

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
Setting up a likely veto fight and opening a potential Pandora's Box, the U.S. Senate on Tuesday passed a bill that allows victims of 9/11 to sue Saudi Arabia for any role the government may have played in the attacks.
The bipartisan Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act was approved by unanimous consent, despite protest from President Barack Obama, who threatened to veto the bill.
Obama recently argued, "If we open up the possibility that individuals...can routinely start suing other governments, then we are also opening up the United States to being continually sued by individuals in other countries." Some interpreted this as a veiled reference to the United States' controversial anti-terror policy, including its broad use of killer drone strikes.
The bill amends the federal judicial code to narrow the scope to permit American victims of U.S.-based attacks, or their families, to sue foreign governments in U.S. courts for aiding an act of terrorism.
White House press secretary Josh Earnest reiterated Obama's opposition on Tuesday, telling reporters that "it's difficult to imagine the president signing this legislation."
Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), who sponsored the legislation along with Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), was undettered. "I think we easily get the two-thirds override if the president should veto," Schumer said.
Lawmakers in the House of Representatives have introduced their own version of the bill.
Both Democratic presidential candidates Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton also broke with the president in support of the bill. Sanders went so far as to call for the declassification of the controversial "28 pages" of the 9/11 Commission report, which is said to detail Saudi ties to the 2001 terrorist attack.
James Clapper, Obama's director of National Intelligence, has indicated that document will be made public as early as June--which could prove to be problematic for the U.S.'s Gulf ally.
"Look, if the Saudis did not participate in this terrorism, they have nothing to fear about going to court," Schumer said Tuesday. "If they did, they should be held accountable."
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Setting up a likely veto fight and opening a potential Pandora's Box, the U.S. Senate on Tuesday passed a bill that allows victims of 9/11 to sue Saudi Arabia for any role the government may have played in the attacks.
The bipartisan Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act was approved by unanimous consent, despite protest from President Barack Obama, who threatened to veto the bill.
Obama recently argued, "If we open up the possibility that individuals...can routinely start suing other governments, then we are also opening up the United States to being continually sued by individuals in other countries." Some interpreted this as a veiled reference to the United States' controversial anti-terror policy, including its broad use of killer drone strikes.
The bill amends the federal judicial code to narrow the scope to permit American victims of U.S.-based attacks, or their families, to sue foreign governments in U.S. courts for aiding an act of terrorism.
White House press secretary Josh Earnest reiterated Obama's opposition on Tuesday, telling reporters that "it's difficult to imagine the president signing this legislation."
Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), who sponsored the legislation along with Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), was undettered. "I think we easily get the two-thirds override if the president should veto," Schumer said.
Lawmakers in the House of Representatives have introduced their own version of the bill.
Both Democratic presidential candidates Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton also broke with the president in support of the bill. Sanders went so far as to call for the declassification of the controversial "28 pages" of the 9/11 Commission report, which is said to detail Saudi ties to the 2001 terrorist attack.
James Clapper, Obama's director of National Intelligence, has indicated that document will be made public as early as June--which could prove to be problematic for the U.S.'s Gulf ally.
"Look, if the Saudis did not participate in this terrorism, they have nothing to fear about going to court," Schumer said Tuesday. "If they did, they should be held accountable."
Setting up a likely veto fight and opening a potential Pandora's Box, the U.S. Senate on Tuesday passed a bill that allows victims of 9/11 to sue Saudi Arabia for any role the government may have played in the attacks.
The bipartisan Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act was approved by unanimous consent, despite protest from President Barack Obama, who threatened to veto the bill.
Obama recently argued, "If we open up the possibility that individuals...can routinely start suing other governments, then we are also opening up the United States to being continually sued by individuals in other countries." Some interpreted this as a veiled reference to the United States' controversial anti-terror policy, including its broad use of killer drone strikes.
The bill amends the federal judicial code to narrow the scope to permit American victims of U.S.-based attacks, or their families, to sue foreign governments in U.S. courts for aiding an act of terrorism.
White House press secretary Josh Earnest reiterated Obama's opposition on Tuesday, telling reporters that "it's difficult to imagine the president signing this legislation."
Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), who sponsored the legislation along with Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), was undettered. "I think we easily get the two-thirds override if the president should veto," Schumer said.
Lawmakers in the House of Representatives have introduced their own version of the bill.
Both Democratic presidential candidates Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton also broke with the president in support of the bill. Sanders went so far as to call for the declassification of the controversial "28 pages" of the 9/11 Commission report, which is said to detail Saudi ties to the 2001 terrorist attack.
James Clapper, Obama's director of National Intelligence, has indicated that document will be made public as early as June--which could prove to be problematic for the U.S.'s Gulf ally.
"Look, if the Saudis did not participate in this terrorism, they have nothing to fear about going to court," Schumer said Tuesday. "If they did, they should be held accountable."