

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.

CDC Director Robert Redfield looks on while testifying on Capitol Hill on July 2, 2020. (Photo: Graeme Jennings/Pool/AFP via Getty Images)
In a scathing letter sent late last month as coronavirus cases and deaths surged across the United States, renowned epidemiologist and former CDC chief Dr. William Foege called on the agency's current director to publicly speak out about the Trump administration's catastrophic failure to combat the pandemic and apologize for caving to the White House's influence--even if it means risking his job.
"You could upfront, acknowledge the tragedy of responding poorly, apologize for what has happened and your role in acquiescing, set a course for how CDC would now lead the country if there was no political interference, give them the ability to report such interference to a neutral ombudsman, and assure them that you will defend their attempts to save this country," Foege wrote in a September 23 letter (pdf) to Dr. Robert Redfield, who was appointed by President Donald Trump.
"Don't shy away from the fact this has been an unacceptable toll on our country. It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute."
--Dr. William Foege
"Don't shy away from the fact this has been an unacceptable toll on our country," the former CDC head added in the letter, which was published late Tuesday by USA Today. "It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute."
Foege, who served as CDC director under both Carter and Reagan, acknowledged that denouncing the White House would prompt a furious response and likely result in his firing. "When they fire you," Foege wrote, "this will be a multi-week story and you can hold your head high. That will take exceptional courage on your part."
But the risks of saying and doing nothing in the face of the Trump administration's deadly handling of the pandemic far too high, Foege said.
"Despite the White House spin attempts, this will go down as a colossal failure of the public health system of this country," Foege wrote. "The biggest challenge in a century and we let the country down."
Since Foege sent his letter last month, coronavirus infections have continued to rise across the U.S. and the nation's death toll has surpassed 210,000--a fact that prompted no change in policy or rhetoric from the Trump administration, which has repeatedly meddled in the work of government scientists, downplayed the pandemic, and ignored the advice of public health experts.
"The public health texts of the future will use this as a lesson on how not to handle an infectious disease pandemic," wrote Foege. "The cause will be the incompetence and illogic of the White House program."
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
In a scathing letter sent late last month as coronavirus cases and deaths surged across the United States, renowned epidemiologist and former CDC chief Dr. William Foege called on the agency's current director to publicly speak out about the Trump administration's catastrophic failure to combat the pandemic and apologize for caving to the White House's influence--even if it means risking his job.
"You could upfront, acknowledge the tragedy of responding poorly, apologize for what has happened and your role in acquiescing, set a course for how CDC would now lead the country if there was no political interference, give them the ability to report such interference to a neutral ombudsman, and assure them that you will defend their attempts to save this country," Foege wrote in a September 23 letter (pdf) to Dr. Robert Redfield, who was appointed by President Donald Trump.
"Don't shy away from the fact this has been an unacceptable toll on our country. It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute."
--Dr. William Foege
"Don't shy away from the fact this has been an unacceptable toll on our country," the former CDC head added in the letter, which was published late Tuesday by USA Today. "It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute."
Foege, who served as CDC director under both Carter and Reagan, acknowledged that denouncing the White House would prompt a furious response and likely result in his firing. "When they fire you," Foege wrote, "this will be a multi-week story and you can hold your head high. That will take exceptional courage on your part."
But the risks of saying and doing nothing in the face of the Trump administration's deadly handling of the pandemic far too high, Foege said.
"Despite the White House spin attempts, this will go down as a colossal failure of the public health system of this country," Foege wrote. "The biggest challenge in a century and we let the country down."
Since Foege sent his letter last month, coronavirus infections have continued to rise across the U.S. and the nation's death toll has surpassed 210,000--a fact that prompted no change in policy or rhetoric from the Trump administration, which has repeatedly meddled in the work of government scientists, downplayed the pandemic, and ignored the advice of public health experts.
"The public health texts of the future will use this as a lesson on how not to handle an infectious disease pandemic," wrote Foege. "The cause will be the incompetence and illogic of the White House program."
In a scathing letter sent late last month as coronavirus cases and deaths surged across the United States, renowned epidemiologist and former CDC chief Dr. William Foege called on the agency's current director to publicly speak out about the Trump administration's catastrophic failure to combat the pandemic and apologize for caving to the White House's influence--even if it means risking his job.
"You could upfront, acknowledge the tragedy of responding poorly, apologize for what has happened and your role in acquiescing, set a course for how CDC would now lead the country if there was no political interference, give them the ability to report such interference to a neutral ombudsman, and assure them that you will defend their attempts to save this country," Foege wrote in a September 23 letter (pdf) to Dr. Robert Redfield, who was appointed by President Donald Trump.
"Don't shy away from the fact this has been an unacceptable toll on our country. It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute."
--Dr. William Foege
"Don't shy away from the fact this has been an unacceptable toll on our country," the former CDC head added in the letter, which was published late Tuesday by USA Today. "It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute."
Foege, who served as CDC director under both Carter and Reagan, acknowledged that denouncing the White House would prompt a furious response and likely result in his firing. "When they fire you," Foege wrote, "this will be a multi-week story and you can hold your head high. That will take exceptional courage on your part."
But the risks of saying and doing nothing in the face of the Trump administration's deadly handling of the pandemic far too high, Foege said.
"Despite the White House spin attempts, this will go down as a colossal failure of the public health system of this country," Foege wrote. "The biggest challenge in a century and we let the country down."
Since Foege sent his letter last month, coronavirus infections have continued to rise across the U.S. and the nation's death toll has surpassed 210,000--a fact that prompted no change in policy or rhetoric from the Trump administration, which has repeatedly meddled in the work of government scientists, downplayed the pandemic, and ignored the advice of public health experts.
"The public health texts of the future will use this as a lesson on how not to handle an infectious disease pandemic," wrote Foege. "The cause will be the incompetence and illogic of the White House program."