum for reforms that will transform a dysfunctional immigration system that does not work into a regulatory system that does.