Rights Groups Demand Congressional Probe Following Release of 'Assassination' Docs
'These eye-opening disclosures make a mockery of U.S. government claims that its lethal force operations are based on reliable intelligence and limited to lawful targets.'
In the immediate wake of Thursday's publication of astonishing leaked documents and in-depth reporting by The Intercept which reveal the inner workings of the U.S. military's covert drone campaign overseas, human rights groups are calling for an official congressional inquiry into the program and the Obama administration's efforts to keep it secret.
"These revelations are further damning evidence that the Obama administration is continuing the Bush-era project of treating the world as a global battlefield while evading public accountability."
--Naureen Shah, Amnesty International USA
"These documents raise serious concerns about whether the USA has systematically violated international law, including by classifying unidentified people as 'combatants' to justify their killings," said Naureen Shah, director of the Security with Human Rights campaign at Amnesty International USA.
The public release of the documents and their contents, she added, "warrants an immediate congressional inquiry into why the Obama administration has kept this vital information secret, including the real identities of all those killed in this global killing program."
What would such a review look like? As ACLU National Security Project director Hina Shamsi and international human rights lawyer Sarah Knuckey wrote in a post for Just Security in May, it would involve "robust" oversight from Congress, as used during the investigation into the CIA torture report published earlier this year, as well as adjudication by federal courts in cases of alleged wrongful killings, and publication of the Obama administration's "legal and policy justifications, factual
"The Obama administration's lethal program desperately needs transparency and accountability because it is undermining the right to life and national security."
--Hina Shamsi, ACLUbases, and the consequences of its decisions to kill in response to Freedom of Information Act transparency requests."
Shamsi and Knuckey wrote:
Before and after the President's 2013 reforms, in speeches and strategic anonymous "leaks," US officials have sought to portray a "surgically precise" "targeted" killing program that is lawful, necessary, and minimizes harm to innocents. [....] But the administration's portrayal of its lethal force program is directly contradicted by on-the-ground investigations by civil society groups and others. (For some of the many detailed reports of civilian casualties, see here, here, here, here, here, and here).
The Intercept on Thursday published a cache of U.S. intelligence documents on the global assassination campaign provided by an anonymous whistleblower who said the program was morally flawed. The files show how the orders to place targets on kill lists and assassinate them come from the highest ranks of the U.S. government, including President Barack Obama, and how the military cleans up its dismal track record of civilian deaths by terming unidentified people killed in drone strikes as 'enemies.'
Some of the information disclosed in the leaks was previously known, but the documents provide never-before-seen details about the chain of command and the program's high rates of civilian casualties, with nearly 90 percent of those killed in drone strikes being not the intended target. The Obama administration has occasionally apologized and made condolence payments to victims' families, as he did when a drone strike killed two Western hostages in Pakistan in April, but the documents reveal how these rare instances of public remorse are the exception rather than the rule.
"These eye-opening disclosures make a mockery of U.S. government claims that its lethal force operations are based on reliable intelligence and limited to lawful targets," Shamsi said on Thursday. "In fact, the government often claims successes that are really tragic losses. The Obama administration's lethal program desperately needs transparency and accountability because it is undermining the right to life and national security."
And as Amnesty's Shah added, "These revelations are further damning evidence that the Obama administration is continuing the Bush-era project of treating the world as a global battlefield while evading public accountability."
Urgent. It's never been this bad.
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission from the outset was simple. To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It’s never been this bad out there. And it’s never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed and doing some of its best and most important work, the threats we face are intensifying. Right now, with just three days to go in our Spring Campaign, we're falling short of our make-or-break goal. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Can you make a gift right now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? There is no backup plan or rainy day fund. There is only you. —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
In the immediate wake of Thursday's publication of astonishing leaked documents and in-depth reporting by The Intercept which reveal the inner workings of the U.S. military's covert drone campaign overseas, human rights groups are calling for an official congressional inquiry into the program and the Obama administration's efforts to keep it secret.
"These revelations are further damning evidence that the Obama administration is continuing the Bush-era project of treating the world as a global battlefield while evading public accountability."
--Naureen Shah, Amnesty International USA
"These documents raise serious concerns about whether the USA has systematically violated international law, including by classifying unidentified people as 'combatants' to justify their killings," said Naureen Shah, director of the Security with Human Rights campaign at Amnesty International USA.
The public release of the documents and their contents, she added, "warrants an immediate congressional inquiry into why the Obama administration has kept this vital information secret, including the real identities of all those killed in this global killing program."
What would such a review look like? As ACLU National Security Project director Hina Shamsi and international human rights lawyer Sarah Knuckey wrote in a post for Just Security in May, it would involve "robust" oversight from Congress, as used during the investigation into the CIA torture report published earlier this year, as well as adjudication by federal courts in cases of alleged wrongful killings, and publication of the Obama administration's "legal and policy justifications, factual
"The Obama administration's lethal program desperately needs transparency and accountability because it is undermining the right to life and national security."
--Hina Shamsi, ACLUbases, and the consequences of its decisions to kill in response to Freedom of Information Act transparency requests."
Shamsi and Knuckey wrote:
Before and after the President's 2013 reforms, in speeches and strategic anonymous "leaks," US officials have sought to portray a "surgically precise" "targeted" killing program that is lawful, necessary, and minimizes harm to innocents. [....] But the administration's portrayal of its lethal force program is directly contradicted by on-the-ground investigations by civil society groups and others. (For some of the many detailed reports of civilian casualties, see here, here, here, here, here, and here).
The Intercept on Thursday published a cache of U.S. intelligence documents on the global assassination campaign provided by an anonymous whistleblower who said the program was morally flawed. The files show how the orders to place targets on kill lists and assassinate them come from the highest ranks of the U.S. government, including President Barack Obama, and how the military cleans up its dismal track record of civilian deaths by terming unidentified people killed in drone strikes as 'enemies.'
Some of the information disclosed in the leaks was previously known, but the documents provide never-before-seen details about the chain of command and the program's high rates of civilian casualties, with nearly 90 percent of those killed in drone strikes being not the intended target. The Obama administration has occasionally apologized and made condolence payments to victims' families, as he did when a drone strike killed two Western hostages in Pakistan in April, but the documents reveal how these rare instances of public remorse are the exception rather than the rule.
"These eye-opening disclosures make a mockery of U.S. government claims that its lethal force operations are based on reliable intelligence and limited to lawful targets," Shamsi said on Thursday. "In fact, the government often claims successes that are really tragic losses. The Obama administration's lethal program desperately needs transparency and accountability because it is undermining the right to life and national security."
And as Amnesty's Shah added, "These revelations are further damning evidence that the Obama administration is continuing the Bush-era project of treating the world as a global battlefield while evading public accountability."
In the immediate wake of Thursday's publication of astonishing leaked documents and in-depth reporting by The Intercept which reveal the inner workings of the U.S. military's covert drone campaign overseas, human rights groups are calling for an official congressional inquiry into the program and the Obama administration's efforts to keep it secret.
"These revelations are further damning evidence that the Obama administration is continuing the Bush-era project of treating the world as a global battlefield while evading public accountability."
--Naureen Shah, Amnesty International USA
"These documents raise serious concerns about whether the USA has systematically violated international law, including by classifying unidentified people as 'combatants' to justify their killings," said Naureen Shah, director of the Security with Human Rights campaign at Amnesty International USA.
The public release of the documents and their contents, she added, "warrants an immediate congressional inquiry into why the Obama administration has kept this vital information secret, including the real identities of all those killed in this global killing program."
What would such a review look like? As ACLU National Security Project director Hina Shamsi and international human rights lawyer Sarah Knuckey wrote in a post for Just Security in May, it would involve "robust" oversight from Congress, as used during the investigation into the CIA torture report published earlier this year, as well as adjudication by federal courts in cases of alleged wrongful killings, and publication of the Obama administration's "legal and policy justifications, factual
"The Obama administration's lethal program desperately needs transparency and accountability because it is undermining the right to life and national security."
--Hina Shamsi, ACLUbases, and the consequences of its decisions to kill in response to Freedom of Information Act transparency requests."
Shamsi and Knuckey wrote:
Before and after the President's 2013 reforms, in speeches and strategic anonymous "leaks," US officials have sought to portray a "surgically precise" "targeted" killing program that is lawful, necessary, and minimizes harm to innocents. [....] But the administration's portrayal of its lethal force program is directly contradicted by on-the-ground investigations by civil society groups and others. (For some of the many detailed reports of civilian casualties, see here, here, here, here, here, and here).
The Intercept on Thursday published a cache of U.S. intelligence documents on the global assassination campaign provided by an anonymous whistleblower who said the program was morally flawed. The files show how the orders to place targets on kill lists and assassinate them come from the highest ranks of the U.S. government, including President Barack Obama, and how the military cleans up its dismal track record of civilian deaths by terming unidentified people killed in drone strikes as 'enemies.'
Some of the information disclosed in the leaks was previously known, but the documents provide never-before-seen details about the chain of command and the program's high rates of civilian casualties, with nearly 90 percent of those killed in drone strikes being not the intended target. The Obama administration has occasionally apologized and made condolence payments to victims' families, as he did when a drone strike killed two Western hostages in Pakistan in April, but the documents reveal how these rare instances of public remorse are the exception rather than the rule.
"These eye-opening disclosures make a mockery of U.S. government claims that its lethal force operations are based on reliable intelligence and limited to lawful targets," Shamsi said on Thursday. "In fact, the government often claims successes that are really tragic losses. The Obama administration's lethal program desperately needs transparency and accountability because it is undermining the right to life and national security."
And as Amnesty's Shah added, "These revelations are further damning evidence that the Obama administration is continuing the Bush-era project of treating the world as a global battlefield while evading public accountability."


