

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
President Barack Obama on Monday announced plans to send up to 250 more troops to Syria to allegedly aid in the fight against the Islamic State (ISIS), just a day after he made emphatic statements against using ground troops to deal with the crisis there.
The deployment will increase the U.S. troop count in Syria to 300. Obama made the announcement during a visit to Hanover, Germany, stating that the decision comes in response to Syrian fighters recently gaining back territory from the militant group.
"Given the success, I've approved the deployment of up to 250 additional personnel in Syria, including special forces to keep up this momentum," he said.
The Wall Street Journal reports:
A major focus of the additional American personnel will be trying to get more Sunni Arabs to join the fight alongside Kurdish units in northeastern Syria. U.S. officials say they believe they will need a larger Sunni Arab force to help clear and hold Arab-dominated communities in and around Raqqa, the Islamic State stronghold, as an eventual assault begins there against Islamic State and members of the militant group are pushed out of those areas.
Last week, Obama also announced he would send 217 troops to Iraq to aid in the fight against ISIS.
The announcement garnered instant criticism from opponents of the so-called war on terror. Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative journalist Seymour Hersh told Democracy Now! on Monday that he was "horrified" by the news.
"We are truly a very much hated country in the Middle East," he said in an interview with host Amy Goodman. "And it's partly because of the way we fight our wars, with drone attacks, and a lot of force...a lot of killing goes on by us."
Watch:
"It's a little amazing, at this stage, he's putting more forces in," he said. "But that's his prerogative. Always makes good news. Nobody seems in this country ever to object too much when we put more people on the ground."
In an interview with BBC just a day earlier, Obama said, "It would be a mistake for the United States, or Great Britain...to send in ground troops and overthrow the Assad regime."
"In order for us to solve the long-term problems in Syria, a military solution alone--and certainly us deploying ground troops--is not going to bring that about," he said.
At least 250,000 people have died since the fighting in Syria began in 2011.
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
President Barack Obama on Monday announced plans to send up to 250 more troops to Syria to allegedly aid in the fight against the Islamic State (ISIS), just a day after he made emphatic statements against using ground troops to deal with the crisis there.
The deployment will increase the U.S. troop count in Syria to 300. Obama made the announcement during a visit to Hanover, Germany, stating that the decision comes in response to Syrian fighters recently gaining back territory from the militant group.
"Given the success, I've approved the deployment of up to 250 additional personnel in Syria, including special forces to keep up this momentum," he said.
The Wall Street Journal reports:
A major focus of the additional American personnel will be trying to get more Sunni Arabs to join the fight alongside Kurdish units in northeastern Syria. U.S. officials say they believe they will need a larger Sunni Arab force to help clear and hold Arab-dominated communities in and around Raqqa, the Islamic State stronghold, as an eventual assault begins there against Islamic State and members of the militant group are pushed out of those areas.
Last week, Obama also announced he would send 217 troops to Iraq to aid in the fight against ISIS.
The announcement garnered instant criticism from opponents of the so-called war on terror. Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative journalist Seymour Hersh told Democracy Now! on Monday that he was "horrified" by the news.
"We are truly a very much hated country in the Middle East," he said in an interview with host Amy Goodman. "And it's partly because of the way we fight our wars, with drone attacks, and a lot of force...a lot of killing goes on by us."
Watch:
"It's a little amazing, at this stage, he's putting more forces in," he said. "But that's his prerogative. Always makes good news. Nobody seems in this country ever to object too much when we put more people on the ground."
In an interview with BBC just a day earlier, Obama said, "It would be a mistake for the United States, or Great Britain...to send in ground troops and overthrow the Assad regime."
"In order for us to solve the long-term problems in Syria, a military solution alone--and certainly us deploying ground troops--is not going to bring that about," he said.
At least 250,000 people have died since the fighting in Syria began in 2011.
President Barack Obama on Monday announced plans to send up to 250 more troops to Syria to allegedly aid in the fight against the Islamic State (ISIS), just a day after he made emphatic statements against using ground troops to deal with the crisis there.
The deployment will increase the U.S. troop count in Syria to 300. Obama made the announcement during a visit to Hanover, Germany, stating that the decision comes in response to Syrian fighters recently gaining back territory from the militant group.
"Given the success, I've approved the deployment of up to 250 additional personnel in Syria, including special forces to keep up this momentum," he said.
The Wall Street Journal reports:
A major focus of the additional American personnel will be trying to get more Sunni Arabs to join the fight alongside Kurdish units in northeastern Syria. U.S. officials say they believe they will need a larger Sunni Arab force to help clear and hold Arab-dominated communities in and around Raqqa, the Islamic State stronghold, as an eventual assault begins there against Islamic State and members of the militant group are pushed out of those areas.
Last week, Obama also announced he would send 217 troops to Iraq to aid in the fight against ISIS.
The announcement garnered instant criticism from opponents of the so-called war on terror. Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative journalist Seymour Hersh told Democracy Now! on Monday that he was "horrified" by the news.
"We are truly a very much hated country in the Middle East," he said in an interview with host Amy Goodman. "And it's partly because of the way we fight our wars, with drone attacks, and a lot of force...a lot of killing goes on by us."
Watch:
"It's a little amazing, at this stage, he's putting more forces in," he said. "But that's his prerogative. Always makes good news. Nobody seems in this country ever to object too much when we put more people on the ground."
In an interview with BBC just a day earlier, Obama said, "It would be a mistake for the United States, or Great Britain...to send in ground troops and overthrow the Assad regime."
"In order for us to solve the long-term problems in Syria, a military solution alone--and certainly us deploying ground troops--is not going to bring that about," he said.
At least 250,000 people have died since the fighting in Syria began in 2011.