

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
Israeli military forces this summer engaged in deliberate, large-scale destruction of Palestinian civilian buildings that constitutes war crimes, Amnesty International stated Tuesday.
The finding, released in group's new briefing Nothing is immune: Israel's destruction of landmark buildings in Gaza, is based on four attacks on "multi-storey landmark buildings in Gaza."
The strikes took place during the last days of what Israel called Operation Protective Edge, an military offensive in July and August that killed over 2,100 Palestinians, including over 500 children.
The buildings include three residential tower blocks in Gaza City and one commercial center in Rafah, and though, Amnesty International states, "the Israeli military took measures to ensure that residents left the targeted buildings before their destruction," the attacks injured scores of people nearby and caused widespread destruction of homes, property and belongings.
The attacks amount to collective punishment, the group states.
"All the evidence we have shows this large-scale destruction was carried out deliberately and with no military justification," Philip Luther, Director of the Middle East and North Africa Program at Amnesty International, said in a statement.
"Both the facts on the ground and statements made by Israeli military spokespeople at the time indicate that the attacks were a collective punishment against the people of Gaza and were designed to destroy their already precarious livelihoods," he stated.
The new charge follows a separate report issued last month by the human rights group that noted eight instances during the summer assault in which the army acted with "callous indifference" by targeting houses full of families without warning. And Human Rights Watch declared in a report issued in September that Israel's strikes this summer on United Nations schools in Gaza that were sheltering thousands of displaced people were "in violation of the laws of war."
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Israeli military forces this summer engaged in deliberate, large-scale destruction of Palestinian civilian buildings that constitutes war crimes, Amnesty International stated Tuesday.
The finding, released in group's new briefing Nothing is immune: Israel's destruction of landmark buildings in Gaza, is based on four attacks on "multi-storey landmark buildings in Gaza."
The strikes took place during the last days of what Israel called Operation Protective Edge, an military offensive in July and August that killed over 2,100 Palestinians, including over 500 children.
The buildings include three residential tower blocks in Gaza City and one commercial center in Rafah, and though, Amnesty International states, "the Israeli military took measures to ensure that residents left the targeted buildings before their destruction," the attacks injured scores of people nearby and caused widespread destruction of homes, property and belongings.
The attacks amount to collective punishment, the group states.
"All the evidence we have shows this large-scale destruction was carried out deliberately and with no military justification," Philip Luther, Director of the Middle East and North Africa Program at Amnesty International, said in a statement.
"Both the facts on the ground and statements made by Israeli military spokespeople at the time indicate that the attacks were a collective punishment against the people of Gaza and were designed to destroy their already precarious livelihoods," he stated.
The new charge follows a separate report issued last month by the human rights group that noted eight instances during the summer assault in which the army acted with "callous indifference" by targeting houses full of families without warning. And Human Rights Watch declared in a report issued in September that Israel's strikes this summer on United Nations schools in Gaza that were sheltering thousands of displaced people were "in violation of the laws of war."
Israeli military forces this summer engaged in deliberate, large-scale destruction of Palestinian civilian buildings that constitutes war crimes, Amnesty International stated Tuesday.
The finding, released in group's new briefing Nothing is immune: Israel's destruction of landmark buildings in Gaza, is based on four attacks on "multi-storey landmark buildings in Gaza."
The strikes took place during the last days of what Israel called Operation Protective Edge, an military offensive in July and August that killed over 2,100 Palestinians, including over 500 children.
The buildings include three residential tower blocks in Gaza City and one commercial center in Rafah, and though, Amnesty International states, "the Israeli military took measures to ensure that residents left the targeted buildings before their destruction," the attacks injured scores of people nearby and caused widespread destruction of homes, property and belongings.
The attacks amount to collective punishment, the group states.
"All the evidence we have shows this large-scale destruction was carried out deliberately and with no military justification," Philip Luther, Director of the Middle East and North Africa Program at Amnesty International, said in a statement.
"Both the facts on the ground and statements made by Israeli military spokespeople at the time indicate that the attacks were a collective punishment against the people of Gaza and were designed to destroy their already precarious livelihoods," he stated.
The new charge follows a separate report issued last month by the human rights group that noted eight instances during the summer assault in which the army acted with "callous indifference" by targeting houses full of families without warning. And Human Rights Watch declared in a report issued in September that Israel's strikes this summer on United Nations schools in Gaza that were sheltering thousands of displaced people were "in violation of the laws of war."