
President Donald Trump speaks at the press briefing room flanked Attorney General William Barr, Defense Secretary Mark Esper, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley, National Security Advisor Robert O'Brien, and Chief of Naval Operations Admiral Michael Gilday on April 1, 2020 in Washington, D.C. (Photo: Win McNamee/Getty Images)
As Trump Lobs Threats and Deploys Missiles, Iran Demands Halt to 'Warmongering During Coronavirus Outbreak'
"What kind of maniac risks such a war in the middle of a global pandemic? Answer: President Donald Trump, aided and abetted by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and national security adviser Robert O'Brien."
The Iranian Foreign Ministry on Wednesday called for an immediate halt to "warmongering during the coronavirus outbreak" as U.S. forces reportedly deployed Patriot missiles to Iraq and President Donald Trump warned--without presenting a shred of evidence--that Tehran is planning a "sneak attack" on American troops in the region.
Warning that heightened U.S. military activity in Iraq could lead to further "instability and disaster" in the Middle East, Iran's Foreign Ministry said the Trump administration should "respect the wishes of the Iraqi people and government and leave the country." The Pentagon insisted in a statement that the Patriot missiles were mobilized for purely defensive purposes.
"Now we discover that strangling the Iranian economy isn't enough for Trump and Co. They are bent on using the spread of a deadly disease as cover for a new war."
--Mehdi Hasan, The Intercept
As Common Dreams reported, Trump on Wednesday threatened Iran with a "very heavy price" if it attacks "U.S. troops and/or assets" in the region, ignoring pleas from advocacy groups and the United Nations for a global ceasefire and international cooperation against the novel coronavirus, which has devastated the U.S. and Iran and is spreading quickly in Iraq.
Trump's tweet came just over an hour after he attended an intelligence briefing with U.S. national security officials.
In a tweet of his own late Wednesday, Iran's top diplomat Javad Zarif urged Trump "not to be misled by usual warmongers."
"Unlike the U.S.--which surreptitiously lies, cheats, assassinates--Iran only acts in self-defense," said Zarif. "Iran starts no wars, but teaches lessons to those who do."
The New York Times reported last week that the Pentagon has issued a directive ordering "military commanders to plan for an escalation of American combat in Iraq" and "prepare a campaign to destroy an Iranian-backed militia group that has threatened more attacks against American troops."
"Some top officials, including Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Robert C. O'Brien, the national security adviser, have been pushing for aggressive new action against Iran and its proxy forces--and see an opportunity to try to destroy Iranian-backed militia groups in Iraq as leaders in Iran are distracted by the pandemic crisis in their country," according to the Times.
In response to the Times report, The Intercept's Mehdi Hasan urged the U.S. public to "beware of Trump using the coronavirus as a cover for war with Iran."
"Question: What kind of maniac risks such a war in the middle of a global pandemic? Answer: President Donald Trump, aided and abetted by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and national security adviser Robert O'Brien," Hasan wrote.
"Less than two weeks ago, in a piece about the cruelty and callousness of maintaining sanctions on Iran while a pandemic rages across that country, I described the people in charge of the U.S. government as 'sociopaths,'" Hasan added. "Now we discover... that strangling the Iranian economy isn't enough for Trump and Co. They are bent on using the spread of a deadly disease as cover for a new war. Perhaps 'sociopaths' was an understatement."
An Urgent Message From Our Co-Founder
Dear Common Dreams reader, The U.S. is on a fast track to authoritarianism like nothing I've ever seen. Meanwhile, corporate news outlets are utterly capitulating to Trump, twisting their coverage to avoid drawing his ire while lining up to stuff cash in his pockets. That's why I believe that Common Dreams is doing the best and most consequential reporting that we've ever done. Our small but mighty team is a progressive reporting powerhouse, covering the news every day that the corporate media never will. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. And to ignite change for the common good. Now here's the key piece that I want all our readers to understand: None of this would be possible without your financial support. That's not just some fundraising cliche. It's the absolute and literal truth. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. The final deadline for our crucial Summer Campaign fundraising drive is just days away, and we’re falling short of our must-hit goal. Will you donate now to help power the nonprofit, independent reporting of Common Dreams? Thank you for being a vital member of our community. Together, we can keep independent journalism alive when it’s needed most. - Craig Brown, Co-founder |
The Iranian Foreign Ministry on Wednesday called for an immediate halt to "warmongering during the coronavirus outbreak" as U.S. forces reportedly deployed Patriot missiles to Iraq and President Donald Trump warned--without presenting a shred of evidence--that Tehran is planning a "sneak attack" on American troops in the region.
Warning that heightened U.S. military activity in Iraq could lead to further "instability and disaster" in the Middle East, Iran's Foreign Ministry said the Trump administration should "respect the wishes of the Iraqi people and government and leave the country." The Pentagon insisted in a statement that the Patriot missiles were mobilized for purely defensive purposes.
"Now we discover that strangling the Iranian economy isn't enough for Trump and Co. They are bent on using the spread of a deadly disease as cover for a new war."
--Mehdi Hasan, The Intercept
As Common Dreams reported, Trump on Wednesday threatened Iran with a "very heavy price" if it attacks "U.S. troops and/or assets" in the region, ignoring pleas from advocacy groups and the United Nations for a global ceasefire and international cooperation against the novel coronavirus, which has devastated the U.S. and Iran and is spreading quickly in Iraq.
Trump's tweet came just over an hour after he attended an intelligence briefing with U.S. national security officials.
In a tweet of his own late Wednesday, Iran's top diplomat Javad Zarif urged Trump "not to be misled by usual warmongers."
"Unlike the U.S.--which surreptitiously lies, cheats, assassinates--Iran only acts in self-defense," said Zarif. "Iran starts no wars, but teaches lessons to those who do."
The New York Times reported last week that the Pentagon has issued a directive ordering "military commanders to plan for an escalation of American combat in Iraq" and "prepare a campaign to destroy an Iranian-backed militia group that has threatened more attacks against American troops."
"Some top officials, including Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Robert C. O'Brien, the national security adviser, have been pushing for aggressive new action against Iran and its proxy forces--and see an opportunity to try to destroy Iranian-backed militia groups in Iraq as leaders in Iran are distracted by the pandemic crisis in their country," according to the Times.
In response to the Times report, The Intercept's Mehdi Hasan urged the U.S. public to "beware of Trump using the coronavirus as a cover for war with Iran."
"Question: What kind of maniac risks such a war in the middle of a global pandemic? Answer: President Donald Trump, aided and abetted by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and national security adviser Robert O'Brien," Hasan wrote.
"Less than two weeks ago, in a piece about the cruelty and callousness of maintaining sanctions on Iran while a pandemic rages across that country, I described the people in charge of the U.S. government as 'sociopaths,'" Hasan added. "Now we discover... that strangling the Iranian economy isn't enough for Trump and Co. They are bent on using the spread of a deadly disease as cover for a new war. Perhaps 'sociopaths' was an understatement."
The Iranian Foreign Ministry on Wednesday called for an immediate halt to "warmongering during the coronavirus outbreak" as U.S. forces reportedly deployed Patriot missiles to Iraq and President Donald Trump warned--without presenting a shred of evidence--that Tehran is planning a "sneak attack" on American troops in the region.
Warning that heightened U.S. military activity in Iraq could lead to further "instability and disaster" in the Middle East, Iran's Foreign Ministry said the Trump administration should "respect the wishes of the Iraqi people and government and leave the country." The Pentagon insisted in a statement that the Patriot missiles were mobilized for purely defensive purposes.
"Now we discover that strangling the Iranian economy isn't enough for Trump and Co. They are bent on using the spread of a deadly disease as cover for a new war."
--Mehdi Hasan, The Intercept
As Common Dreams reported, Trump on Wednesday threatened Iran with a "very heavy price" if it attacks "U.S. troops and/or assets" in the region, ignoring pleas from advocacy groups and the United Nations for a global ceasefire and international cooperation against the novel coronavirus, which has devastated the U.S. and Iran and is spreading quickly in Iraq.
Trump's tweet came just over an hour after he attended an intelligence briefing with U.S. national security officials.
In a tweet of his own late Wednesday, Iran's top diplomat Javad Zarif urged Trump "not to be misled by usual warmongers."
"Unlike the U.S.--which surreptitiously lies, cheats, assassinates--Iran only acts in self-defense," said Zarif. "Iran starts no wars, but teaches lessons to those who do."
The New York Times reported last week that the Pentagon has issued a directive ordering "military commanders to plan for an escalation of American combat in Iraq" and "prepare a campaign to destroy an Iranian-backed militia group that has threatened more attacks against American troops."
"Some top officials, including Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Robert C. O'Brien, the national security adviser, have been pushing for aggressive new action against Iran and its proxy forces--and see an opportunity to try to destroy Iranian-backed militia groups in Iraq as leaders in Iran are distracted by the pandemic crisis in their country," according to the Times.
In response to the Times report, The Intercept's Mehdi Hasan urged the U.S. public to "beware of Trump using the coronavirus as a cover for war with Iran."
"Question: What kind of maniac risks such a war in the middle of a global pandemic? Answer: President Donald Trump, aided and abetted by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and national security adviser Robert O'Brien," Hasan wrote.
"Less than two weeks ago, in a piece about the cruelty and callousness of maintaining sanctions on Iran while a pandemic rages across that country, I described the people in charge of the U.S. government as 'sociopaths,'" Hasan added. "Now we discover... that strangling the Iranian economy isn't enough for Trump and Co. They are bent on using the spread of a deadly disease as cover for a new war. Perhaps 'sociopaths' was an understatement."