Aug 25, 2015
Of the 116 men currently detained at Guantanamo Bay military prison, only three were captured by U.S. forces, while the rest were apprehended by foreign spies and warlords--new revelations which cast yet another layer of doubt on the veracity of their alleged crimes and the general purpose of the facility.
According to a Guardiananalysis of U.S. military capture information, nearly 85 percent of detentions at Guantanamo Bay come from "foreign partners with their own interests in round-ups--overwhelmingly of Arab men in south Asian countries."
"The foundations of the guilt of the remaining 113...involves a degree of faith in the Pakistani and Afghan spies, warlords and security services," writes the Guardian's Spencer Ackerman.
In addition to Pakistan and Afghanistan, other countries that have sent detainees to Guantanamo Bay include Georgia, Turkey, Mauritania, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Thailand, Somalia, Kenya, and Iran, Ackerman writes.
It has been known for years that many of the men were sold to the U.S. for a bounty, a practice which Amnesty International in 2007 said created a "culture in Pakistan where abductions, unlawful detentions, enforced disappearances, torture and deaths in custody occur with total impunity."
Even still, many U.S. officials continue to take the position that those being held at Guantanamo Bay are "the worst of the worst" terrorists, as Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.) recently said, even as dozens of detainees await freedom after being cleared for release.
However, Ackerman notes, that sentiment is not shared among U.S. officials who are 'in the know':
Knowledgable US officials, including former Guantanamo prosecutors, consider that assessment overblown, particularly for the 52 men approved in 2010 by a multi-agency US assessment for transfer out of the facility.
[...] "There is great reason to disbelieve claims that detainees at Guantanamo are the 'worst of the worst', including the fact that many were sold to the US for a bounty, not based on any real quality intelligence the US had gathered," said Laura Pitter of Human Rights Watch.
President Barack Obama, who campaigned on a promise to close Guantanamo Bay during his first year in office, in July was reportedly in "the final stages" of planning to shut down the facility. But as Common Dreams reported earlier this month, the Pentagon has intervened in at least a few cases to prevent the release of a hunger-striking inmate and several detainees who have already been cleared to go home.
Our work is licensed under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0). Feel free to republish and share widely.
We've had enough. The 1% own and operate the corporate media. They are doing everything they can to defend the status quo, squash dissent and protect the wealthy and the powerful. The Common Dreams media model is different. We cover the news that matters to the 99%. Our mission? To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. How? Nonprofit. Independent. Reader-supported. Free to read. Free to republish. Free to share. With no advertising. No paywalls. No selling of your data. Thousands of small donations fund our newsroom and allow us to continue publishing. Can you chip in? We can't do it without you. Thank you.