

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.

Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) said on November 10, 2021 that she is trying to block the sale of U.S. weapons to Saudi Arabia. (Photo: Drew Angerer/Getty Images)
Congresswoman Ilhan Omar said Wednesday that she is working on legislation to stop a $650 million missile sale to Saudi Arabia that the U.S. State Department announced last week.
Criticism of the weapons sale has mounted since the State Department notified Congress that it approved the deal, with anti-war activists and other progressives accusing the Biden administration of breaking promises and exacerbating the Saudi-led war in Yemen.
Echoing those critiques Wednesday, Omar (D-Minn.) tweeted that "selling weapons to Saudi Arabia while they continue to slaughter Yemenis is unacceptable. If we truly believe in putting human rights at the center of our foreign policy we would not be arming human rights abusers."
Omar's tweet about legislation to prevent the Raytheon missiles and launchers from reaching Saudi Arabia came as other prominent House Democrats also blasted the sale--which doesn't require congressional approval but can be blocked by federal lawmakers.
Reps. Colin Allred (D-Texas), Joaquin Castro (D-Texas), Sara Jacobs (D-Calif.), Andy Kim (D-N.J.), Tom Malinowski (D-N.J.), Jim McGovern (D-Mass.), and Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) on Wednesday issued a joint statement asserting that "the only way to truly protect people in the region is to bring the war in Yemen to an end."
The statement highlighted that while the war in Yemen "has now claimed thousands of lives and remains a devastating humanitarian disaster," the Biden administration has taken supposed steps to promote peace in the region.
A week after taking office in January, President Joe Biden imposed a temporary freeze on arms sales to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. In early February, Biden announced his administration would cut off U.S. support for "offensive operations" in the Saudi-led war on Yemen and appoint a diplomatic envoy.
The Democrats said Wednesday that "while the administration has suspended offensive weapons sales, it continues to provide logistical support and spare parts that permit an escalation of offensive Saudi Air Force operations in Yemen. That needs to stop."
"We urge the administration to review the efficacy of its offensive weapons freeze and consider additional steps to bring about a cessation of airstrikes against belligerents in Yemen's civil war," the lawmakers added, while also vowing that they will strengthen provisions in the next annual National Defense Authorization Act "intended to help bring about an end to this conflict."
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Congresswoman Ilhan Omar said Wednesday that she is working on legislation to stop a $650 million missile sale to Saudi Arabia that the U.S. State Department announced last week.
Criticism of the weapons sale has mounted since the State Department notified Congress that it approved the deal, with anti-war activists and other progressives accusing the Biden administration of breaking promises and exacerbating the Saudi-led war in Yemen.
Echoing those critiques Wednesday, Omar (D-Minn.) tweeted that "selling weapons to Saudi Arabia while they continue to slaughter Yemenis is unacceptable. If we truly believe in putting human rights at the center of our foreign policy we would not be arming human rights abusers."
Omar's tweet about legislation to prevent the Raytheon missiles and launchers from reaching Saudi Arabia came as other prominent House Democrats also blasted the sale--which doesn't require congressional approval but can be blocked by federal lawmakers.
Reps. Colin Allred (D-Texas), Joaquin Castro (D-Texas), Sara Jacobs (D-Calif.), Andy Kim (D-N.J.), Tom Malinowski (D-N.J.), Jim McGovern (D-Mass.), and Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) on Wednesday issued a joint statement asserting that "the only way to truly protect people in the region is to bring the war in Yemen to an end."
The statement highlighted that while the war in Yemen "has now claimed thousands of lives and remains a devastating humanitarian disaster," the Biden administration has taken supposed steps to promote peace in the region.
A week after taking office in January, President Joe Biden imposed a temporary freeze on arms sales to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. In early February, Biden announced his administration would cut off U.S. support for "offensive operations" in the Saudi-led war on Yemen and appoint a diplomatic envoy.
The Democrats said Wednesday that "while the administration has suspended offensive weapons sales, it continues to provide logistical support and spare parts that permit an escalation of offensive Saudi Air Force operations in Yemen. That needs to stop."
"We urge the administration to review the efficacy of its offensive weapons freeze and consider additional steps to bring about a cessation of airstrikes against belligerents in Yemen's civil war," the lawmakers added, while also vowing that they will strengthen provisions in the next annual National Defense Authorization Act "intended to help bring about an end to this conflict."
Congresswoman Ilhan Omar said Wednesday that she is working on legislation to stop a $650 million missile sale to Saudi Arabia that the U.S. State Department announced last week.
Criticism of the weapons sale has mounted since the State Department notified Congress that it approved the deal, with anti-war activists and other progressives accusing the Biden administration of breaking promises and exacerbating the Saudi-led war in Yemen.
Echoing those critiques Wednesday, Omar (D-Minn.) tweeted that "selling weapons to Saudi Arabia while they continue to slaughter Yemenis is unacceptable. If we truly believe in putting human rights at the center of our foreign policy we would not be arming human rights abusers."
Omar's tweet about legislation to prevent the Raytheon missiles and launchers from reaching Saudi Arabia came as other prominent House Democrats also blasted the sale--which doesn't require congressional approval but can be blocked by federal lawmakers.
Reps. Colin Allred (D-Texas), Joaquin Castro (D-Texas), Sara Jacobs (D-Calif.), Andy Kim (D-N.J.), Tom Malinowski (D-N.J.), Jim McGovern (D-Mass.), and Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) on Wednesday issued a joint statement asserting that "the only way to truly protect people in the region is to bring the war in Yemen to an end."
The statement highlighted that while the war in Yemen "has now claimed thousands of lives and remains a devastating humanitarian disaster," the Biden administration has taken supposed steps to promote peace in the region.
A week after taking office in January, President Joe Biden imposed a temporary freeze on arms sales to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. In early February, Biden announced his administration would cut off U.S. support for "offensive operations" in the Saudi-led war on Yemen and appoint a diplomatic envoy.
The Democrats said Wednesday that "while the administration has suspended offensive weapons sales, it continues to provide logistical support and spare parts that permit an escalation of offensive Saudi Air Force operations in Yemen. That needs to stop."
"We urge the administration to review the efficacy of its offensive weapons freeze and consider additional steps to bring about a cessation of airstrikes against belligerents in Yemen's civil war," the lawmakers added, while also vowing that they will strengthen provisions in the next annual National Defense Authorization Act "intended to help bring about an end to this conflict."