
US President Donald Trump speaks after signing an executive order in the Oval Office of the White House on April 9, 2025.
In Spite of Court Order, Trump White House Keeps 'Contemptuous' Ban on AP
"Is it a constitutional crisis yet?" asked one journalist.
Despite a federal court ruling last week, journalists with the Associated Press were blocked from reporting on several White House events on Monday, leading to fresh accusations that President Donald Trump is openly violating court orders as well as core constitutional protections, in this case freedom of speech and the press.
"Our journalists were blocked from the Oval Office today," said Lauren Easton, an AP spokesperson, following a press event with Trump and El Salvador President Nayib Bukele. "We expect the White House to restore AP's participation in the pool as of today, as provided in the injunction order."
A pair of AP photographers were later allowed to attend an event on the South Lawn, but a print journalist was barred from entry.
According to the AP:
Last week's federal court decision forbidding the Trump administration from punishing the AP for refusing to rename the Gulf of Mexico was to take effect Monday. The administration is appealing the decision and arguing with the news outlet over whether it needs to change anything until those appeals are exhausted.
The U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. circuit set a Thursday hearing on Trump’s request that any changes be delayed while case is reviewed. The AP is fighting for more access as soon as possible.
"Is it a constitutional crisis yet?" asked Missouri-based journalist Steve Lambson in response to the latest developments.
"More contemptuous behavior by this administration," added attorney Bernadette Foley. "What will the courts do about it? What will GOP do?"
In the federal court ruling last week, the presiding judge wrote that access to presidential events "must be reasonable and not viewpoint-based," though the White House has been clear the decision was a punitive response to editorial decisions by AP with which it disagreed.
"While the AP does not have a constitutional right to enter the Oval Office," the judge said, "it does have a right to not be excluded because of its viewpoint. … All the AP wants, and all it gets, is a level playing field."
An Urgent Message From Our Co-Founder
Dear Common Dreams reader, The U.S. is on a fast track to authoritarianism like nothing I've ever seen. Meanwhile, corporate news outlets are utterly capitulating to Trump, twisting their coverage to avoid drawing his ire while lining up to stuff cash in his pockets. That's why I believe that Common Dreams is doing the best and most consequential reporting that we've ever done. Our small but mighty team is a progressive reporting powerhouse, covering the news every day that the corporate media never will. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. And to ignite change for the common good. Now here's the key piece that I want all our readers to understand: None of this would be possible without your financial support. That's not just some fundraising cliche. It's the absolute and literal truth. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. The final deadline for our crucial Summer Campaign fundraising drive is just days away, and we’re falling short of our must-hit goal. Will you donate now to help power the nonprofit, independent reporting of Common Dreams? Thank you for being a vital member of our community. Together, we can keep independent journalism alive when it’s needed most. - Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Despite a federal court ruling last week, journalists with the Associated Press were blocked from reporting on several White House events on Monday, leading to fresh accusations that President Donald Trump is openly violating court orders as well as core constitutional protections, in this case freedom of speech and the press.
"Our journalists were blocked from the Oval Office today," said Lauren Easton, an AP spokesperson, following a press event with Trump and El Salvador President Nayib Bukele. "We expect the White House to restore AP's participation in the pool as of today, as provided in the injunction order."
A pair of AP photographers were later allowed to attend an event on the South Lawn, but a print journalist was barred from entry.
According to the AP:
Last week's federal court decision forbidding the Trump administration from punishing the AP for refusing to rename the Gulf of Mexico was to take effect Monday. The administration is appealing the decision and arguing with the news outlet over whether it needs to change anything until those appeals are exhausted.
The U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. circuit set a Thursday hearing on Trump’s request that any changes be delayed while case is reviewed. The AP is fighting for more access as soon as possible.
"Is it a constitutional crisis yet?" asked Missouri-based journalist Steve Lambson in response to the latest developments.
"More contemptuous behavior by this administration," added attorney Bernadette Foley. "What will the courts do about it? What will GOP do?"
In the federal court ruling last week, the presiding judge wrote that access to presidential events "must be reasonable and not viewpoint-based," though the White House has been clear the decision was a punitive response to editorial decisions by AP with which it disagreed.
"While the AP does not have a constitutional right to enter the Oval Office," the judge said, "it does have a right to not be excluded because of its viewpoint. … All the AP wants, and all it gets, is a level playing field."
Despite a federal court ruling last week, journalists with the Associated Press were blocked from reporting on several White House events on Monday, leading to fresh accusations that President Donald Trump is openly violating court orders as well as core constitutional protections, in this case freedom of speech and the press.
"Our journalists were blocked from the Oval Office today," said Lauren Easton, an AP spokesperson, following a press event with Trump and El Salvador President Nayib Bukele. "We expect the White House to restore AP's participation in the pool as of today, as provided in the injunction order."
A pair of AP photographers were later allowed to attend an event on the South Lawn, but a print journalist was barred from entry.
According to the AP:
Last week's federal court decision forbidding the Trump administration from punishing the AP for refusing to rename the Gulf of Mexico was to take effect Monday. The administration is appealing the decision and arguing with the news outlet over whether it needs to change anything until those appeals are exhausted.
The U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. circuit set a Thursday hearing on Trump’s request that any changes be delayed while case is reviewed. The AP is fighting for more access as soon as possible.
"Is it a constitutional crisis yet?" asked Missouri-based journalist Steve Lambson in response to the latest developments.
"More contemptuous behavior by this administration," added attorney Bernadette Foley. "What will the courts do about it? What will GOP do?"
In the federal court ruling last week, the presiding judge wrote that access to presidential events "must be reasonable and not viewpoint-based," though the White House has been clear the decision was a punitive response to editorial decisions by AP with which it disagreed.
"While the AP does not have a constitutional right to enter the Oval Office," the judge said, "it does have a right to not be excluded because of its viewpoint. … All the AP wants, and all it gets, is a level playing field."