For Immediate Release
New Obama Initiatives Add Critical Elements to Climate Change Agenda
WASHINGTON - The Obama Administration today added critical components to the president’s climate change agenda by unveiling broad initiatives that will further protect public health, the health of the nation’s infrastructure, and the health of our economy.
The following is a statement by Frances Beinecke, president of the Natural Resources Defense Council:
“President Obama’s latest initiatives make it abundantly clear that there remains much to do – beyond curbing dangerous carbon pollution from power plants – if we are to avoid the worst impacts of climate change. His message is at once urgent and encouraging. Climate change is here and now. We are running out of time – but not out of solutions.”
Among the administration’s climate initiatives:
- The Centers for Disease Control, in a new report, lays out the health hazards from climate change, which will help communities build in resilience measures to cope with specific health vulnerability;
- A nearly $1 billion National Disaster Resilience Competition will help communities be prepared for future natural disasters;
- Department of Interior will work with Indian tribes on climate adaptation;
- Department of Agriculture will award $236 million to bolster rural electric infrastructure in eight states;
- Department of Agriculture will continue to try to safeguard drinking water in rural communities affected by the West Coast drought;
- Federal Emergency Management Agency will call upon states to include climate variability in their state hazard mitigation planning.
- Improving storm water management and making coasts more resilient in the face of rising sea levels.
This is the world we live in. This is the world we cover.
Because of people like you, another world is possible. There are many battles to be won, but we will battle them together—all of us. Common Dreams is not your normal news site. We don't survive on clicks. We don't want advertising dollars. We want the world to be a better place. But we can't do it alone. It doesn't work that way. We need you. If you can help today—because every gift of every size matters—please do. Without Your Support We Simply Don't Exist.
The Natural Resources Defense Council is a national, nonprofit organization of scientists, lawyers and environmental specialists dedicated to protecting public health and the environment. Founded in 1970, NRDC has 1.2 million members and online activists, served from offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Beijing.