For Immediate Release
Brett Abrams, firstname.lastname@example.org
New Report: Fox News Pushed Coronavirus Misinformation 253x Between July 6-10
Laura Ingraham is top coronavirus misinformer, Fox’s The Ingraham Angle is responsible for 25% of the network’s coronavirus disinformation.
WASHINGTON - According to a new report from Media Matters for America, a nonprofit media watchdog, Fox News repeated coronavirus misinformation 253 times in its weekday coverage from July 6 through 10, including claims that undermined scientific research about the pandemic, eroded trust in public health experts and policy recommendations, called for reopening schools and businesses without regard to public health precautions, and politicized the country’s response to the virus.
- Nearly half of Fox’s coronavirus misinformation was about the science of coronavirus and health recommendations from experts (115 instances).
- Fox politicized recommended public health measures, such as face masks usage and business closures, 63 times.
- Fox emphasized the economy and reopening schools 46 times despite public health concerns.
- Fox’s The Ingraham Angle was responsible for a quarter of all coronavirus misinformation on the network during the study period.
- Fox’s “straight news” shows accounted for more than one-third of all coronavirus misinformation during the five day study period.
This is the world we live in. This is the world we cover.
Because of people like you, another world is possible. There are many battles to be won, but we will battle them together—all of us. Common Dreams is not your normal news site. We don't survive on clicks. We don't want advertising dollars. We want the world to be a better place. But we can't do it alone. It doesn't work that way. We need you. If you can help today—because every gift of every size matters—please do. Without Your Support We Simply Don't Exist.
Please select a donation method:
Media Matters for America is a Web-based, not-for-profit, 501(c)(3) progressive research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media.