

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo(R) listens as US President Donald Trump speaks about the situation with Iran in the Grand Foyer of the White House in Washington, DC, January 8, 2020. (Photo: Eric Baradat / AFP via Getty Images)
Congressional Democrats emerged from a classified briefing presented by Trump administration officials on Wednesday afternoon and decried the "sophomoric and utterly unconvincing" body of evidence that was put forth to justify last week's assassination of Iranian military commander Qasem Soleimani.
"We did not get information inside that briefing that there was specific, imminent threat that we were halting by conducting that operation... I think it is likely because it doesn't exist." --Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.)Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) reacted to the briefing by saying that rather than showing Soleimani posed an "imminent" threat as President Donald Trump and his top officials have repeatedly claimed, the military operation--based on the evidence presented--appears to be nothing more than a "strike of choice" by the administration.
"I was deeply surprised at the lack of information presented by the administration regarding a specific imminent threat," Murphy told reporters. "We did not get information inside that briefing that there was specific, imminent threat that we were halting by conducting that operation."
Murphy said that not being shown more substantial and convincing evidence was both surprising and saddening, but added, "I think it is likely because it doesn't exist."
Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.), a member of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, told reporters the briefing "was sophomoric and utterly unconvincing."
Connolly said he was "unpersuaded about any evidence about the imminence of a threat that was new or compelling."
Disgust with the presented case did not only come from Democrats. Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah), standing beside an equally unconvinced Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), told reporters after the closed-door session that it was "the worst briefing I've had on a military issue in my nine years" serving in the Senate.
"I find this insulting and demeaning," Lee added, telling reporters that he now plans to vote in favor of a War Powers Resolution put forth by Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.).
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Congressional Democrats emerged from a classified briefing presented by Trump administration officials on Wednesday afternoon and decried the "sophomoric and utterly unconvincing" body of evidence that was put forth to justify last week's assassination of Iranian military commander Qasem Soleimani.
"We did not get information inside that briefing that there was specific, imminent threat that we were halting by conducting that operation... I think it is likely because it doesn't exist." --Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.)Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) reacted to the briefing by saying that rather than showing Soleimani posed an "imminent" threat as President Donald Trump and his top officials have repeatedly claimed, the military operation--based on the evidence presented--appears to be nothing more than a "strike of choice" by the administration.
"I was deeply surprised at the lack of information presented by the administration regarding a specific imminent threat," Murphy told reporters. "We did not get information inside that briefing that there was specific, imminent threat that we were halting by conducting that operation."
Murphy said that not being shown more substantial and convincing evidence was both surprising and saddening, but added, "I think it is likely because it doesn't exist."
Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.), a member of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, told reporters the briefing "was sophomoric and utterly unconvincing."
Connolly said he was "unpersuaded about any evidence about the imminence of a threat that was new or compelling."
Disgust with the presented case did not only come from Democrats. Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah), standing beside an equally unconvinced Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), told reporters after the closed-door session that it was "the worst briefing I've had on a military issue in my nine years" serving in the Senate.
"I find this insulting and demeaning," Lee added, telling reporters that he now plans to vote in favor of a War Powers Resolution put forth by Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.).
Congressional Democrats emerged from a classified briefing presented by Trump administration officials on Wednesday afternoon and decried the "sophomoric and utterly unconvincing" body of evidence that was put forth to justify last week's assassination of Iranian military commander Qasem Soleimani.
"We did not get information inside that briefing that there was specific, imminent threat that we were halting by conducting that operation... I think it is likely because it doesn't exist." --Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.)Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) reacted to the briefing by saying that rather than showing Soleimani posed an "imminent" threat as President Donald Trump and his top officials have repeatedly claimed, the military operation--based on the evidence presented--appears to be nothing more than a "strike of choice" by the administration.
"I was deeply surprised at the lack of information presented by the administration regarding a specific imminent threat," Murphy told reporters. "We did not get information inside that briefing that there was specific, imminent threat that we were halting by conducting that operation."
Murphy said that not being shown more substantial and convincing evidence was both surprising and saddening, but added, "I think it is likely because it doesn't exist."
Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.), a member of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, told reporters the briefing "was sophomoric and utterly unconvincing."
Connolly said he was "unpersuaded about any evidence about the imminence of a threat that was new or compelling."
Disgust with the presented case did not only come from Democrats. Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah), standing beside an equally unconvinced Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), told reporters after the closed-door session that it was "the worst briefing I've had on a military issue in my nine years" serving in the Senate.
"I find this insulting and demeaning," Lee added, telling reporters that he now plans to vote in favor of a War Powers Resolution put forth by Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.).