For Immediate Release
Phone: 202 679 2236
Dr Willie Soon: A Career Fueled by Big Oil and Coal
New research shows big oil and coal’s funding, Koch links for prominent climate denier
Key findings include:
- A Freedom of Information Act response from Smithsonian Institution reveals that in the last decade more than $1million of Dr Soon’s funding has come from oil and coal interests. Every grant he has received since 2002 has been from the fossil fuels industry.
- Koch Funding: A newly discovered 2010 grant to Dr. Soon from the Charles G. Koch Foundation of $65,000 shows up in the same FOIA responses. A previous grant from the Kochs of $110,000 is also detailed.
- One of the largest coal burning electric utilities in the world, Southern Company, gave Dr Soon two previously unrevealed grants totaling $230,000.
- Attack on IPCC report: Correspondence uncovered in our investigation reveals Soon coordinating a plan in 2003 to undermine the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s Assessment Report (AR4) Working Group 1 report (on science) – years before the report was written.
- Dr Soon successfully duped the Wall Street Journal editorial board in June 2011 into describing him as “a natural scientist at Harvard, an expert on mercury and public health issues,” despite no record of such public health expertise, and a clear attempt to mislead regarding his employment at Harvard.
The report, Dr Willie Soon: a career fueled by Big Oil and Coal, is available here: http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/en/campaigns/global-warming-and-energy/polluterwatch/koch-industries/CASE-STUDY-Dr-Willie-Soon-a-Career-Fueled-by-Big-Oil-and-Coal/
Dr Soon is speaking this week at the annual climate denier conference hosted by the Heartland Institute in Washington DC.
Greenpeace Head of Research, Kert Davies, is available for comment.
This is the world we live in. This is the world we cover.
Because of people like you, another world is possible. There are many battles to be won, but we will battle them together—all of us. Common Dreams is not your normal news site. We don't survive on clicks. We don't want advertising dollars. We want the world to be a better place. But we can't do it alone. It doesn't work that way. We need you. If you can help today—because every gift of every size matters—please do. Without Your Support We Simply Don't Exist.
Independent campaigning organization that uses non-violent, creative confrontation to expose global environmental problems, and to force solutions that are essential to a green and peaceful future.