A gunman opened fire on a music festival in Las Vegas, Nevada late Sunday, injuring more than 400 people and killing at least 50—the deadliest mass shooting in American history.
Law enforcement identified the lone suspected shooter as Stephen Paddock, a 64 year-old white male. Paddock was later found dead in the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino, located across the street from the concert grounds.
According to Sheriff Joe Lombardo of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, Paddock opened fire at the thousands of concertgoers from the 32nd floor of the hotel at around 10:15pm local time. At least eight firearms, along with several long rifles, were reportedly found in Paddock's room.
The Washington Post reports:
The gunman was previously known to local police for past run-ins with law enforcement, according to people familiar with the investigation. Recordings of the attack suggest the suspect used an automatic weapon.
The shooting occurred at the end of the Route 91 Harvest Festival, a three-day country music concert held over the weekend that reportedly drew 30,000 attendees. The concert grounds are adjacent to Mandalay Bay. The shots began as Jason Aldean, one of the final performers, was playing.
Videos of the horrifying scene quickly spread on social media. One witness told the local television station KLAS that "the shots just kept coming."
"Everybody's hiding everywhere, they're hiding under the bleachers, and the stanchions, and anywhere they could," she said.
Several videos caught the moment the first shots were fired.
Warning, the following videos are disturbing.
— Luke Broadlick (@LukeBroadlick) October 2, 2017
SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT
We must raise $75,000 during our Winter Campaign. Can you help?
The 1% own and operate the corporate media. They are doing everything they can to defend the status quo, squash dissent and protect the wealthy and the powerful. The Common Dreams media model is different. We cover the news that matters to the 99%. Our mission? To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good.
— ABC News (@ABC) October 2, 2017
A tragedy occurred in #LasVegas last night. My heart is with the families who lost loved ones and those who were injured in horrific attack.
— Sen. Al Franken (@SenFranken) October 2, 2017
A deeply sad day for the city of Las Vegas. London sends our condolences to the victims and their families.
— Sadiq Khan (@SadiqKhan) October 2, 2017
Terrible news from Las Vegas. Our thoughts are with all those affected and the emergency services working to save lives.
— Jeremy Corbyn (@jeremycorbyn) October 2, 2017
This senseless violence must end—thoughts and prayers are simply not enough. We must act to prevent this from happening again.
— Kirsten Gillibrand (@SenGillibrand) October 2, 2017