
For remaining silent amid threats by President Donald Trump against press freedoms, advocacy groups and Democratic lawmakers are calling on FCC Chairman Ajit Pai to speak out. (Image: via Free Press)
When FCC Chairman Won't Condemn Trump's Threats Against Free Press: 'Worry'
"When it comes to defending press freedom from this president’s threats, this is mission critical."
While advocates of press freedom condemned the comments and lawmakers urged the Federal Communication Commission to specifically rebuke them, FCC Chairman Ajit Pai has so far refused to denounce President Donald Trump's threats to strip news outlets of their "licenses"--something he himself doesn't have the power to do but which critics say speaks directly to his "authoritarian" tendencies.
But while members from both parties condemned the implications of Trump's remarks--and other FCC commissions assured the public that they would stand in the way of such attempts--many said that Pai's strategic "silence" on the issue is cause for deep concern of its own.
As The Nation's John Nichols said in response to Pai's refusal to speak out: "Worry."
\u201cFCC chair Ajit Pai has refused to comment on Trump's talk of using the FCC to punish dissenting media.\nWorry.\nhttps://t.co/xVNdZzuLFa\u201d— John Nichols (@John Nichols) 1507903557
"When it comes to defending press freedom from this president's threats, " Nichols wrote in a column on Wednesday, "this is mission critical for those who take seriously their duty to defend the First Amendment that Donald Trump so casually disregards."
And Bloomberg's Todd Shields notes how "the presidential threat evoked memories of intimidation by President Richard Nixon, who urged his lieutenants to interfere with the renewal of the Washington Post's licenses for Florida TV stations in 1972."
And so why Democrats on Thursday called for hearings over Trump's veiled threats about media licenses, advocacy groups like Free Press did their best to turn up the heat on Pai:
\u201cACTION ALERT: Tell @AjitPaiFCC: Take a stand and publicly reject Trump's attacks on 1st Amendment press freedom\u2014 https://t.co/QD4aN11f3j\u201d— Free Press (@Free Press) 1507840811
An Urgent Message From Our Co-Founder
Dear Common Dreams reader, The U.S. is on a fast track to authoritarianism like nothing I've ever seen. Meanwhile, corporate news outlets are utterly capitulating to Trump, twisting their coverage to avoid drawing his ire while lining up to stuff cash in his pockets. That's why I believe that Common Dreams is doing the best and most consequential reporting that we've ever done. Our small but mighty team is a progressive reporting powerhouse, covering the news every day that the corporate media never will. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. And to ignite change for the common good. Now here's the key piece that I want all our readers to understand: None of this would be possible without your financial support. That's not just some fundraising cliche. It's the absolute and literal truth. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. The final deadline for our crucial Summer Campaign fundraising drive is just days away, and we’re falling short of our must-hit goal. Will you donate now to help power the nonprofit, independent reporting of Common Dreams? Thank you for being a vital member of our community. Together, we can keep independent journalism alive when it’s needed most. - Craig Brown, Co-founder |
While advocates of press freedom condemned the comments and lawmakers urged the Federal Communication Commission to specifically rebuke them, FCC Chairman Ajit Pai has so far refused to denounce President Donald Trump's threats to strip news outlets of their "licenses"--something he himself doesn't have the power to do but which critics say speaks directly to his "authoritarian" tendencies.
But while members from both parties condemned the implications of Trump's remarks--and other FCC commissions assured the public that they would stand in the way of such attempts--many said that Pai's strategic "silence" on the issue is cause for deep concern of its own.
As The Nation's John Nichols said in response to Pai's refusal to speak out: "Worry."
\u201cFCC chair Ajit Pai has refused to comment on Trump's talk of using the FCC to punish dissenting media.\nWorry.\nhttps://t.co/xVNdZzuLFa\u201d— John Nichols (@John Nichols) 1507903557
"When it comes to defending press freedom from this president's threats, " Nichols wrote in a column on Wednesday, "this is mission critical for those who take seriously their duty to defend the First Amendment that Donald Trump so casually disregards."
And Bloomberg's Todd Shields notes how "the presidential threat evoked memories of intimidation by President Richard Nixon, who urged his lieutenants to interfere with the renewal of the Washington Post's licenses for Florida TV stations in 1972."
And so why Democrats on Thursday called for hearings over Trump's veiled threats about media licenses, advocacy groups like Free Press did their best to turn up the heat on Pai:
\u201cACTION ALERT: Tell @AjitPaiFCC: Take a stand and publicly reject Trump's attacks on 1st Amendment press freedom\u2014 https://t.co/QD4aN11f3j\u201d— Free Press (@Free Press) 1507840811
While advocates of press freedom condemned the comments and lawmakers urged the Federal Communication Commission to specifically rebuke them, FCC Chairman Ajit Pai has so far refused to denounce President Donald Trump's threats to strip news outlets of their "licenses"--something he himself doesn't have the power to do but which critics say speaks directly to his "authoritarian" tendencies.
But while members from both parties condemned the implications of Trump's remarks--and other FCC commissions assured the public that they would stand in the way of such attempts--many said that Pai's strategic "silence" on the issue is cause for deep concern of its own.
As The Nation's John Nichols said in response to Pai's refusal to speak out: "Worry."
\u201cFCC chair Ajit Pai has refused to comment on Trump's talk of using the FCC to punish dissenting media.\nWorry.\nhttps://t.co/xVNdZzuLFa\u201d— John Nichols (@John Nichols) 1507903557
"When it comes to defending press freedom from this president's threats, " Nichols wrote in a column on Wednesday, "this is mission critical for those who take seriously their duty to defend the First Amendment that Donald Trump so casually disregards."
And Bloomberg's Todd Shields notes how "the presidential threat evoked memories of intimidation by President Richard Nixon, who urged his lieutenants to interfere with the renewal of the Washington Post's licenses for Florida TV stations in 1972."
And so why Democrats on Thursday called for hearings over Trump's veiled threats about media licenses, advocacy groups like Free Press did their best to turn up the heat on Pai:
\u201cACTION ALERT: Tell @AjitPaiFCC: Take a stand and publicly reject Trump's attacks on 1st Amendment press freedom\u2014 https://t.co/QD4aN11f3j\u201d— Free Press (@Free Press) 1507840811