

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
U.S. marines are in Syria to augment the fight against the Islamic State (ISIS) in the battle for Raqqa, the militant group's de facto capital, having quietly arrived in the country weeks ago, defense officials confirmed to the Washington Post on Wednesday.
About 400 new troops have been deployed overall, in addition to the 500 already on the ground. The plan had been in the works "for some time," according to the Post's Dan Lamothe and Thomas Gibbons-Neff.
The plan also reportedly includes more Special Operations troops and attack helicopters. Lamothe and Gibbons-Neff write:
The force is part of the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit, which left San Diego on Navy ships in October. The Marines on the ground include part of an artillery battery that can fire powerful 155-millimeter shells from M-777 Howitzers, two officials said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the deployment.
Although the deployment is temporary, it may be a signal that the Trump administration will give the Pentagon more flexibility in calling the shots in the fight against ISIS, as military commanders had portrayed themselves as being micromanaged under former President Barack Obama, the Associated Press notes.
The Obama administration's still-existing limits say the military can have no more than 503 U.S. forces in Syria--but temporary personnel do not count towards that cap.
Although the move does not explicitly confirm that the U.S. will significantly change its fight against ISIS, it comes as President Donald Trump considers a new plan to defeat the group, submitted by the Pentagon last month.
Axios reports that U.S. Central Command chief Gen. Joe Votel will likely testify before Congress about it on Thursday.
The U.S. is also reportedly considering sending an additional 1,000 reserve troops to Kuwait, Reuters reported.
Meanwhile, collateral deaths of civilians continue to climb, with the Airwars monitoring group estimating that more than 2,500 people have been killed as a result of the U.S.-led coalition's air campaign in Syria and Iraq.
A U.S. official told reporters Wednesday that "Raqqa will probably not be the final battle against ISIS."
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
U.S. marines are in Syria to augment the fight against the Islamic State (ISIS) in the battle for Raqqa, the militant group's de facto capital, having quietly arrived in the country weeks ago, defense officials confirmed to the Washington Post on Wednesday.
About 400 new troops have been deployed overall, in addition to the 500 already on the ground. The plan had been in the works "for some time," according to the Post's Dan Lamothe and Thomas Gibbons-Neff.
The plan also reportedly includes more Special Operations troops and attack helicopters. Lamothe and Gibbons-Neff write:
The force is part of the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit, which left San Diego on Navy ships in October. The Marines on the ground include part of an artillery battery that can fire powerful 155-millimeter shells from M-777 Howitzers, two officials said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the deployment.
Although the deployment is temporary, it may be a signal that the Trump administration will give the Pentagon more flexibility in calling the shots in the fight against ISIS, as military commanders had portrayed themselves as being micromanaged under former President Barack Obama, the Associated Press notes.
The Obama administration's still-existing limits say the military can have no more than 503 U.S. forces in Syria--but temporary personnel do not count towards that cap.
Although the move does not explicitly confirm that the U.S. will significantly change its fight against ISIS, it comes as President Donald Trump considers a new plan to defeat the group, submitted by the Pentagon last month.
Axios reports that U.S. Central Command chief Gen. Joe Votel will likely testify before Congress about it on Thursday.
The U.S. is also reportedly considering sending an additional 1,000 reserve troops to Kuwait, Reuters reported.
Meanwhile, collateral deaths of civilians continue to climb, with the Airwars monitoring group estimating that more than 2,500 people have been killed as a result of the U.S.-led coalition's air campaign in Syria and Iraq.
A U.S. official told reporters Wednesday that "Raqqa will probably not be the final battle against ISIS."
U.S. marines are in Syria to augment the fight against the Islamic State (ISIS) in the battle for Raqqa, the militant group's de facto capital, having quietly arrived in the country weeks ago, defense officials confirmed to the Washington Post on Wednesday.
About 400 new troops have been deployed overall, in addition to the 500 already on the ground. The plan had been in the works "for some time," according to the Post's Dan Lamothe and Thomas Gibbons-Neff.
The plan also reportedly includes more Special Operations troops and attack helicopters. Lamothe and Gibbons-Neff write:
The force is part of the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit, which left San Diego on Navy ships in October. The Marines on the ground include part of an artillery battery that can fire powerful 155-millimeter shells from M-777 Howitzers, two officials said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the deployment.
Although the deployment is temporary, it may be a signal that the Trump administration will give the Pentagon more flexibility in calling the shots in the fight against ISIS, as military commanders had portrayed themselves as being micromanaged under former President Barack Obama, the Associated Press notes.
The Obama administration's still-existing limits say the military can have no more than 503 U.S. forces in Syria--but temporary personnel do not count towards that cap.
Although the move does not explicitly confirm that the U.S. will significantly change its fight against ISIS, it comes as President Donald Trump considers a new plan to defeat the group, submitted by the Pentagon last month.
Axios reports that U.S. Central Command chief Gen. Joe Votel will likely testify before Congress about it on Thursday.
The U.S. is also reportedly considering sending an additional 1,000 reserve troops to Kuwait, Reuters reported.
Meanwhile, collateral deaths of civilians continue to climb, with the Airwars monitoring group estimating that more than 2,500 people have been killed as a result of the U.S.-led coalition's air campaign in Syria and Iraq.
A U.S. official told reporters Wednesday that "Raqqa will probably not be the final battle against ISIS."