Skip to main content

Sign up for our newsletter.

Quality journalism. Progressive values. Direct to your inbox.

"For years, we have been confused by the sharp contrast between what we see with our own eyes and what the U.S. government tells the world. Slowly, the whole truth will come out," said Faisal bin Ali Jaber. (Photo: Reprieve)

"For years, we have been confused by the sharp contrast between what we see with our own eyes and what the U.S. government tells the world. Slowly, the whole truth will come out," said Faisal bin Ali Jaber. (Photo: Reprieve)

Drone Papers 'No Surprise to Yemenis,' Says Man Who Lost Family

"For years, we have been confused by the sharp contrast between what we see with our own eyes and what the U.S. government tells the world," said Faisal bin Ali Jaber.

Sarah Lazare

One man who lost family members to the covert U.S. drone war in Yemen responded Friday to The Intercept's explosive new exposé of the American "assassination complex" by proclaiming he is not surprised but now more hopeful "the whole truth will come out."

"I read that the Americans have very little knowledge of the innocent civilians they are killing in Yemen," said Faisal bin Ali Jaber, a Yemeni engineer whose nephew Waleed bin Ali Jaber and brother-in-law Salem bin Ali Jaber were killed in a 2012 U.S. drone strike attack on their village of Khashamir.

"This is no surprise to Yemenis," he continued. "For years, we have been confused by the sharp contrast between what we see with our own eyes and what the U.S. government tells the world. Slowly, the whole truth will come out."

"I hope that my American court case will help that happen. But how many innocent Yemeni men, women and children will die before it does?" Jaber added, referencing his months-long court battle for justice or, short of that, acknowledgment of his loss. The administration of President Barack Obama earlier this month rejected a settlement offer that would have required a formal apology for the drone strike that killed Jaber's family.

Joe Pace, an attorney for the legal charity Reprieve who represents Jaber, said: "We were told that the drone program was 'safe' and 'effective.' When we raised concerns with the Administration that it was anything but, we were told 'trust us.'"

"These leaked reports confirming the staggering inaccuracy of the U.S drone program may be news to the American people who have been lied to by this Administration, but there's nothing revelatory for [Jaber] or the millions who live under constant threat of U.S. drone strikes," Pace continued. "[Jaber] and countless others have witnessed their loved ones literally blown to pieces based on a toxic combination of garbage intelligence and U.S. indifference to foreign lives."


Our work is licensed under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0). Feel free to republish and share widely.

We've had enough. The 1% own and operate the corporate media. They are doing everything they can to defend the status quo, squash dissent and protect the wealthy and the powerful. The Common Dreams media model is different. We cover the news that matters to the 99%. Our mission? To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. How? Nonprofit. Independent. Reader-supported. Free to read. Free to republish. Free to share. With no advertising. No paywalls. No selling of your data. Thousands of small donations fund our newsroom and allow us to continue publishing. Can you chip in? We can't do it without you. Thank you.

Facebook 'Appallingly Failed' to Detect Election Misinformation in Brazil, Says Democracy Watchdog

"The disinformation that Facebook allows on its platform feeds into the 'stop the steal' narrative in Brazil—a growing tactic intended to set the stage for contesting the election."

Julia Conley ·


'Scary Stuff': GOP Election Deniers Surge to Victory in 2024 Battlegrounds

"This is how our democracy could crumble, quickly and quietly," warned one observer.

Jake Johnson ·


On Social Security's 87th Birthday, Progressives Warn GOP Wants to 'Take a Chainsaw to It'

"We need to pass Social Security 2100 to protect and expand this vital service," said the Congressional Progressive Caucus.

Jake Johnson ·


House Democrats Request 'Damage Assessment' Following Recovery of Classified Docs

"Former President Trump's conduct has potentially put our national security at grave risk," Reps. Carolyn Maloney and Adam Schiff wrote to Director of National Intelligence Avril Haines.

Kenny Stancil ·


Violent Threats Against FBI Soar as Trump Lies About Mar-a-Lago Search

Menacing messages posted online "include a threat to place a so-called dirty bomb in front of FBI Headquarters" and "general calls for 'civil war' and 'armed rebellion,'" officials warned.

Kenny Stancil ·

Common Dreams Logo