

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.

CDC Director Robert Redfield looks on while testifying on Capitol Hill on July 2, 2020. (Photo: Graeme Jennings/Pool/AFP via Getty Images)
The Democratic chairman of the House Education and Labor Committee revealed Friday that the Trump administration is blocking Centers for Disease Control and Prevention officials--including agency director Dr. Robert Redfield--from testifying at a congressional hearing next week on school reopenings as the White House continues its efforts to force the resumption of in-person classes in the fall.
"It is alarming that the Trump administration is preventing the CDC from appearing before the committee at a time when its expertise and guidance is so critical to the health and safety of students, parents, and educators," Rep. Bobby Scott (D-Va.) said in a statement. "This lack of transparency does a great disservice to the many communities across the country facing difficult decisions about reopening schools this fall."
"The administration's strategy of prioritizing politics over science has had a devastating impact on our country throughout this pandemic," Scott added. "It should not make that same mistake when it comes to reopening schools."
The White House confirmed its decision to block the testimony of Redfield and other CDC officials, saying the director "has testified on the Hill at least four times over the last three months."
Educators and public health experts have denounced as reckless the Trump administration's push to reopen schools as Covid-19 cases and hospitalizations surge across the United States. The White House, say teachers and parents, has failed to present a sensible plan to resume in-person classes without threatening the health of students and faculty.
"Without a comprehensive plan that includes federal resources to provide for the safety of our students and educators with funding for personal protective equipment, socially distanced instruction, and addressing racial inequity, we could be putting students, their families, and educators in danger," six groups representing millions of U.S. teachers and parents said in a joint statement on July 7.
Instead of working with teachers and experts to decide the best way forward, President Donald Trump and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos have publicly threatened to withhold federal funding from schools that refuse to reopen in the fall. Earlier this month, Trump complained on Twitter that the CDC's school reopening guidelines--which encourage face coverings and social distancing in classrooms--are too "tough" and "expensive."
"It's imperative that we listen to the experts," tweeted Rep. Joe Morelle (D-N.Y.), a member of the House Education and Labor Committee. "It's alarming, but sadly not surprising, that the president is barring them from the room."
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
The Democratic chairman of the House Education and Labor Committee revealed Friday that the Trump administration is blocking Centers for Disease Control and Prevention officials--including agency director Dr. Robert Redfield--from testifying at a congressional hearing next week on school reopenings as the White House continues its efforts to force the resumption of in-person classes in the fall.
"It is alarming that the Trump administration is preventing the CDC from appearing before the committee at a time when its expertise and guidance is so critical to the health and safety of students, parents, and educators," Rep. Bobby Scott (D-Va.) said in a statement. "This lack of transparency does a great disservice to the many communities across the country facing difficult decisions about reopening schools this fall."
"The administration's strategy of prioritizing politics over science has had a devastating impact on our country throughout this pandemic," Scott added. "It should not make that same mistake when it comes to reopening schools."
The White House confirmed its decision to block the testimony of Redfield and other CDC officials, saying the director "has testified on the Hill at least four times over the last three months."
Educators and public health experts have denounced as reckless the Trump administration's push to reopen schools as Covid-19 cases and hospitalizations surge across the United States. The White House, say teachers and parents, has failed to present a sensible plan to resume in-person classes without threatening the health of students and faculty.
"Without a comprehensive plan that includes federal resources to provide for the safety of our students and educators with funding for personal protective equipment, socially distanced instruction, and addressing racial inequity, we could be putting students, their families, and educators in danger," six groups representing millions of U.S. teachers and parents said in a joint statement on July 7.
Instead of working with teachers and experts to decide the best way forward, President Donald Trump and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos have publicly threatened to withhold federal funding from schools that refuse to reopen in the fall. Earlier this month, Trump complained on Twitter that the CDC's school reopening guidelines--which encourage face coverings and social distancing in classrooms--are too "tough" and "expensive."
"It's imperative that we listen to the experts," tweeted Rep. Joe Morelle (D-N.Y.), a member of the House Education and Labor Committee. "It's alarming, but sadly not surprising, that the president is barring them from the room."
The Democratic chairman of the House Education and Labor Committee revealed Friday that the Trump administration is blocking Centers for Disease Control and Prevention officials--including agency director Dr. Robert Redfield--from testifying at a congressional hearing next week on school reopenings as the White House continues its efforts to force the resumption of in-person classes in the fall.
"It is alarming that the Trump administration is preventing the CDC from appearing before the committee at a time when its expertise and guidance is so critical to the health and safety of students, parents, and educators," Rep. Bobby Scott (D-Va.) said in a statement. "This lack of transparency does a great disservice to the many communities across the country facing difficult decisions about reopening schools this fall."
"The administration's strategy of prioritizing politics over science has had a devastating impact on our country throughout this pandemic," Scott added. "It should not make that same mistake when it comes to reopening schools."
The White House confirmed its decision to block the testimony of Redfield and other CDC officials, saying the director "has testified on the Hill at least four times over the last three months."
Educators and public health experts have denounced as reckless the Trump administration's push to reopen schools as Covid-19 cases and hospitalizations surge across the United States. The White House, say teachers and parents, has failed to present a sensible plan to resume in-person classes without threatening the health of students and faculty.
"Without a comprehensive plan that includes federal resources to provide for the safety of our students and educators with funding for personal protective equipment, socially distanced instruction, and addressing racial inequity, we could be putting students, their families, and educators in danger," six groups representing millions of U.S. teachers and parents said in a joint statement on July 7.
Instead of working with teachers and experts to decide the best way forward, President Donald Trump and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos have publicly threatened to withhold federal funding from schools that refuse to reopen in the fall. Earlier this month, Trump complained on Twitter that the CDC's school reopening guidelines--which encourage face coverings and social distancing in classrooms--are too "tough" and "expensive."
"It's imperative that we listen to the experts," tweeted Rep. Joe Morelle (D-N.Y.), a member of the House Education and Labor Committee. "It's alarming, but sadly not surprising, that the president is barring them from the room."