
Rubble of a house destroyed in recent airstrikes carried out by warplanes of the Saudi-led coalition in Sanaa, Yemen. (Photo: Mohammed Hamoud/Getty Images)
'Another Horrific Attack': US-Backed Saudi Coalition Bombs Yemen School, Killing Mostly Children
"President Trump, I urge you to sign the resolution Congress passed last week ending U.S. support for this conflict. Yemen needs humanitarian aid, not more bombs," tweeted Sen. Bernie Sanders
With a War Powers resolution that would end U.S. military support for Saudi Arabia's assault on Yemen currently on President Donald Trump's desk, the Saudi-led coalition on Sunday reportedly bombed a residential area in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa, killing at least 11 and injuring dozens more.
According to local medical officials, most of those killed were young children after Saudi airstrikes hit a Yemeni school.
"Everyone was hysterical, some were crying and shouting in panic," Fatehiya Kahlani, principal of Al Raei school, told Al Jazeera. "The situation was horrible as the school population is 2,100. Some girl students were killed and others were wounded and are in a hospital as a result of the missile strike. The school building was destroyed too."
None— Fatik Al-Rodaini (@Fatik Al-Rodaini) 1560966770
As Al Jazeera reported:
Youssef al-Hadrii, a spokesman for the rebel-controlled health ministry, was quoted by DPA news agency as saying that the attack on Sunday left more than 39 people wounded.
He said most of the victims were students killed in the bombing of houses and a school.
The Saudi-led coalition denied bombing the area.
Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), who helped lead the Senate effort to end U.S. complicity in Saudi Arabia's atrocities in Yemen, once again called on Trump to sign the Yemen Wars Powers resolution.
"Another horrific attack in the Saudi-led war in Yemen. More children dead," tweeted Sanders, a 2020 presidential candidate. "President Trump, I urge you to sign the resolution Congress passed last week ending U.S. support for this conflict. Yemen needs humanitarian aid, not more bombs."
\u201cAnother horrific attack in the Saudi-led war in Yemen. More children dead. President Trump, I urge you to sign the resolution Congress passed last week ending U.S. support for this conflict. Yemen needs humanitarian aid, not more bombs.\u201d— Bernie Sanders (@Bernie Sanders) 1554688040
Reacting to the latest Saudi-led attack on Yemen--which comes around two weeks after the coalition bombed a Yemeni hospital--Rep. Ted Lieu (D-Calif.) demanded to know whether the Trump administration provided the Saudis with "targeting or other assistance... for this airstrike that killed girl students."
"Why is the Trump administration still supporting the Saudi-led coalition, which has committed multiple war crimes?" Lieu asked.
\u201cDear @SecPompeo, @ActingSecDef: Did the US provide targeting or other assistance to #SaudiArabia for this airstrike that killed girl students in #Yemen?\n\nWhy is the @realDonaldTrump Administration still supporting the #Saudi led coalition, which has committed multiple war crimes?\u201d— Ted Lieu (@Ted Lieu) 1554657708
Reports of the Saudi-led coalition's continued bombing of Yemen come days after the U.S. House voted to send the Yemen War Powers resolution to Trump's desk.
If the president signs the measure, it would end U.S. military assistance to the Saudis in its years-long war on Yemen, which has created the world's worst humanitarian disaster.
While Trump is expected to veto the measure, a bipartisan group of lawmakers sent a letter to the president last week requesting a meeting on the resolution and urging him to sign it.
"We believe that by signing this historic legislation to terminate an unconstitutional war that predates your presidency, you will set a new precedent for cooperation with both chambers of Congress to overcome such entrenched opposition to foreign-policy restraint," reads the letter, which was signed by Sanders, Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.), Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.), Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), and other lawmakers.
An Urgent Message From Our Co-Founder
Dear Common Dreams reader, The U.S. is on a fast track to authoritarianism like nothing I've ever seen. Meanwhile, corporate news outlets are utterly capitulating to Trump, twisting their coverage to avoid drawing his ire while lining up to stuff cash in his pockets. That's why I believe that Common Dreams is doing the best and most consequential reporting that we've ever done. Our small but mighty team is a progressive reporting powerhouse, covering the news every day that the corporate media never will. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. And to ignite change for the common good. Now here's the key piece that I want all our readers to understand: None of this would be possible without your financial support. That's not just some fundraising cliche. It's the absolute and literal truth. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. The final deadline for our crucial Summer Campaign fundraising drive is just days away, and we’re falling short of our must-hit goal. Will you donate now to help power the nonprofit, independent reporting of Common Dreams? Thank you for being a vital member of our community. Together, we can keep independent journalism alive when it’s needed most. - Craig Brown, Co-founder |
With a War Powers resolution that would end U.S. military support for Saudi Arabia's assault on Yemen currently on President Donald Trump's desk, the Saudi-led coalition on Sunday reportedly bombed a residential area in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa, killing at least 11 and injuring dozens more.
According to local medical officials, most of those killed were young children after Saudi airstrikes hit a Yemeni school.
"Everyone was hysterical, some were crying and shouting in panic," Fatehiya Kahlani, principal of Al Raei school, told Al Jazeera. "The situation was horrible as the school population is 2,100. Some girl students were killed and others were wounded and are in a hospital as a result of the missile strike. The school building was destroyed too."
None— Fatik Al-Rodaini (@Fatik Al-Rodaini) 1560966770
As Al Jazeera reported:
Youssef al-Hadrii, a spokesman for the rebel-controlled health ministry, was quoted by DPA news agency as saying that the attack on Sunday left more than 39 people wounded.
He said most of the victims were students killed in the bombing of houses and a school.
The Saudi-led coalition denied bombing the area.
Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), who helped lead the Senate effort to end U.S. complicity in Saudi Arabia's atrocities in Yemen, once again called on Trump to sign the Yemen Wars Powers resolution.
"Another horrific attack in the Saudi-led war in Yemen. More children dead," tweeted Sanders, a 2020 presidential candidate. "President Trump, I urge you to sign the resolution Congress passed last week ending U.S. support for this conflict. Yemen needs humanitarian aid, not more bombs."
\u201cAnother horrific attack in the Saudi-led war in Yemen. More children dead. President Trump, I urge you to sign the resolution Congress passed last week ending U.S. support for this conflict. Yemen needs humanitarian aid, not more bombs.\u201d— Bernie Sanders (@Bernie Sanders) 1554688040
Reacting to the latest Saudi-led attack on Yemen--which comes around two weeks after the coalition bombed a Yemeni hospital--Rep. Ted Lieu (D-Calif.) demanded to know whether the Trump administration provided the Saudis with "targeting or other assistance... for this airstrike that killed girl students."
"Why is the Trump administration still supporting the Saudi-led coalition, which has committed multiple war crimes?" Lieu asked.
\u201cDear @SecPompeo, @ActingSecDef: Did the US provide targeting or other assistance to #SaudiArabia for this airstrike that killed girl students in #Yemen?\n\nWhy is the @realDonaldTrump Administration still supporting the #Saudi led coalition, which has committed multiple war crimes?\u201d— Ted Lieu (@Ted Lieu) 1554657708
Reports of the Saudi-led coalition's continued bombing of Yemen come days after the U.S. House voted to send the Yemen War Powers resolution to Trump's desk.
If the president signs the measure, it would end U.S. military assistance to the Saudis in its years-long war on Yemen, which has created the world's worst humanitarian disaster.
While Trump is expected to veto the measure, a bipartisan group of lawmakers sent a letter to the president last week requesting a meeting on the resolution and urging him to sign it.
"We believe that by signing this historic legislation to terminate an unconstitutional war that predates your presidency, you will set a new precedent for cooperation with both chambers of Congress to overcome such entrenched opposition to foreign-policy restraint," reads the letter, which was signed by Sanders, Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.), Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.), Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), and other lawmakers.
With a War Powers resolution that would end U.S. military support for Saudi Arabia's assault on Yemen currently on President Donald Trump's desk, the Saudi-led coalition on Sunday reportedly bombed a residential area in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa, killing at least 11 and injuring dozens more.
According to local medical officials, most of those killed were young children after Saudi airstrikes hit a Yemeni school.
"Everyone was hysterical, some were crying and shouting in panic," Fatehiya Kahlani, principal of Al Raei school, told Al Jazeera. "The situation was horrible as the school population is 2,100. Some girl students were killed and others were wounded and are in a hospital as a result of the missile strike. The school building was destroyed too."
None— Fatik Al-Rodaini (@Fatik Al-Rodaini) 1560966770
As Al Jazeera reported:
Youssef al-Hadrii, a spokesman for the rebel-controlled health ministry, was quoted by DPA news agency as saying that the attack on Sunday left more than 39 people wounded.
He said most of the victims were students killed in the bombing of houses and a school.
The Saudi-led coalition denied bombing the area.
Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), who helped lead the Senate effort to end U.S. complicity in Saudi Arabia's atrocities in Yemen, once again called on Trump to sign the Yemen Wars Powers resolution.
"Another horrific attack in the Saudi-led war in Yemen. More children dead," tweeted Sanders, a 2020 presidential candidate. "President Trump, I urge you to sign the resolution Congress passed last week ending U.S. support for this conflict. Yemen needs humanitarian aid, not more bombs."
\u201cAnother horrific attack in the Saudi-led war in Yemen. More children dead. President Trump, I urge you to sign the resolution Congress passed last week ending U.S. support for this conflict. Yemen needs humanitarian aid, not more bombs.\u201d— Bernie Sanders (@Bernie Sanders) 1554688040
Reacting to the latest Saudi-led attack on Yemen--which comes around two weeks after the coalition bombed a Yemeni hospital--Rep. Ted Lieu (D-Calif.) demanded to know whether the Trump administration provided the Saudis with "targeting or other assistance... for this airstrike that killed girl students."
"Why is the Trump administration still supporting the Saudi-led coalition, which has committed multiple war crimes?" Lieu asked.
\u201cDear @SecPompeo, @ActingSecDef: Did the US provide targeting or other assistance to #SaudiArabia for this airstrike that killed girl students in #Yemen?\n\nWhy is the @realDonaldTrump Administration still supporting the #Saudi led coalition, which has committed multiple war crimes?\u201d— Ted Lieu (@Ted Lieu) 1554657708
Reports of the Saudi-led coalition's continued bombing of Yemen come days after the U.S. House voted to send the Yemen War Powers resolution to Trump's desk.
If the president signs the measure, it would end U.S. military assistance to the Saudis in its years-long war on Yemen, which has created the world's worst humanitarian disaster.
While Trump is expected to veto the measure, a bipartisan group of lawmakers sent a letter to the president last week requesting a meeting on the resolution and urging him to sign it.
"We believe that by signing this historic legislation to terminate an unconstitutional war that predates your presidency, you will set a new precedent for cooperation with both chambers of Congress to overcome such entrenched opposition to foreign-policy restraint," reads the letter, which was signed by Sanders, Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.), Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.), Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), and other lawmakers.