
Central American migrants wait in line at the El Chaparral border crossing before being transported to a shelter in Tijuana, Mexico, on July 22, 2019. (Photo: Eduardo Jaramillo Castro/AFP/Getty Images)
'History Will Judge Us Harshly': Horror and Outrage as Trump Slashes Refugee Cap to Record Low
"There are truly no words that can describe how insidious and deleterious this is," said one Arizona lawmaker
In what rights groups condemned as a move driven not by America's capacity to resettle those fleeing violence and persecution but solely by President Donald Trump's hate-filled political agenda, the State Department on Thursday said the U.S. will accept no more than 18,000 refugees over the next fiscal year.
The cap marks an all-time low since the U.S. refugee admissions program was established in 1980. The previous low of 30,000 was set by the Trump administration last year.
"The president is abusing his power by using people seeking safety as an opportunity to rile up hostility and create a climate of fear."
--Ryan Mace, Amnesty International USA
Trump on Thursday also signed an executive order that would empower states and localities to refuse to resettle refugees.
"To cut the number of refugees the U.S. will accept to this low of a number reflects nothing more than this administration's attempts to further hate, division, and prejudice in a country that once valued dignity, equality, and fairness," Ryan Mace, grassroots advocacy and refugee specialist at Amnesty International USA, said in a statement.
"Sadly, this number isn't based in fact," said Mace. "The fact is, the U.S. has the capacity to accept far more refugees than this. We know that we can vet them and resettle them at rates far higher than this--because the U.S. has done it for decades. This is purely a political decision, and one that couldn't come at a worse time. The president is abusing his power by using people seeking safety as an opportunity to rile up hostility and create a climate of fear."
The "unprecedented reduction in admissions" for fiscal year 2020 represents the third consecutive year the Trump administration has dramatically lowered the number of refugees allowed to enter and resettle in the United States. In July, as Common Dreams reported, Trump administration officials privately floated the possibility of cutting the refugee cap to zero.
\u201cBREAKING: The Trump Administration confirmed it is proposing an annual admissions ceiling for refugees at 18,000. This represents another drastic reduction in the US refugee admissions goal, which on average has exceeded 95,000 since 1980. https://t.co/qhMtjXgn83\u201d— IRC - International Rescue Committee (@IRC - International Rescue Committee) 1569534764
\u201cThere are truly no words that can describe how insidious and deleterious this is. History will judge us harshly. #StandWithRefugees \nhttps://t.co/RSPnsKKos4\u201d— Rep. Athena Salman (@Rep. Athena Salman) 1569545697
According to Politico, which obtained a document on the administration's new refugee cap, "the 18,000-person refugee ceiling contains several carveouts":
The administration will reserve 5,000 slots for refugee persecuted on the basis of religion, and 4,000 spaces for Iraqis who assisted U.S. forces in that country. Another 1,500 refugee placements will be set aside for residents of Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras, according to the document.
After the carveouts, the administration will make another 7,500 spaces available to the remainder of the refugee pool. The document shared with lawmakers said that group could include referrals from U.S. embassies, refugees joining family members and refugees to be resettled as the result of an Obama-era agreement with Australia.
David Miliband, president and CEO of the International Rescue Committee, said in a statement that the Trump administration's refugee limit represents "unspeakable setback for refugee mothers who wish to see their children in school, parents who wish to work and support their family, and children who deserve a chance at life that isn't solely defined by the instability and the trauma of their childhood."
"This is a very sad day for America," said Miliband. "Refugee resettlement is an essential lifeline that the U.S. provides for the most vulnerable refugees at a time of unprecedented global crisis."
An Urgent Message From Our Co-Founder
Dear Common Dreams reader, The U.S. is on a fast track to authoritarianism like nothing I've ever seen. Meanwhile, corporate news outlets are utterly capitulating to Trump, twisting their coverage to avoid drawing his ire while lining up to stuff cash in his pockets. That's why I believe that Common Dreams is doing the best and most consequential reporting that we've ever done. Our small but mighty team is a progressive reporting powerhouse, covering the news every day that the corporate media never will. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. And to ignite change for the common good. Now here's the key piece that I want all our readers to understand: None of this would be possible without your financial support. That's not just some fundraising cliche. It's the absolute and literal truth. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. The final deadline for our crucial Summer Campaign fundraising drive is just days away, and we’re falling short of our must-hit goal. Will you donate now to help power the nonprofit, independent reporting of Common Dreams? Thank you for being a vital member of our community. Together, we can keep independent journalism alive when it’s needed most. - Craig Brown, Co-founder |
In what rights groups condemned as a move driven not by America's capacity to resettle those fleeing violence and persecution but solely by President Donald Trump's hate-filled political agenda, the State Department on Thursday said the U.S. will accept no more than 18,000 refugees over the next fiscal year.
The cap marks an all-time low since the U.S. refugee admissions program was established in 1980. The previous low of 30,000 was set by the Trump administration last year.
"The president is abusing his power by using people seeking safety as an opportunity to rile up hostility and create a climate of fear."
--Ryan Mace, Amnesty International USA
Trump on Thursday also signed an executive order that would empower states and localities to refuse to resettle refugees.
"To cut the number of refugees the U.S. will accept to this low of a number reflects nothing more than this administration's attempts to further hate, division, and prejudice in a country that once valued dignity, equality, and fairness," Ryan Mace, grassroots advocacy and refugee specialist at Amnesty International USA, said in a statement.
"Sadly, this number isn't based in fact," said Mace. "The fact is, the U.S. has the capacity to accept far more refugees than this. We know that we can vet them and resettle them at rates far higher than this--because the U.S. has done it for decades. This is purely a political decision, and one that couldn't come at a worse time. The president is abusing his power by using people seeking safety as an opportunity to rile up hostility and create a climate of fear."
The "unprecedented reduction in admissions" for fiscal year 2020 represents the third consecutive year the Trump administration has dramatically lowered the number of refugees allowed to enter and resettle in the United States. In July, as Common Dreams reported, Trump administration officials privately floated the possibility of cutting the refugee cap to zero.
\u201cBREAKING: The Trump Administration confirmed it is proposing an annual admissions ceiling for refugees at 18,000. This represents another drastic reduction in the US refugee admissions goal, which on average has exceeded 95,000 since 1980. https://t.co/qhMtjXgn83\u201d— IRC - International Rescue Committee (@IRC - International Rescue Committee) 1569534764
\u201cThere are truly no words that can describe how insidious and deleterious this is. History will judge us harshly. #StandWithRefugees \nhttps://t.co/RSPnsKKos4\u201d— Rep. Athena Salman (@Rep. Athena Salman) 1569545697
According to Politico, which obtained a document on the administration's new refugee cap, "the 18,000-person refugee ceiling contains several carveouts":
The administration will reserve 5,000 slots for refugee persecuted on the basis of religion, and 4,000 spaces for Iraqis who assisted U.S. forces in that country. Another 1,500 refugee placements will be set aside for residents of Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras, according to the document.
After the carveouts, the administration will make another 7,500 spaces available to the remainder of the refugee pool. The document shared with lawmakers said that group could include referrals from U.S. embassies, refugees joining family members and refugees to be resettled as the result of an Obama-era agreement with Australia.
David Miliband, president and CEO of the International Rescue Committee, said in a statement that the Trump administration's refugee limit represents "unspeakable setback for refugee mothers who wish to see their children in school, parents who wish to work and support their family, and children who deserve a chance at life that isn't solely defined by the instability and the trauma of their childhood."
"This is a very sad day for America," said Miliband. "Refugee resettlement is an essential lifeline that the U.S. provides for the most vulnerable refugees at a time of unprecedented global crisis."
In what rights groups condemned as a move driven not by America's capacity to resettle those fleeing violence and persecution but solely by President Donald Trump's hate-filled political agenda, the State Department on Thursday said the U.S. will accept no more than 18,000 refugees over the next fiscal year.
The cap marks an all-time low since the U.S. refugee admissions program was established in 1980. The previous low of 30,000 was set by the Trump administration last year.
"The president is abusing his power by using people seeking safety as an opportunity to rile up hostility and create a climate of fear."
--Ryan Mace, Amnesty International USA
Trump on Thursday also signed an executive order that would empower states and localities to refuse to resettle refugees.
"To cut the number of refugees the U.S. will accept to this low of a number reflects nothing more than this administration's attempts to further hate, division, and prejudice in a country that once valued dignity, equality, and fairness," Ryan Mace, grassroots advocacy and refugee specialist at Amnesty International USA, said in a statement.
"Sadly, this number isn't based in fact," said Mace. "The fact is, the U.S. has the capacity to accept far more refugees than this. We know that we can vet them and resettle them at rates far higher than this--because the U.S. has done it for decades. This is purely a political decision, and one that couldn't come at a worse time. The president is abusing his power by using people seeking safety as an opportunity to rile up hostility and create a climate of fear."
The "unprecedented reduction in admissions" for fiscal year 2020 represents the third consecutive year the Trump administration has dramatically lowered the number of refugees allowed to enter and resettle in the United States. In July, as Common Dreams reported, Trump administration officials privately floated the possibility of cutting the refugee cap to zero.
\u201cBREAKING: The Trump Administration confirmed it is proposing an annual admissions ceiling for refugees at 18,000. This represents another drastic reduction in the US refugee admissions goal, which on average has exceeded 95,000 since 1980. https://t.co/qhMtjXgn83\u201d— IRC - International Rescue Committee (@IRC - International Rescue Committee) 1569534764
\u201cThere are truly no words that can describe how insidious and deleterious this is. History will judge us harshly. #StandWithRefugees \nhttps://t.co/RSPnsKKos4\u201d— Rep. Athena Salman (@Rep. Athena Salman) 1569545697
According to Politico, which obtained a document on the administration's new refugee cap, "the 18,000-person refugee ceiling contains several carveouts":
The administration will reserve 5,000 slots for refugee persecuted on the basis of religion, and 4,000 spaces for Iraqis who assisted U.S. forces in that country. Another 1,500 refugee placements will be set aside for residents of Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras, according to the document.
After the carveouts, the administration will make another 7,500 spaces available to the remainder of the refugee pool. The document shared with lawmakers said that group could include referrals from U.S. embassies, refugees joining family members and refugees to be resettled as the result of an Obama-era agreement with Australia.
David Miliband, president and CEO of the International Rescue Committee, said in a statement that the Trump administration's refugee limit represents "unspeakable setback for refugee mothers who wish to see their children in school, parents who wish to work and support their family, and children who deserve a chance at life that isn't solely defined by the instability and the trauma of their childhood."
"This is a very sad day for America," said Miliband. "Refugee resettlement is an essential lifeline that the U.S. provides for the most vulnerable refugees at a time of unprecedented global crisis."