

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.

Jack Smith, the special counsel who investigated former President Donald Trump's alleged mishandling of classified documents and his role in the January 6th insurrection.
What became of the principle that no person is above the law, not even a former president?
Today, the rule of law was thrown out the window — not by Trump but by Special Counsel Jack Smith.
Smith asked a federal judge to dismiss the indictment charging Trump with plotting to subvert the 2020 election.
Smith made a similar filing to an appeals court in Atlanta, thereby ending Smith’s attempt to reverse the dismissal of the federal case accusing Trump of illegally holding on to classified documents after he left office.
Both filings were a grave mistake.
What happened to the rule of law? What became of the principle that no person is above the law, not even a former president? What happened to accountability?
Smith says he had no choice, given the Justice Department’s policy that it’s unconstitutional to pursue prosecutions against sitting presidents.
But he did have a choice. He could have asked the courts to put the cases on hold until Trump is no longer president.
That’s essentially what Judge Juan Merchan did Friday with regard to sentencing Trump on his May conviction on 34 counts of falsifying business records.
Sentencing in that case had been scheduled for Nov. 26 but has now been stayed, according to an order issued Friday by Merchan. No new date for a potential sentencing has been set, delaying it indefinitely, although it could be reimposed later.
It’s no answer to say there’s no point in trying to keep the two cases alive because Trump will force his new Attorney General to quash them.
Let Trump do that, so all the world can see him seek to avoid accountability for what he has done. And let Trump’s Justice Department—which will likely be headed by former Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi—ask the federal judges involved in the two cases to dismiss them, so all the world can see Trump’s Justice Department acting as Trump’s handmaiden.
Smith should have put the responsibility for avoiding the rule of law squarely on Trump.
In the meantime, Smith should release all the evidence that his team has accumulated about Trump’s plot to subvert the 2020 election and illegally possess highly classified information.
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Today, the rule of law was thrown out the window — not by Trump but by Special Counsel Jack Smith.
Smith asked a federal judge to dismiss the indictment charging Trump with plotting to subvert the 2020 election.
Smith made a similar filing to an appeals court in Atlanta, thereby ending Smith’s attempt to reverse the dismissal of the federal case accusing Trump of illegally holding on to classified documents after he left office.
Both filings were a grave mistake.
What happened to the rule of law? What became of the principle that no person is above the law, not even a former president? What happened to accountability?
Smith says he had no choice, given the Justice Department’s policy that it’s unconstitutional to pursue prosecutions against sitting presidents.
But he did have a choice. He could have asked the courts to put the cases on hold until Trump is no longer president.
That’s essentially what Judge Juan Merchan did Friday with regard to sentencing Trump on his May conviction on 34 counts of falsifying business records.
Sentencing in that case had been scheduled for Nov. 26 but has now been stayed, according to an order issued Friday by Merchan. No new date for a potential sentencing has been set, delaying it indefinitely, although it could be reimposed later.
It’s no answer to say there’s no point in trying to keep the two cases alive because Trump will force his new Attorney General to quash them.
Let Trump do that, so all the world can see him seek to avoid accountability for what he has done. And let Trump’s Justice Department—which will likely be headed by former Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi—ask the federal judges involved in the two cases to dismiss them, so all the world can see Trump’s Justice Department acting as Trump’s handmaiden.
Smith should have put the responsibility for avoiding the rule of law squarely on Trump.
In the meantime, Smith should release all the evidence that his team has accumulated about Trump’s plot to subvert the 2020 election and illegally possess highly classified information.
Today, the rule of law was thrown out the window — not by Trump but by Special Counsel Jack Smith.
Smith asked a federal judge to dismiss the indictment charging Trump with plotting to subvert the 2020 election.
Smith made a similar filing to an appeals court in Atlanta, thereby ending Smith’s attempt to reverse the dismissal of the federal case accusing Trump of illegally holding on to classified documents after he left office.
Both filings were a grave mistake.
What happened to the rule of law? What became of the principle that no person is above the law, not even a former president? What happened to accountability?
Smith says he had no choice, given the Justice Department’s policy that it’s unconstitutional to pursue prosecutions against sitting presidents.
But he did have a choice. He could have asked the courts to put the cases on hold until Trump is no longer president.
That’s essentially what Judge Juan Merchan did Friday with regard to sentencing Trump on his May conviction on 34 counts of falsifying business records.
Sentencing in that case had been scheduled for Nov. 26 but has now been stayed, according to an order issued Friday by Merchan. No new date for a potential sentencing has been set, delaying it indefinitely, although it could be reimposed later.
It’s no answer to say there’s no point in trying to keep the two cases alive because Trump will force his new Attorney General to quash them.
Let Trump do that, so all the world can see him seek to avoid accountability for what he has done. And let Trump’s Justice Department—which will likely be headed by former Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi—ask the federal judges involved in the two cases to dismiss them, so all the world can see Trump’s Justice Department acting as Trump’s handmaiden.
Smith should have put the responsibility for avoiding the rule of law squarely on Trump.
In the meantime, Smith should release all the evidence that his team has accumulated about Trump’s plot to subvert the 2020 election and illegally possess highly classified information.