Jul 01, 2016
Climate change is one of the key challenges threatening our health, our safety, and the stability of our planet. Rising global temperature threaten to uproot communities and even entire nations throughout the world. Half measures and gradual progress against this looming threat won't do. To protect existing and future generations from climate peril, we need immediate, decisive action. We need a Clean Energy Revolution.
And this is exactly what we, our allies at Americans Against Fracking, and many thousands of Americans from across the country will be demanding at the March for a Clean Energy Revolution, on the eve of the Democratic National Convention (DNC) in Philadelphia, July 24th.
The DNC is a rare and unique opportunity to engage with many of our country's current and future elected officials, media and opinion leaders in one place, in one moment. And we will seize it.
A true Clean Energy Revolution is very much achievable; this is what it would include, and what we'll be calling for in Philly:
* A ban on fracking and other unconventional, extreme fossil fuel extraction methods - we must keep fossil fuels in the ground!
* A halt to the rapid and reckless expansion of fossil fuel infrastructure including gas and oil pipelines, frac sand mining, wastewater injection wells, gas storage facilities, fossil fuel power plants, bomb trains, and other dirty infrastructure across the United States.
* A ban on the export of liquefied natural gas (LNG), a halt to the approval of export facilities, and a continuation of the ban on crude oil exports.
* A stop to other dirty energy sources including incineration, nuclear power, and biomass.
* Environmental justice for all to end the disproportionate impacts on low-income communities and communities of color.
* Swift action to invest in solar, wind and other clean energy power sources and energy efficiency measures across the United States so that we can transition quickly to a 100% renewable energy economy.
* A just transition for workers who are employed by the fossil fuel industry, and policies to ensure that the new renewable energy economy provides living wage jobs and benefits communities across the country.
In order to challenge and stem the immense corporate power that supports, sustains and profits from our dirty, polluting fossil fuel status-quo, people must organize and gather in mass to demonstrate to our elected leaders the overwhelming scope and energy of the grassroots movement for a true Clean Energy Revolution. Such a gathering in July 24 in Philadelphia will ensure our movement is acknowledged at the highest levels of government politics and power.
Help make the Clean Energy Revolution a reality now. March with us on July 24th.
© 2021 Food & Water Watch
We've had enough. The 1% own and operate the corporate media. They are doing everything they can to defend the status quo, squash dissent and protect the wealthy and the powerful. The Common Dreams media model is different. We cover the news that matters to the 99%. Our mission? To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. How? Nonprofit. Independent. Reader-supported. Free to read. Free to republish. Free to share. With no advertising. No paywalls. No selling of your data. Thousands of small donations fund our newsroom and allow us to continue publishing. Can you chip in? We can't do it without you. Thank you.