

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.

Top intelligence officials, including NSA director Gen. Keith Alexander, speaking before Congress Wednesday said that the NSA secret spy program has helped thwart over 50 "potential terrorist events," including 10 within the United States.
A new examination of all incidents of "homegrown jihadist and non-jihadist terrorism" in the US since 9/11 by the nonprofit think-tank the New America Foundation along with Syracuse's Maxwell School found that "NSA surveillance yielded little of major value to prevent numerous attacks in the United States."
"This suggests that the NSA surveillance programs are wide-ranging fishing expeditions with little to show for them," writes Peter Bergen, CNN national security analyst and director at the New America Foundation.
Bergen continues:
Homegrown jihadist extremists have mounted 42 plots to conduct attacks within the United States since 2001. Of those plots, nine involved an actual terrorist act that was not prevented by any type of government action, such as the failed attempt by Faisal Shahzad to blow up a car bomb in Times Square on May 1, 2010.
Of the remaining 33 plots, the public record shows that at least 29 were uncovered by traditional law enforcement methods, such as the use of informants, reliance on community tips about suspicious activity and other standard policing practices.
"[W]e are...concerned that the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) Section 702 collection program [...] and the bulk phone records collection program operating under Section 215 of the USA PATRIOT ACT are being conflated in a way that exaggerates the value and usefulness of the bulk phone records collection program," said Senators Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) and Mark Udall (D-Colo.) in a statement released Wednesday.
"Based on the evidence that we have seen," continue the senators, "it appears that the bulk phone records collection program under section 215 of the USA Patriot Act played little or no role in most of these disruptions. Saying that 'these programs' have disrupted 'dozens of potential terrorist plots' is misleading if the bulk phone records collection program is actually providing little or no unique value."
The two Senators have consistently criticized their program, even prior to its leak to the public. As Udall told the Denver Post earlier this month, he knew that the NSA's actions were wrong. He added, "[I] did everything short of leaking classified information" to stop it.
_____________________
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |

Top intelligence officials, including NSA director Gen. Keith Alexander, speaking before Congress Wednesday said that the NSA secret spy program has helped thwart over 50 "potential terrorist events," including 10 within the United States.
A new examination of all incidents of "homegrown jihadist and non-jihadist terrorism" in the US since 9/11 by the nonprofit think-tank the New America Foundation along with Syracuse's Maxwell School found that "NSA surveillance yielded little of major value to prevent numerous attacks in the United States."
"This suggests that the NSA surveillance programs are wide-ranging fishing expeditions with little to show for them," writes Peter Bergen, CNN national security analyst and director at the New America Foundation.
Bergen continues:
Homegrown jihadist extremists have mounted 42 plots to conduct attacks within the United States since 2001. Of those plots, nine involved an actual terrorist act that was not prevented by any type of government action, such as the failed attempt by Faisal Shahzad to blow up a car bomb in Times Square on May 1, 2010.
Of the remaining 33 plots, the public record shows that at least 29 were uncovered by traditional law enforcement methods, such as the use of informants, reliance on community tips about suspicious activity and other standard policing practices.
"[W]e are...concerned that the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) Section 702 collection program [...] and the bulk phone records collection program operating under Section 215 of the USA PATRIOT ACT are being conflated in a way that exaggerates the value and usefulness of the bulk phone records collection program," said Senators Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) and Mark Udall (D-Colo.) in a statement released Wednesday.
"Based on the evidence that we have seen," continue the senators, "it appears that the bulk phone records collection program under section 215 of the USA Patriot Act played little or no role in most of these disruptions. Saying that 'these programs' have disrupted 'dozens of potential terrorist plots' is misleading if the bulk phone records collection program is actually providing little or no unique value."
The two Senators have consistently criticized their program, even prior to its leak to the public. As Udall told the Denver Post earlier this month, he knew that the NSA's actions were wrong. He added, "[I] did everything short of leaking classified information" to stop it.
_____________________

Top intelligence officials, including NSA director Gen. Keith Alexander, speaking before Congress Wednesday said that the NSA secret spy program has helped thwart over 50 "potential terrorist events," including 10 within the United States.
A new examination of all incidents of "homegrown jihadist and non-jihadist terrorism" in the US since 9/11 by the nonprofit think-tank the New America Foundation along with Syracuse's Maxwell School found that "NSA surveillance yielded little of major value to prevent numerous attacks in the United States."
"This suggests that the NSA surveillance programs are wide-ranging fishing expeditions with little to show for them," writes Peter Bergen, CNN national security analyst and director at the New America Foundation.
Bergen continues:
Homegrown jihadist extremists have mounted 42 plots to conduct attacks within the United States since 2001. Of those plots, nine involved an actual terrorist act that was not prevented by any type of government action, such as the failed attempt by Faisal Shahzad to blow up a car bomb in Times Square on May 1, 2010.
Of the remaining 33 plots, the public record shows that at least 29 were uncovered by traditional law enforcement methods, such as the use of informants, reliance on community tips about suspicious activity and other standard policing practices.
"[W]e are...concerned that the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) Section 702 collection program [...] and the bulk phone records collection program operating under Section 215 of the USA PATRIOT ACT are being conflated in a way that exaggerates the value and usefulness of the bulk phone records collection program," said Senators Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) and Mark Udall (D-Colo.) in a statement released Wednesday.
"Based on the evidence that we have seen," continue the senators, "it appears that the bulk phone records collection program under section 215 of the USA Patriot Act played little or no role in most of these disruptions. Saying that 'these programs' have disrupted 'dozens of potential terrorist plots' is misleading if the bulk phone records collection program is actually providing little or no unique value."
The two Senators have consistently criticized their program, even prior to its leak to the public. As Udall told the Denver Post earlier this month, he knew that the NSA's actions were wrong. He added, "[I] did everything short of leaking classified information" to stop it.
_____________________