

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
Democratic presidential candidates Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton have agreed to take part in four more debates, the national party confirmed on Wednesday.
According to reporting, the first debate will take place in New Hampshire Thursday evening and will air on MSNBC; the second will be held in the embattled Flint, Michigan in March; the next in Pennsylvania in April; and the final showdown will be held in California in May.
These come in addition to the previously scheduled debates on February 11 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and on March 9 in Miami, Florida.
The Sanders campaign pushed for an additional debate in New York City, but the Clinton camp has declined that location.
The Democratic National Committee (DNC) has come under fire this primary season for scheduling too few debates during obscure viewing times, which critics said was done intentionally to help Clinton. Just last week, the party refused to sanction the New Hampshire debate.
The extended debate schedule was announced after Sanders surprised many and nabbed a virtual tie with Clinton in Monday's Iowa caucus, perhaps indicating that the Democratic contest would extend much longer than the party initially anticipated.
"This is pretty significant," wrote the Washington Post's Greg Sargent, "because the previously announced schedule would have meant there were only two more debates happening. That had become increasingly untenable, now that we're looking at serious, competitive, protracted primary, and instead, we may now get six more debates."
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Democratic presidential candidates Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton have agreed to take part in four more debates, the national party confirmed on Wednesday.
According to reporting, the first debate will take place in New Hampshire Thursday evening and will air on MSNBC; the second will be held in the embattled Flint, Michigan in March; the next in Pennsylvania in April; and the final showdown will be held in California in May.
These come in addition to the previously scheduled debates on February 11 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and on March 9 in Miami, Florida.
The Sanders campaign pushed for an additional debate in New York City, but the Clinton camp has declined that location.
The Democratic National Committee (DNC) has come under fire this primary season for scheduling too few debates during obscure viewing times, which critics said was done intentionally to help Clinton. Just last week, the party refused to sanction the New Hampshire debate.
The extended debate schedule was announced after Sanders surprised many and nabbed a virtual tie with Clinton in Monday's Iowa caucus, perhaps indicating that the Democratic contest would extend much longer than the party initially anticipated.
"This is pretty significant," wrote the Washington Post's Greg Sargent, "because the previously announced schedule would have meant there were only two more debates happening. That had become increasingly untenable, now that we're looking at serious, competitive, protracted primary, and instead, we may now get six more debates."
Democratic presidential candidates Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton have agreed to take part in four more debates, the national party confirmed on Wednesday.
According to reporting, the first debate will take place in New Hampshire Thursday evening and will air on MSNBC; the second will be held in the embattled Flint, Michigan in March; the next in Pennsylvania in April; and the final showdown will be held in California in May.
These come in addition to the previously scheduled debates on February 11 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and on March 9 in Miami, Florida.
The Sanders campaign pushed for an additional debate in New York City, but the Clinton camp has declined that location.
The Democratic National Committee (DNC) has come under fire this primary season for scheduling too few debates during obscure viewing times, which critics said was done intentionally to help Clinton. Just last week, the party refused to sanction the New Hampshire debate.
The extended debate schedule was announced after Sanders surprised many and nabbed a virtual tie with Clinton in Monday's Iowa caucus, perhaps indicating that the Democratic contest would extend much longer than the party initially anticipated.
"This is pretty significant," wrote the Washington Post's Greg Sargent, "because the previously announced schedule would have meant there were only two more debates happening. That had become increasingly untenable, now that we're looking at serious, competitive, protracted primary, and instead, we may now get six more debates."