WikiLeaks Releases Over 1,200 Clinton Emails on Iraq War
Release comes two days before the UK government is set to publish its official inquiry into the 2003 invasion
WikiLeaks on Monday marked the yearly celebration of American independence by releasing over 1,200 private emails belonging to former secretary of state and presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton pertaining to the Iraq War.
The whistleblower platform announced the new archive in a tweet, noting that the emails would be made public just two days before the UK government is set to release its official inquiry into the 2003 invasion of Iraq, initiated by former U.S. President George W. Bush with substantial backing from then-British Prime Minister Tony Blair.
Adding even more fuel to the speculation surrounding the Chilcot Inquiry, WikiLeaks on Monday also released a complete list of British MPs who voted to invade Iraq.
The emails were among the trove released by the U.S. State Department in February, according to The Hill, which WikiLeaks searched for any reference to the Iraq War. Many of the emails were news reports shared between Clinton and her staff about the ongoing U.S. occupation of Iraq.
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said last month that the new release contains "very strong material" that could be used to prosecute the former secretary of state, though he acknowledged that would be unlikely under the current administration.
"[Attorney General] Loretta Lynch...is not going to indict Hillary Clinton," he told ITV. "It's not possible that could happen, but the FBI could push for concessions from [a] new Clinton government in exchange for its lack of indictment."
The email archive is the latest to target the presumptive Democratic nominee. Late last month, the anonymous hacker Guccifer 2.0 released a trove of internal Democratic National Committee files which, among other things, exposed the behind-the-scenes maneuvers to boost Clinton's candidacy, underscoring the critique of her being the establishment party favorite.
Urgent. It's never been this bad.
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission from the outset was simple. To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It’s never been this bad out there. And it’s never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed and doing some of its best and most important work, the threats we face are intensifying. Right now, with just two days to go in our Spring Campaign, we're falling short of our make-or-break goal. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Can you make a gift right now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? There is no backup plan or rainy day fund. There is only you. —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
WikiLeaks on Monday marked the yearly celebration of American independence by releasing over 1,200 private emails belonging to former secretary of state and presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton pertaining to the Iraq War.
The whistleblower platform announced the new archive in a tweet, noting that the emails would be made public just two days before the UK government is set to release its official inquiry into the 2003 invasion of Iraq, initiated by former U.S. President George W. Bush with substantial backing from then-British Prime Minister Tony Blair.
Adding even more fuel to the speculation surrounding the Chilcot Inquiry, WikiLeaks on Monday also released a complete list of British MPs who voted to invade Iraq.
The emails were among the trove released by the U.S. State Department in February, according to The Hill, which WikiLeaks searched for any reference to the Iraq War. Many of the emails were news reports shared between Clinton and her staff about the ongoing U.S. occupation of Iraq.
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said last month that the new release contains "very strong material" that could be used to prosecute the former secretary of state, though he acknowledged that would be unlikely under the current administration.
"[Attorney General] Loretta Lynch...is not going to indict Hillary Clinton," he told ITV. "It's not possible that could happen, but the FBI could push for concessions from [a] new Clinton government in exchange for its lack of indictment."
The email archive is the latest to target the presumptive Democratic nominee. Late last month, the anonymous hacker Guccifer 2.0 released a trove of internal Democratic National Committee files which, among other things, exposed the behind-the-scenes maneuvers to boost Clinton's candidacy, underscoring the critique of her being the establishment party favorite.
WikiLeaks on Monday marked the yearly celebration of American independence by releasing over 1,200 private emails belonging to former secretary of state and presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton pertaining to the Iraq War.
The whistleblower platform announced the new archive in a tweet, noting that the emails would be made public just two days before the UK government is set to release its official inquiry into the 2003 invasion of Iraq, initiated by former U.S. President George W. Bush with substantial backing from then-British Prime Minister Tony Blair.
Adding even more fuel to the speculation surrounding the Chilcot Inquiry, WikiLeaks on Monday also released a complete list of British MPs who voted to invade Iraq.
The emails were among the trove released by the U.S. State Department in February, according to The Hill, which WikiLeaks searched for any reference to the Iraq War. Many of the emails were news reports shared between Clinton and her staff about the ongoing U.S. occupation of Iraq.
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said last month that the new release contains "very strong material" that could be used to prosecute the former secretary of state, though he acknowledged that would be unlikely under the current administration.
"[Attorney General] Loretta Lynch...is not going to indict Hillary Clinton," he told ITV. "It's not possible that could happen, but the FBI could push for concessions from [a] new Clinton government in exchange for its lack of indictment."
The email archive is the latest to target the presumptive Democratic nominee. Late last month, the anonymous hacker Guccifer 2.0 released a trove of internal Democratic National Committee files which, among other things, exposed the behind-the-scenes maneuvers to boost Clinton's candidacy, underscoring the critique of her being the establishment party favorite.

