Without Warning, US Bombs Yemen
Hours ahead of evacuation of US embassy, 'five missiles' from suspected drone turn truck into 'fireball'
According to ABC News, Yemeni officials said a suspected US drone "fired a missile at a car carrying four men in the al-Arqeen district of Marib province, setting it on fire and killing all of them. They believed that one of the dead is Saleh Jouti, a senior al-Qaida member."
The US bombing--the latest in a string against the poverty-stricken and politically fractured nation--comes amid a global travel warning for US citizens issued by the State Department late last week and the closure of more than twenty embassies and consulates across the Middle East and North Africa.
As the Bureau for Investivative Journalism reports:
The men were killed when as many as five missiles hit their vehicle as they drove through the central province of Marib in the early hours. All four in the car were Yemeni and the attack 'turned [the vehicle] into a ball of fire', a tribal source told AFP.
On Tuesday, the US also ordered the evacuation of its embassy in Yemen's capital of Sana'a.
Acccording to the BBC, the evacuation of all "US citizens and non-emergency staff" follows what US intelligence agencies claim were "high-level intercepts" between top Al-Qaeda leaders and an influx of suspected jihadist operatives into Yemen in recent days.
"The US Department of State warns US citizens of the high security threat level in Yemen due to terrorist activities and civil unrest," read Tuesday's warning by the State Dept. "The department urges US citizens to defer travel to Yemen and those US citizens currently living in Yemen to depart immediately."
"The security threat level in Yemen is extremely high," the warning concluded, but offered no advice to Yemeni citizens on how to avoid being caught up in a US drone strike.
According to the Bureau of Investigative Journalism statistics, US drone bombings in Yemen have killed as many as 1,052 people over the last decade, with close to 200 classified as "civilians" including more than two dozen children.
_________________________________________
An Urgent Message From Our Co-Founder
Dear Common Dreams reader, The U.S. is on a fast track to authoritarianism like nothing I've ever seen. Meanwhile, corporate news outlets are utterly capitulating to Trump, twisting their coverage to avoid drawing his ire while lining up to stuff cash in his pockets. That's why I believe that Common Dreams is doing the best and most consequential reporting that we've ever done. Our small but mighty team is a progressive reporting powerhouse, covering the news every day that the corporate media never will. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. And to ignite change for the common good. Now here's the key piece that I want all our readers to understand: None of this would be possible without your financial support. That's not just some fundraising cliche. It's the absolute and literal truth. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. The final deadline for our crucial Summer Campaign fundraising drive is just days away, and we’re falling short of our must-hit goal. Will you donate now to help power the nonprofit, independent reporting of Common Dreams? Thank you for being a vital member of our community. Together, we can keep independent journalism alive when it’s needed most. - Craig Brown, Co-founder |
According to ABC News, Yemeni officials said a suspected US drone "fired a missile at a car carrying four men in the al-Arqeen district of Marib province, setting it on fire and killing all of them. They believed that one of the dead is Saleh Jouti, a senior al-Qaida member."
The US bombing--the latest in a string against the poverty-stricken and politically fractured nation--comes amid a global travel warning for US citizens issued by the State Department late last week and the closure of more than twenty embassies and consulates across the Middle East and North Africa.
As the Bureau for Investivative Journalism reports:
The men were killed when as many as five missiles hit their vehicle as they drove through the central province of Marib in the early hours. All four in the car were Yemeni and the attack 'turned [the vehicle] into a ball of fire', a tribal source told AFP.
On Tuesday, the US also ordered the evacuation of its embassy in Yemen's capital of Sana'a.
Acccording to the BBC, the evacuation of all "US citizens and non-emergency staff" follows what US intelligence agencies claim were "high-level intercepts" between top Al-Qaeda leaders and an influx of suspected jihadist operatives into Yemen in recent days.
"The US Department of State warns US citizens of the high security threat level in Yemen due to terrorist activities and civil unrest," read Tuesday's warning by the State Dept. "The department urges US citizens to defer travel to Yemen and those US citizens currently living in Yemen to depart immediately."
"The security threat level in Yemen is extremely high," the warning concluded, but offered no advice to Yemeni citizens on how to avoid being caught up in a US drone strike.
According to the Bureau of Investigative Journalism statistics, US drone bombings in Yemen have killed as many as 1,052 people over the last decade, with close to 200 classified as "civilians" including more than two dozen children.
_________________________________________
According to ABC News, Yemeni officials said a suspected US drone "fired a missile at a car carrying four men in the al-Arqeen district of Marib province, setting it on fire and killing all of them. They believed that one of the dead is Saleh Jouti, a senior al-Qaida member."
The US bombing--the latest in a string against the poverty-stricken and politically fractured nation--comes amid a global travel warning for US citizens issued by the State Department late last week and the closure of more than twenty embassies and consulates across the Middle East and North Africa.
As the Bureau for Investivative Journalism reports:
The men were killed when as many as five missiles hit their vehicle as they drove through the central province of Marib in the early hours. All four in the car were Yemeni and the attack 'turned [the vehicle] into a ball of fire', a tribal source told AFP.
On Tuesday, the US also ordered the evacuation of its embassy in Yemen's capital of Sana'a.
Acccording to the BBC, the evacuation of all "US citizens and non-emergency staff" follows what US intelligence agencies claim were "high-level intercepts" between top Al-Qaeda leaders and an influx of suspected jihadist operatives into Yemen in recent days.
"The US Department of State warns US citizens of the high security threat level in Yemen due to terrorist activities and civil unrest," read Tuesday's warning by the State Dept. "The department urges US citizens to defer travel to Yemen and those US citizens currently living in Yemen to depart immediately."
"The security threat level in Yemen is extremely high," the warning concluded, but offered no advice to Yemeni citizens on how to avoid being caught up in a US drone strike.
According to the Bureau of Investigative Journalism statistics, US drone bombings in Yemen have killed as many as 1,052 people over the last decade, with close to 200 classified as "civilians" including more than two dozen children.
_________________________________________