For Immediate Release
Sham FBI Investigation a Continuation of the Kavanaugh Cover-Up
WASHINGTON - Statement from CREDO Action Co-Director Heidi Hess:
"The sham FBI investigation is nothing more than a continuation of the Kavanaugh cover-up that the White House and Senate Republicans have been engaged in throughout the entire confirmation process. It should not come as a surprise to anyone that a Trump-controlled investigation specifically designed to avoid uncovering corroborating evidence reportedly ended up doing just that."
"This is a career-defining vote for Sens. Flake, Collins, Murkowski, Manchin and Heitkamp. The power to keep an accused sexual predator off the Supreme Court rests entirely with them. All of them should be insulted that Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell think they're gullible enough to consider this investigation sufficient. Ultimately, for any senator who actually cares about sexual assault, perjury, judicial temperament or women's rights to make decisions about their own bodies, a no vote will be a no brainer."
CREDO has waged a full court press in opposition to Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation to the Supreme Court. Highlights include:
- Hundreds of thousands of CREDO members have signed petitions and tens of thousands more have made phone calls to key Senate offices.
- CREDO vice presidents Trish Tobin and Josh Nelson were arrested disrupting Brett Kavanaugh's Senate Judiciary Committee confirmation hearing on September 4.
- CREDO conducted polling in Maine, Alaska and New York showing strong public opposition to Kavanaugh.
- CREDO drafted and spearheaded a September 7 letter signed by more than a dozen leading progressive groups urging Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer to immediately unite all Senate Democrats in opposition.
- From September 4-6, CREDO's mobile billboard circulated on Capitol Hill to make clear that it is Sen. Chuck Schumer's job to unite all Senate Democrats in opposition to Kavanaugh.
Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to schedule an interview with CREDO Action Co-Director Heidi Hess.
This is the world we live in. This is the world we cover.
Because of people like you, another world is possible. There are many battles to be won, but we will battle them together—all of us. Common Dreams is not your normal news site. We don't survive on clicks. We don't want advertising dollars. We want the world to be a better place. But we can't do it alone. It doesn't work that way. We need you. If you can help today—because every gift of every size matters—please do. Without Your Support We Simply Won't Exist.
CREDO Action, part of CREDO Mobile, is a social change network of 4 million activists, sending millions of petition signatures and more than 100,000 phone calls to decision-makers each year. CREDO Action members also participate in meetings, protests and other direct action for progressive change.