
A Yemeni boy walks past a mural reading "Why did you kill my family?" in the capital of Sanaa. (Photo: Mohammed Huwais/AFP/Getty Images)
ACLU Forces US Government to Release Secret Drone Playbook
The long-awaited guidelines provide "a timely reminder of the breadth of the powers that will soon be in the hands of another president," said ACLU deputy legal director
Three years and thousands of deaths later, the administration of U.S. President Barack Obama late Friday finally made public its guidelines for conducting lethal drone strikes.
The release of the Presidential Policy Guidance (PPG), also known as "the Playbook," came in response to a lawsuit filed last year by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) seeking the framework--which Obama said at the time was created in the interest of greater transparency and oversight over the expansive targeted killing program.
"For the same human progress that gives us the technology to strike half a world away also demands the discipline to constrain that power--or risk abusing it," the president declared in May 2013 during a landmark foreign policy speech at National Defense University.
Now, three years after that address, the redacted PPG finally provides the rights group with "crucial information about policies that have resulted in the deaths of thousands of people, including hundreds of non-combatants, and about the bureaucracy that the Obama administration has constructed to oversee and implement those policies," said ACLU deputy legal director Jameel Jaffer in a statement on Saturday.
The long-awaited release will serve to "inform an ongoing debate about the lawfulness and wisdom of the government's counterterrorism policies." Further, coming amid the 2016 presidential election, the documents are "a timely reminder of the breadth of the powers that will soon be in the hands of another president," Jaffer added.
In addition to the redacted PPG, the administration also provided the ACLU with four additional Defense Department documents related to the drone program and the process for determining targets of lethal or capture operations.
The ACLU said that while the documents provide a "window" into the government's process of targeting individuals, questions still remain about "where the PPG applies, whether the president has waived its requirements in particular instances, and how the PPG's relatively stringent standards can be reconciled with the accounts of eye witnesses, journalists, and human rights researches who have documented large numbers of bystander casualties."
Lethal drones strikes, often with civilian casualties, have been reported in Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq, and Libya.
The playbook comes less than a week after the U.S.-led coalition officially expanded its military campaign against the Islamic State (ISIS), including lethal drone strikes, to Libya. It also comes after what transparency group Airwars estimates was the deadliest month for civilians in Syria as a result of coalition bombings.
Last month, the White House reported that since 2009 U.S. drone strikes have killed between 64 and 116 civilians in areas outside of active hostilities, which was far lower than the 380 to 801 recorded by the UK-based Bureau of Investigative Journalism.
An Urgent Message From Our Co-Founder
Dear Common Dreams reader, The U.S. is on a fast track to authoritarianism like nothing I've ever seen. Meanwhile, corporate news outlets are utterly capitulating to Trump, twisting their coverage to avoid drawing his ire while lining up to stuff cash in his pockets. That's why I believe that Common Dreams is doing the best and most consequential reporting that we've ever done. Our small but mighty team is a progressive reporting powerhouse, covering the news every day that the corporate media never will. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. And to ignite change for the common good. Now here's the key piece that I want all our readers to understand: None of this would be possible without your financial support. That's not just some fundraising cliche. It's the absolute and literal truth. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. The final deadline for our crucial Summer Campaign fundraising drive is just days away, and we’re falling short of our must-hit goal. Will you donate now to help power the nonprofit, independent reporting of Common Dreams? Thank you for being a vital member of our community. Together, we can keep independent journalism alive when it’s needed most. - Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Three years and thousands of deaths later, the administration of U.S. President Barack Obama late Friday finally made public its guidelines for conducting lethal drone strikes.
The release of the Presidential Policy Guidance (PPG), also known as "the Playbook," came in response to a lawsuit filed last year by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) seeking the framework--which Obama said at the time was created in the interest of greater transparency and oversight over the expansive targeted killing program.
"For the same human progress that gives us the technology to strike half a world away also demands the discipline to constrain that power--or risk abusing it," the president declared in May 2013 during a landmark foreign policy speech at National Defense University.
Now, three years after that address, the redacted PPG finally provides the rights group with "crucial information about policies that have resulted in the deaths of thousands of people, including hundreds of non-combatants, and about the bureaucracy that the Obama administration has constructed to oversee and implement those policies," said ACLU deputy legal director Jameel Jaffer in a statement on Saturday.
The long-awaited release will serve to "inform an ongoing debate about the lawfulness and wisdom of the government's counterterrorism policies." Further, coming amid the 2016 presidential election, the documents are "a timely reminder of the breadth of the powers that will soon be in the hands of another president," Jaffer added.
In addition to the redacted PPG, the administration also provided the ACLU with four additional Defense Department documents related to the drone program and the process for determining targets of lethal or capture operations.
The ACLU said that while the documents provide a "window" into the government's process of targeting individuals, questions still remain about "where the PPG applies, whether the president has waived its requirements in particular instances, and how the PPG's relatively stringent standards can be reconciled with the accounts of eye witnesses, journalists, and human rights researches who have documented large numbers of bystander casualties."
Lethal drones strikes, often with civilian casualties, have been reported in Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq, and Libya.
The playbook comes less than a week after the U.S.-led coalition officially expanded its military campaign against the Islamic State (ISIS), including lethal drone strikes, to Libya. It also comes after what transparency group Airwars estimates was the deadliest month for civilians in Syria as a result of coalition bombings.
Last month, the White House reported that since 2009 U.S. drone strikes have killed between 64 and 116 civilians in areas outside of active hostilities, which was far lower than the 380 to 801 recorded by the UK-based Bureau of Investigative Journalism.
Three years and thousands of deaths later, the administration of U.S. President Barack Obama late Friday finally made public its guidelines for conducting lethal drone strikes.
The release of the Presidential Policy Guidance (PPG), also known as "the Playbook," came in response to a lawsuit filed last year by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) seeking the framework--which Obama said at the time was created in the interest of greater transparency and oversight over the expansive targeted killing program.
"For the same human progress that gives us the technology to strike half a world away also demands the discipline to constrain that power--or risk abusing it," the president declared in May 2013 during a landmark foreign policy speech at National Defense University.
Now, three years after that address, the redacted PPG finally provides the rights group with "crucial information about policies that have resulted in the deaths of thousands of people, including hundreds of non-combatants, and about the bureaucracy that the Obama administration has constructed to oversee and implement those policies," said ACLU deputy legal director Jameel Jaffer in a statement on Saturday.
The long-awaited release will serve to "inform an ongoing debate about the lawfulness and wisdom of the government's counterterrorism policies." Further, coming amid the 2016 presidential election, the documents are "a timely reminder of the breadth of the powers that will soon be in the hands of another president," Jaffer added.
In addition to the redacted PPG, the administration also provided the ACLU with four additional Defense Department documents related to the drone program and the process for determining targets of lethal or capture operations.
The ACLU said that while the documents provide a "window" into the government's process of targeting individuals, questions still remain about "where the PPG applies, whether the president has waived its requirements in particular instances, and how the PPG's relatively stringent standards can be reconciled with the accounts of eye witnesses, journalists, and human rights researches who have documented large numbers of bystander casualties."
Lethal drones strikes, often with civilian casualties, have been reported in Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq, and Libya.
The playbook comes less than a week after the U.S.-led coalition officially expanded its military campaign against the Islamic State (ISIS), including lethal drone strikes, to Libya. It also comes after what transparency group Airwars estimates was the deadliest month for civilians in Syria as a result of coalition bombings.
Last month, the White House reported that since 2009 U.S. drone strikes have killed between 64 and 116 civilians in areas outside of active hostilities, which was far lower than the 380 to 801 recorded by the UK-based Bureau of Investigative Journalism.